“Wake Powell” - Jul 5 Striper Slurps in Navajo Canyon

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHRIS MCBETH

I swore we’d never come back to Powell over the 4th of July after past experiences and for the most part I stand by that statement... if not for the fact it’s one of the few times everyone in our family could gather we’d certainly be at home enjoying anything but this LOL.

The ramps are crowded and the parking lots are so full people are literally parking their trailers on the HIGHWAY leading into Wahweap.

And the Wake-Boats... OMG these boats will eventually drive most other boaters off the water if we don’t someday figure out a way to regulate their use or designate certain areas or timeframes off-limits.

Their destructive and disruptive wakes combine in the channels and canyons creating a gauntlet that only the largest of boats can navigate without repeated back-breaking knee-blowing head-jarring dog-injuring impact...

But our one secret weapon against them is time.

Get your butt out of bed early, and for the most part you have until about 8:30 before the kids are done eating their Cinnamon Toast Crunch and want to go out boarding.

So we made an early jaunt out of Wahweap up Navajo Canyon around 6:00am and made it to our fishing spot around 6:35.

https://goo.gl/maps/pE2vt3QyCqxvTfxV6

The water was glassy and vivid aquamarine with the red rocks lit up from the morning sun contrasting the deep blue sky that was mostly cloudless with an occasional poof. Perfect fishing conditions!

My wife saw the first one: “BOIL!!”

I aimed for it and cut the motor 50 yards away and coasted at em. As the boat approaches they go down but if you cast right beyond and reel in a little briskly they’ll strike your swim bait.

We used 1/4oz jigheads with 5” plastic swim baits that were colored like a natural shad.

When you’d hook one, wearing polarized glasses you could see several others following the victim in a bit of a frenzy.

Several times Amy and I would get fish on at the same time as the first one incites an obvious feeding response by the others who are attracted by the activity and movement.

The boils would pop up, stay up for awhile maybe 10-15 seconds on average but some stayed up until we got too close and then they’d go back down invariably rising again within 50 yards or so.

We don’t have a bass boat so the big Volvo 350 had a tendency to spook em, but we had success by getting a feel for where they’d surface next, waiting a bit off station, and when we’d see the boil our tactic was to head straight at em fairly fast and cut the engine about 50 yards away coasting like a stealth fighter right up on them.

Doing it this way we were able to slide quietly within casting distance and as long as you could cast over and beyond the slurp on your first try, you’d usually catch one or see several following your lure.

A couple times we got lucky by casting beyond the slurp and letting it dive, meanwhile the school happened upon it as they dove and moved.

Despite the issues with crowding and the wake boats, overall it was a great morning of fishing with my wife of 25 years, and well worth the effort!

(Then the Wake Boats showed up and our 24 foot Stingray was nearly swamped twice by the very kind and considerate family who thought nothing of driving right past us within 25 feet with their Cardi B blasting on the 1500W stereo through 14 speakers.)

Very fortunately the Arizona Game & Fish officers came by and ticketed them for coming too close to us, and shortly after the same cops came and boarded our boat and asked for our ARIZONA fishing licenses... now that came as a surprise since I was under the impression AZ licenses weren’t required for Powell regardless of location.

So FYI they’re out there and won’t hesitate to demand the AZ license. Fortunately we had our licenses and all the required safety equipment, so it wasn’t an issue.

While here, I also got some great pics of the fireworks in Page, and the amazing Milky Way on the highway 12 miles west of town!

Attachments

• 4F19E13D-5FFE-48B1-9835-449C9156A226.jpeg
    4F19E13D-5FFE-48B1-9835-449C9156A226.jpeg
    605.2 KB · Views: 193
  • 507B939E-8753-45FE-940F-BA147CA6B399.jpeg
    507B939E-8753-45FE-940F-BA147CA6B399.jpeg
    496.5 KB · Views: 199
  • 29283249-FDB9-4637-9B2D-F90BBEF85DF6.jpeg
    29283249-FDB9-4637-9B2D-F90BBEF85DF6.jpeg
    407.4 KB · Views: 192
  • 9CE5D87E-E895-424A-8ED3-258EC959A261.jpeg
    9CE5D87E-E895-424A-8ED3-258EC959A261.jpeg
    522.8 KB · Views: 195
  • 0E8059AD-1ECA-406B-A319-63AEB399B7DB.jpeg
    0E8059AD-1ECA-406B-A319-63AEB399B7DB.jpeg
    215.7 KB · Views: 196
  • 13E7C2DD-0517-48D0-B2CC-A821EF7EB83E.jpeg
    13E7C2DD-0517-48D0-B2CC-A821EF7EB83E.jpeg
    896.3 KB · Views: 186
  • 4B5A3AD3-B54C-4B50-868C-E3E54F008070.jpeg
    4B5A3AD3-B54C-4B50-868C-E3E54F008070.jpeg
    638.1 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
Thanks for sharing, part of Navajo canyon is in Az and if your boat is registered in Az. Then it would stand to reason that they would want to see an az license. Glad to hear they stopped and ticketed the wake boater for there unsafe boating, wish there was a lot more of that on the lake then maybe we wouldn't be hearing so about the unsafe boating practices. Nice pics also.

