Upper basin snowpack still growing larger

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think all those watersheds either directly feed Lake Powell OR thru something like a tunnel system directly TAKE water from the Colorado River. Maybe I’m wrong.

I know that’s a fact for the Provo/Jordan and I think it’s true for Weber but now I’m not sure about some of the other drainages like Bear and Sevier and Pecos, Sangre de Cristo, Charma.

Does anyone know for sure why these drainages are included?

I think they're just listed for reference as adjoining drainages. Those between the two dark black lines directly affect Lake Powell. Again, just my understanding. I welcome further education.
The lower portion of the Sevier River drainage does contain creeks that connect with the Virgin River and ultimately Lake Mead. Long Vally has a weird elevation that makes most of the creeks head north to the Sevier and a few to head west towards Zion and Cedar City then the Santa Clara and Virgin which ultimately run into Mead. Other than a few anomalies those maps are pretty darn accurate.

Last edited by a moderator:
I flew from San Diego to Denver yesterday, and passed over Grand Canyon, Page, Telluride, Gunnison, and into Denver. There is as much snow I have ever seen in 35 years of flying over that area.
I think one kicker here is that there is a lot of low elevation snow across a lot of these areas that typically don't hold a lot of snow. Many of these areas don't have snotel sites and are not really considered in the snowpack numbers. This may be a sleeper for some excess runoff!

I have to agree with Leardriver. There is way more snow than I have seen in a long time that is not located on the peaks. Had to make a delivery the other day and the Blues, La Sals, Henry mtns, the bookcliffs, and the SR Swell are white with snow. With lots of snow down in the timber and lower shoulders of the mountains we might see a sustained runoff and replenishing of our groundwater this year.

I think one kicker here is that there is a lot of low elevation snow across a lot of these areas that typically don't hold a lot of snow. Many of these areas don't have snotel sites and are not really considered in the snowpack numbers. This may be a sleeper for some excess runoff!
Agreed... Most snow at lower levels since 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back