Washburn Motors, Auto, and RV in Orem, Utah

Status
Not open for further replies.

broski

All,

My Wife has found the RV of her dreams at the above mentioned dealership in Orem, Ut.

Just curious if any Wordlings have insight good or bad before I make the 5 hour drive Saturday morning?

Online reviews are overwhelmingly positive, so I am optimistic, but always like to ask.

Thanks,

-Bro

I spent most of my teenage years in Orem and currently live "next door" in Lindon. Growing up, the Washburn family was well-known and well-respected in the area - a bunch of really great people, charitable, and quite involved in the community. I went to school with some of them. I haven't had much interaction with them since I was in high school. I imagine that the business has been passed on to the next generation (or two), but I haven't heard anything that would change my positive overall opinion of them. The fact that they've stayed in business for a handful of decades must be evidence of some sort. I think they'll treat you fairly (at least) and possibly even much better. As usual, your actual mileage may vary. Good luck!

I think the foray into RVs is fairly new (at least in that location). When I was growing up, they were involved more in traditional car dealerships.

When it comes to RV dealerships, there are those that are poor, bad and very bad. There are no GOOD RV dealerships. I can say that having bought 5 RV's ranging from travel trailers and 5th wheels and motor homes. All RV dealerships are good when they are selling. The rest of the time you find that you are pretty much a stranger as you try to get warranty work done let alone scheduled in a reasonable amount of time. Once the warranty is up, than you will find yourself in an endless search for even a poor RV dealership to take care of you over the long haul. Now, I'm sounding grumpy here, but having owned a dozen boats and many RV's, a fact that can't be ignored is that boats, particularly any boat other than a stamped aluminum fishing boat, and all RV's are essentially custom built with whatever inexpensive parts the manufacturer can find for a particular model year. Being custom built, it is tough for the manufacturer to keep in place a build staff that does a consistent job. Quality assurance is relatively low on the list as well.

So, do I buy boats and RV's? Yes, and I love them. But you are as well off buying locally and not traveling many miles based upon a few opinions about how good a specific RV dealer is. Find what YOU want, not what the sales people want to sell you. Don't over buy unless you've had a lot of experience with RV's of various types. Over buying is the quickest way to experience a very stomach churning slide down the very steep depreciation curve on new RV's. They will drop 20% of value in a year and at the end of 6 years, you will have lost 80% of your investment. So, you are paying a lot for a few weeks or days or even months of fun and to me it is worth it.

So:

If you are new to RV's go in with your eyes wide open and understand that the dealer, all dealers will be your friend the day you buy. All dealers will try to talk you up in class and price range and sell you a very high profit (for them) Extended warranty product which is a waste of money because of hidden co-pays and finding someone to honor them. Do a thorough and I mean thorough pre-purchase look at the RV including lifting cushions, and best of all, take someone along who has a lot of RV experience if you don't. Those new RV's look so nice until the cupboard door has been opened and close 40 times and then falls off. You get the picture?

I have a friend who bought a half million dollar RV pusher who has had the same depreciation and technical problems that I've had with my 65 thousand dollar economy model gasser class A. I'm lucky because I have mechanical skills that let me do 99% of repairs and maintenance and I buy parts from the part manufacturer, not from the dealer or RV manufacturer who will charge up to 300% markup over the part manufacturer. Then I do my own installation.

In general, use a dealer with a long established history. They might fall in poor dealer bin and not the bad and very bad. New starts will probably cause you problems over time that they don't even know they will be causing you.

All that said, I have loved all my RV's and boats and hated ALL of the dealers, and enjoyed every dollar lost due to depreciation because of the fun of hitting the road.

Truly my own two cents and worth at least that much.

Happy RVing. Nothing is more fun than boats and RV's.

Bro, rent an RV when you need it, it will be alot cheaper in the long run. The last time we went to Alaska, which was 10 years ago, the other couple that went with us rented a 20 something footer for $500.oo per week. Sq

No offense Squirrel(if that is your real name), but prices are slightly higher these days. I just looked at Cruise America, and they're running $1330/week + $.35 a mile for a 25' unit that sleeps 5. A cabover camper w/truck is a bargain at only $845 a week plus mileage. I've never liked the thought of paying out money for nothing(leases and rentals), but to each his own.

None taken. I agree 100% with you. I don't rent anything. I have the RV/boat that stays at the lake and a 9.5' Lance/Tracker combo for travels in Co. Sq
P.S. Squirrel was in my high school yearbook in 1972. I still get mail to that name, without any problems. I would tell you my real name, but , the witness protection program people might have an issue with that.

None taken. I agree 100% with you. I don't rent anything. I have the RV/boat that stays at the lake and a 9.5' Lance/Tracker combo for travels in Co. Sq
P.S. Squirrel was in my high school yearbook in 1972. I still get mail to that name, without any problems. I would tell you my real name, but , the witness protection program people might have an issue with that.
I've wondered why there are no known photographs.

Squirrel - why recommend renting when you don't rent? Just wondering.....

Erik

If you only use it 2 or 3 times a year, seems to me it would be cheaper to rent. I have a total of $5500.00 it the 9.5' Lance cabover and the 24' Coachman class C RV. I have had the RV for about 20 years. Sq

So far, my year round RV ownership, payments, insurance, maintenance, fuel divided by the 50 days a year that I use it works out to my costs per day of about 200 dollars per day. I don't know what a newer class C rental is, but I'm thinking around 2000 per week plus a healthy hit for insurance. So, compared to my annual ownership costs for 49 days per year use, rental would run about equal to my annual ownership costs. For 21 days, the rental is easily half as expensive. These are all round numbers, but might help the general, rent/buy debate. I like owning though because I know who's been in my bed and my bathroom and what they've been doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back