Using striper for striper bait ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garry

What’s the best way to cut it up and the best way to rig it on your hook ? Hook size ? Thanks for the information.

I use a one inch chunk of bait - either striper or anchovy. The anchovy head stays on best when hooked through the gills. If frozen I prefer the middle section of anchovy or the tail. Anchovies come off easily (or just falls off) once they thaw out.

I included the anchovies in here because you can use the striper meat of the same size and get the same action and result. If you can drive your hook through the skin of the striper chunk that chunk of bait will stay on your hook for a very long time. You can use striper bait without skin but it comes off the hook quicker than a bait with skin but not as fast as an anchovy bait.

The hook depends on your fishing preference. One of the most effective setups is the circle hook size 2 or 4 rigged behind a 2-3 foot leader with a swivel and a sliding weight above the swivel. It is critical when using this outfit to use a sweep set or just start reeling fast to set the hook. A quick jerk will take the hook out of the striper mouth and release it. This is the best technique if using a rod holder and multiple rods.

I do better when I can jerk the hook and set it as I feel the bite. I never put the rod in the holder and watch for the bite. I like to feel and then set immediately. The best rig for this approach is to use a lead head jig from 1/8 ounce up to a half-ounce depending on the mood of the fish. If they are resting on the bottom at 80 feet the 1/8 ounce jig should be stowed in the rod holder while the half ounce grub is deployed to the depths. When a fish is hooked the followers come toward the surface and then a light jig head with an irregular swimming motion is great.

Writing this makes me want to go fishing. I wish it was warmer. :cautious:

I use a one inch chunk of bait - either striper or anchovy. The anchovy head stays on best when hooked through the gills. If frozen I prefer the middle section of anchovy or the tail. Anchovies come off easily (or just falls off) once they thaw out.

I included the anchovies in here because you can use the striper meat of the same size and get the same action and result. If you can drive your hook through the skin of the striper chunk that chunk of bait will stay on your hook for a very long time. You can use striper bait without skin but it comes off the hook quicker than a bait with skin but not as fast as an anchovy bait.

The hook depends on your fishing preference. One of the most effective setups is the circle hook size 2 or 4 rigged behind a 2-3 foot leader with a swivel and a sliding weight above the swivel. It is critical when using this outfit to use a sweep set or just start reeling fast to set the hook. A quick jerk will take the hook out of the striper mouth and release it. This is the best technique if using a rod holder and multiple rods.

I do better when I can jerk the hook and set it as I feel the bite. I never put the rod in the holder and watch for the bite. I like to feel and then set immediately. The best rig for this approach is to use a lead head jig from 1/8 ounce up to a half-ounce depending on the mood of the fish. If they are resting on the bottom at 80 feet the 1/8 ounce jig should be stowed in the rod holder while the half ounce grub is deployed to the depths. When a fish is hooked the followers come toward the surface and then a light jig head with an irregular swimming motion is great.

Writing this makes me want to go fishing. I wish it was warmer. :cautious:
Thanks ,Wayne

Never used stripers, but I use sucker meat all the time for lake trout. I find the best way is to filet them, then I use game shears to snip the pieces into triangles. I cut off some of the meat if it is more than 3/8 inch thick, and it leaves more of the hook gap exposed. I wouldn't bother if I was going to use it to chum. When the skin is on, it is downright hard to get it to come off the hook!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back