Walleye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garry

Head up on March 29- April 5. Camping at Stanton Creek. Going to be fishing with in 30 minutes from camp. Hope to target walleye mostly. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Garry

We have collected and tagged walleye the last 2 years. Our uplake group camps at Stanton and has good fishing right around the Stanton Creek points and ledges. I would start right at camp and try to find them nearby. I don't know the other areas as well since I really work at Good Hope/Blue Notch when I am uplake. Fishing from the floating restroom to Red Canyon is really good for walleye from April to May.

We have collected and tagged walleye the last 2 years. Our uplake group camps at Stanton and has good fishing right around the Stanton Creek points and ledges. I would start right at camp and try to find them nearby. I don't know the other areas as well since I really work at Good Hope/Blue Notch when I am uplake. Fishing from the floating restroom to Red Canyon is really good for walleye from April to May.
Thanks Wayne

we fish the north end almost exclusively and as wayne said from the floating restroom down is great popcorn canyon the back of red canyon the horn is excellent and in recent years we have been catching quite a few in striper city though lake elevation could be tough there. Look for the round river rock on any bank that has been our ticket for success if you are wondering what that means head to the horn and check the exposed rock anywhere you see that type of rock walleyes will be chomping

we fish the north end almost exclusively and as wayne said from the floating restroom down is great popcorn canyon the back of red canyon the horn is excellent and in recent years we have been catching quite a few in striper city though lake elevation could be tough there. Look for the round river rock on any bank that has been our ticket for success if you are wondering what that means head to the horn and check the exposed rock anywhere you see that type of rock walleyes will be chomping
I am sure someone on here could post a picture of the rock you area talking about. I know the rock, but don't have any pics myself. Dungee?

Garry, there is alot of structure across from Moki wall, also the north shore between Moki and Hansen creek. The mouth of Hansen fishes well too at times. I haven't been to the lake since last May, so I don't know what it looks like currently. Try bottom bouncers (2-3ozs) with crawler harnesses or slo-death rigs. Troll them off the ends of the points on the shaded side. I wouldn't mess around trying to turn around and troll them back up hill, just reset and focus on getting a nice presentation as you drop off the end of the point. We like #3 blades, silver, chartreuse, and orange have been pretty consistent. Once you locate them you can start working jigs tipped with crawler if that's more your game. Good Luck and please keep us posted, headed down in May ourselves.

Garry, there is alot of structure across from Moki wall, also the north shore between Moki and Hansen creek. The mouth of Hansen fishes well too at times. I haven't been to the lake since last May, so I don't know what it looks like currently. Try bottom bouncers (2-3ozs) with crawler harnesses or slo-death rigs. Troll them off the ends of the points on the shaded side. I wouldn't mess around trying to turn around and troll them back up hill, just reset and focus on getting a nice presentation as you drop off the end of the point. We like #3 blades, silver, chartreuse, and orange have been pretty consistent. Once you locate them you can start working jigs tipped with crawler if that's more your game. Good Luck and please keep us posted, headed down in May ourselves.

That brings back a good memory. While working on my Masters degree at Utah State University in 1974 we were catching largemouth bass to test to see how well they survived after hooking stress. One day we were fishing for bass on the islands on the opposite side of the channel from Moki Wall and I caught my first walleye at Lake Powell. So yes - that is a good walleye spot. I remember it well.

Greatly appreciate !

What I’m picturing him saying and I can verify the walleye aspect is the little gravel islands that are around that area. On each is tons of those rounder river rocks. I’m thinking of spots to the north west of castle butte and right at the bend at the top of Good Hope as you are entering the horn.

Tried to find a couple examples.
View attachment 4248
View attachment 4249

You can spot these humps like a sore thumb cause they’re so different than the other structure. Usually featureless humps with a ton of small round river stone/gravel on them mixed with sand. Walleye do love these spots.

Those areas can be great for smallmouths particularly in the spring and fall! :)

Ed Gerdemann

Information on walleye fishing LP is pretty scarce on Youtube, however there is a fellow named Hansen that has some spear fishing videos where he is targeting walleye. You can get a pretty good idea of what structure to look for by watching them. You wouldn't believe the nooks and crevices those things hide in, no wonder they can be so frustrating!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back