CHRIS MCBETH said:
Very fortunately the Arizona Game & Fish officers came by and ticketed them for coming too close to us, and shortly after the same cops came and boarded our boat and asked for our ARIZONA fishing licenses... now that came as a surprise since I was under the impression AZ licenses weren’t required for Powell regardless of location.
An AZ resident fishing license is valid everywhere on Lake Powell and so is a Utah License. The chances of getting checked on the AZ side are pretty good. Don't ask me how I know. Glad they got the reckless boater.

Last edited:
Welcome to every Saturday on our little local lake Sand Hollow. We had to sound the horn at a surfboat this Saturday as they came straight at us with their nose in the air and their music blaring. They finally heard/saw us and swerved around us which nearly capsized my 21' Procraft. Needless to say we had a few choice words for them as they went around us, but of course our local DNR is never out there busting these idiots. We usually get on the water by 0600, and are off by 0900...but you still come across some of these jack-wagon, Little Valley pricks who eat their Cinnamon Toast crunch on the way to the lake.

Also...I suggest running the main channel at LP for anyone looking for affordable birth control. I'm just starting to get feeling back down there from last summer's trip!

The last time I fished the main channel, in the middle of the week by the way, boats of all sorts seemed to go out of their way to throw their wakes against my boat. Several of them waved as the blasted past me. This has been an issue for as long as I've fished Powell, but I agree it has become much worse in recent years. The issue is not the water craft but the people operating them. Over the years I've seen people being far less considerate of others. It's all about what I want and I don't care about anyone else. Just look at how many people violate the no wake zone in the Castle Rock Cut. The Park Service could patrol that cut and easily write a couple hundred tickets a day. It's not just ignorance of the rules. Most people going through there understand the rules. It's just that they chose to ignore them because it doesn't fit into their agenda for the day.

Unfortunately these problems are not just limited to Lake Powell. Just look at how people drive their vehicles. Yesterday, a Sunday of all days, I saw five people run red lights down here in Phoenix (Glendale and Peoria, too). There is simply a lack of respect in our society for the rule of law if it gets into the way of what people want. Quite frankly the Bible predicts this. Read 2nd Timothy 3:1-5. It accurately describes what our society is becoming. The problem is in peoples' hearts.

Ed Gerdemann

My wife and I did the same thing on the 4th. We got there a little after 7. Put my 18' Nitro in the water and hauled to Navajo. The water wasn't too bad yet. Within 100 yards into the canyon, boom a slurp. We fished that same group of fish, up and down of slurps, for almost a half an hour. Once they got done, we headed deeper into the canyon and found two more slurps. Ended up getting a half dozen stripers out of it. We finally had enough of getting beat to death with the waves, and headed out to find better water. No luck. I have never seen water like that, nor been in water that had waves bouncing like that. Even fishing Roosevelt lake during the monsoons, was never that bad. I have to give credit to Wayne, I had bought a whopper plopper for the trip. I am glad I did. Those stripers were tearing the hell out of it.

My wife and I did the same thing on the 4th. We got there a little after 7. Put my 18' Nitro in the water and hauled to Navajo. The water wasn't too bad yet. Within 100 yards into the canyon, boom a slurp. We fished that same group of fish, up and down of slurps, for almost a half an hour. Once they got done, we headed deeper into the canyon and found two more slurps. Ended up getting a half dozen stripers out of it. We finally had enough of getting beat to death with the waves, and headed out to find better water. No luck. I have never seen water like that, nor been in water that had waves bouncing like that. Even fishing Roosevelt lake during the monsoons, was never that bad. I have to give credit to Wayne, I had bought a whopper plopper for the trip. I am glad I did. Those stripers were tearing the hell out of it.

There were easily 4-5' wakes bouncing of the walls (On July 5th) where it gets narrow by the mouth of the canyon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back