Wahweap Low-tech Adventure 4/29 - 30

sio2

Got on the water around 5:00 PM on Monday from the main ramp at Wahweap. The wind had already picked up pretty good. I trolled around then went over to a big cliff that was sheltered from the wind and tried chumming for some stripers - nothing.
As the sun was going down, I set out for the east shoreline to find a place to camp. By then the wind had picked up in earnest. It set up a pretty big chop as I crept along with my little 30 FP Minkota trolling motor getting battered by the crosswind. The shoreline wasn't getting any closer, it seemed, distances can be deceiving on LP. Finally found a nice beach with a little bit of shelter just as it was getting dark. I was disappointed at getting shut-out, but I was in an excellent position to start fishing early in the AM.
There are vast stretches of shallow flats on the east side of Wahweap Bay. One of the things I love about fishing this lake is how clear the water is. Not having radar, it is sometimes difficult to locate fish. After a couple hours I found this rock ridge that ran out from a point for a few hundred yards. It had a vertical drop-off on one side going down to some fairly deep water. You could see schools of bluegill with a few smallmouth mixed in. I started hitting the smallmouth bigtime! A lot of babies that I put back. Every 4th or 5th fish was a nice fat one. I was getting a lot more bites than fish hooked using a Ned-rig. I think what was happening was that the bluegill would move in and start attacking the worm. Then a big smallmouth would occasionally swoop in and take it. I eventually switched to a weedless jig with a grub tail. More low-key colors seemed to work better in this very clear water. I threw a few white colored swimbaits and when the fish came up close, they got spooked. I caught 90% of my fish on that ridgeline, and to top it all off, my first ever walleye!
I also caught a bluegill, but my crappie jigs were too big for their little mouths. If I had the right tackle, I could have filled a cooler with bluegill. What do you all use for bluegill around here.
People at the fish cleaning station were friendly. One guy even showed me how to fillet that walleye to get the most meat out of it. Didn't get the guy's name, but it was much appreciated. I did overhear folks talking about Wayne's Words . . .
20240430_162907.jpg20240430_153835.jpg
20240429_160410.jpg

Nice! All the bells and whistles are fun, but simple is pretty satisfying without having to deal with all the gear!

Years ago we were trolling for Striper, and I kept marking a big ball of fish that did not bite. Dropped a quarter ounce jig down, and got a few nibbles and the lightbulb went off… switched to 1/16 ounce jigs tipped with a piece of crawler, and filled the live well with fat bluegill, pretty fun stuff!

Last trip we found bluegill everywhere we fished! Lots of small ones, when we found bigger ones we targeted them a bit with small 1/32 -1/16 jig head, or small ice fly with small hook with a bit of worm, with and without bobber. You could use a small hook with split shot. My buddy sets up the kids with small wet flies , like nymphs or scuds and they do very well. We had a bluegill fish dinner one night. Yumm and great to see they are doing well throughout the lake! Maybe they are eating a few mussels?

Last edited:
Back