Watching out for each other

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottF

I read with interest the thread on keeping your VHF radio turned on 24/7. It occurred to me that just watching the boats around us is also effective. In the past year, we've spotted a drifting, apparently disabled rental boat (throttles not in neutral) and a houseboat entering our little bay at last light (easy to guide them past the whales on a jetski). Of course, we've also been the recipient of a tow, a gift of gas and other kindnesses.

Last edited:
all the courtesy rules about giving people room on the beach certainly go away as it starts getting dark. It seems there is a fine line between helping and butting in
I agree with your "butting in" comment and have edited my post.

Years ago we were camped in Rock Creek and kept hearing a couple on the radio calling for help from Wahweap boat rentals, they were camped on the [then] rock/mud island off the entrance to Rock Creek - no one responded to them and my husband finally inquired what their problem. They had pulled into the spot last night when it was getting dark and were now stuck and could not get the houseboat off the beach. We tried relaying a call to Wahweap on the proper channel and no response. Called the people back and George tried to walk them through what might work... no luck, finally we broke put things away on our boat and left our things in our campsite and went out to find them.. went right to their location and it was so muddy we could not even get our boat onto the beach near their houseboat... so I dropped George off to walk over there and then idled out in the bay while he went on their boat to help them... it was one of the 36 footers, but they were so close to shore on their port side there was not a lot of swing room even for the smaller boat... George knowing what he was doing from our houseboating years got them off the beach pretty quicky, but this couple with their child were all new to houseboating and had no idea... George talked to them a little while giving them some tips as they were hoping to make Rainbow Bridge that afternoon, I picked him up off the back of their boat and we returned to our camp and they continued on their trip..... so yes, we all need to help out as we can at Lake Powell... a friend of our's out fishing in his little rubber boat up the San Juan one year actually came upon a broken down power boat and pulled it to shore while we watched from the other side of the bay trying to figure out what he was doing... he made sure they were secure and took one of them out into the bay within sight of Navajo Mountain to call Executive Services on their cell phone to request a tow back to Wahweap.

We only had one issue with late incoming boats camping next to us. I walked over and told them they need to be gone at first light, as they were so close that their anchor was almost in front of our boat. They were very polite and quiet and even offered me a beer. They were gone when we got up.
Another time, a houseboat pulled up on the opposite side of a sandbar in Rock Creek where we were camped. We could not see them, but hear them. Best night on the lake ever!!!! Skinny dipping off the back of the boat with The Phantom of the Opera drifting over the hill from their boat, And a BIG October full moon rising! Forget that the captain built the firepit in wet sand, the ravens got the uncooked T bones the next morning, and we did cold KFC for dinner that night! Every trip was a wonderful adventure!

Last year on two different occasions we gave away maps of Lake Powell to lost rental power boaters. I can't believe that they were on the lake with just the map that comes in the Aramark rental brochure. We were camped in Gunsight Bay near the main channel. Both groups were looking for Warm Creek Bay and the cut to go back to the rental dock. We also gave them several bottles of water. One family was from LA and the other was from France. Now we carry a couple extra Stan Jones maps just in case...

This past Saturday we were stranded at the Rincon, my new boat's gas gauge is not correct as we ran out of gas with over 3/8 showing on the gauge, and had a nice couple from Spanish Fork tow us back to Bullfrog. On the way to Bullfrog we ran into another stranded boater who asked to borrow some tools, to no avail as it turned out he was also disabled, so after numerous attempts to wave people down we tied his boat to mine and Joel started to tow both of us. We were finally able to get someone to help with the second disabled boat and we made it back to Bullfrog at dusk. There was a boat who must have been camped in Lake Canyon who just ignored all the waving and hollering we were all doing, and that big cruiser that went by slowed down to look and decided against helping was just unbelievable, Joel and Nicole from Spanish Fork were very helpful and gracious in their hospitality, if anyone knows these folks please let me know their last name as they declined the cash we tried to give them, I would like surprise them with a gift certificate or something. I have now been towed three times and have towed three times so even for me and I will definitely check on you if you wave me down. I think Joel might have been a painter or a builder in Spanish Fork, a quick search did not turn up anything. They had an Ebbtide?

I feel that we have an obligation to help a fellow boater in need, isn't there some kind of code. Quick silly story. Back around 1998 when my mom was still alive I got her to come up to Page for a 3 day houseboat trip. Her first. We were on the east side of Padre Bay where I knew of a gorgeous hidden cove with what looks like huge angel wings on the cliff walls and a fairly large sandy beach. As we rounded the corner we saw a house boat on the beach so just kept moving, skirting the shore. Apparently the occupant in the houseboat thought we might pull in next to him so came storming out of the boat stark *** naked with a bagpipe and started marching up and down the beach playing some Scottish Highland song(I guess). My mom directed me to slow down so she could get a good look. I had to chuckle. Needless to say He probably had a private beach the whole time he was there. Never think you've seen it all cause you have no idea what's around the corner! The first and last time I've ever seen a bagpipe on the lake

I feel that we have an obligation to help a fellow boater in need, isn't there some kind of code. Quick silly story. Back around 1998 when my mom was still alive I got her to come up to Page for a 3 day houseboat trip. Her first. We were on the east side of Padre Bay where I knew of a gorgeous hidden cove with what looks like huge angel wings on the cliff walls and a fairly large sandy beach. As we rounded the corner we saw a house boat on the beach so just kept moving, skirting the shore. Apparently the occupant in the houseboat thought we might pull in next to him so came storming out of the boat stark *** naked with a bagpipe and started marching up and down the beach playing some Scottish Highland song(I guess). My mom directed me to slow down so she could get a good look. I had to chuckle. Needless to say He probably had a private beach the whole time he was there. Never think you've seen it all cause you have no idea what's around the corner! The first and last time I've ever seen a bagpipe on the lake

Hmmm, where can I get a set of bagpipes?

We ended up blowing our 250 Merc at Padre butte a couple of weeks ago. One boat stopped right away and after we got Aramark on the cell he decided not to try towing us. I understood as it strains the boat to tow a bass boat 15 miles. After Aramark told us it was $250 an hour until 5 and $500 an hour after 5 we offered him $500 cash and he still declined. It was 4:00 pm when we got hold of them. I was on the TM out near bouy 15 and I bet ten boats went by us and never even thought about asking if we were OK. Cost us $500 for the tow and the guy was well equipped and very professional.

I'm former USN subs and Coast Guard Aux, one of my core value's is to provide help, especially on the water. I'm now raising two Cub Scouts and instilling that value on them.

We actually look for people in need of help on the lake and aren't afraid to tow you home if needed. We stop and talk to the Kayakers a lot too, as they can be overwhelmed quickly by the lake.

Our best/funnest rescue to date was a broke down rental jet ski in the very very back of Fifty Mile Canyon on the Escalante.

And yep it goes both ways - we asked for tow last year from a beach neighbor in Bullfrog..who turned out to be my uncles neighbor here in G.J. CO...small world and you never know who you'll be helping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back