Uplake Sampling Results - Good Hope Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
We returned a day early and 2 sample sites short due to a battery malfunction on our Electrofishing boat. Wahweap and Good Hope Bay were completed successfully but we will return next week to Rincon and San Juan. Here is what we found.

Wahweap had an abundance of young-of-the-year Bluegill, Green sunfish, and Channel catfish. Largemouth bass were present along with a few smallmouth bass, and a good crop of young stripers. These results were fairly normal for the lower lake site which has limited habitat. We get more fish in brushy habitat instead or rocky shorelines. Wahweap Bay had more brush than normal due to the high water this year.

Good Hope Bay was completely opposite with huge numbers of Gizzard shad. A normal 15-minute sampling run usually results in 5-15 fish of each species, but this night there were so many shad that we had to leave the back of the canyon to keep the boat from sinking under the weight of all the gizzard shad swimming at the back of the canyon. It is sometimes possible to catch 100 small shad in the back of the sampling canyon but this year the number was closer to 1000. We have NEVER seen this huge number of shad in any of our electrofishing sampling. 2019 is a banner year for shad abundance.

Even better was good numbers of largemouth bass and crappie. These young fish need brushy cover to survive. In drought years (no rising water) the brush is not covered and LMB and crappie numbers are very low. This year was great for bass and crappie numbers. These two species need one more brushy year to allow those populations to rebound. It was great start to see fish numbers of all sport species to be back where they were in the 1970s and 1980s when the lake was rising each year.

We did not complete the survey due to boat problems. We will have to go back next week to the Rincon and San Juan to see how these lake areas compare.

Sport Fishing in the high shad density, low visibility water in Good Hope Bay was slower then usual. A wall of shad covered the back of the cove from 20 feet to the shore. It looked like a cinder block wall of fish from the bottom to the surface on the graph. Out at 30 - 70 feet there were shad schools and stripers intermixed and it was fair to good fishing for stripers on spoons. The average morning catch was only 10-15 per boat. These fish were in good shape.

Lakewide forage is stronger than it has been in the last few years. Threadfin shad are more numerous in the southern lake with Gizzard shad dominate in the north.

We will know more next week. Right now, for the first time I can ever remember, I suggest fishing down lake instead of uplake if stripers are your target. Adult smallmouth bass are feeding deeper on shad schools so they are not caught as often in shallow water along the rocky shoreline. Bigger smallmouth bass are down at 20-30 feet and feeding in open water much like stripers.

It is an interesting year for fishing at Lake Powell. It is not bad - just different!.

Thanks Wayne. Hopefully the abundance this year means higher populations of walleye and SMB next year. I guess that explains all the poor fishing reports as well.

We will be at the lake next week, and I am hoping to go back sometime in November (although that nasty 4-letter W word is making that trip less likely). Hopefully the fishing will improve by then.

Wayne, did you put in at Bullfrog, or HIte?
Thanks

Nice try! We put in at Wahweap Stateline Ramp - 5 minutes from our office and traveled the whole way to GHB in one day. Only takes about 5 hours. Then came back to Bullfrog to Gas up and stopped at Rincon to do another sampling session. Had battery problems about 3 miles from camp. Could not charge the battery in a reasonable amount of time with our generator. So we looked for a way back to camp after dark. No boats. We then used our fishing nets as paddles and spent the next 2 hours paddling back to camp. Made it. Went to bed and returned to Wahweap the next morning. See- my job is easy and always fun. ;)

WOW, do you watch the weather forecast for a while, and wait for the right time, or just take your chance's? It still sound's like a good job.

I know this may be impossible to answer , but when you say fishing in the north will be tough . If you had to throw out a guess of where the distinction is between north and south where would you put that imaginary line ?

On your previous sample trips , does the Rincon area tend to lean more towards the GHB results or the results from "down south" ?

thanks much

We returned a day early and 2 sample sites short due to a battery malfunction on our Electrofishing boat. Wahweap and Good Hope Bay were completed successfully but we will return next week to Rincon and San Juan. Here is what we found.

Wahweap had an abundance of young-of-the-year Bluegill, Green sunfish, and Channel catfish. Largemouth bass were present along with a few smallmouth bass, and a good crop of young stripers. These results were fairly normal for the lower lake site which has limited habitat. We get more fish in brushy habitat instead or rocky shorelines. Wahweap Bay had more brush than normal due to the high water this year.

Good Hope Bay was completely opposite with huge numbers of Gizzard shad. A normal 15-minute sampling run usually results in 5-15 fish of each species, but this night there were so many shad that we had to leave the back of the canyon to keep the boat from sinking under the weight of all the gizzard shad swimming at the back of the canyon. It is sometimes possible to catch 100 small shad in the back of the sampling canyon but this year the number was closer to 1000. We have NEVER seen this huge number of shad in any of our electrofishing sampling. 2019 is a banner year for shad abundance.

Even better was good numbers of largemouth bass and crappie. These young fish need brushy cover to survive. In drought years (no rising water) the brush is not covered and LMB and crappie numbers are very low. This year was great for bass and crappie numbers. These two species need one more brushy year to allow those populations to rebound. It was great start to see fish numbers of all sport species to be back where they were in the 1970s and 1980s when the lake was rising each year.

We did not complete the survey due to boat problems. We will have to go back next week to the Rincon and San Juan to see how these lake areas compare.

Sport Fishing in the high shad density, low visibility water in Good Hope Bay was slower then usual. A wall of shad covered the back of the cove from 20 feet to the shore. It looked like a cinder block wall of fish from the bottom to the surface on the graph. Out at 30 - 70 feet there were shad schools and stripers intermixed and it was fair to good fishing for stripers on spoons. The average morning catch was only 10-15 per boat. These fish were in good shape.

Lakewide forage is stronger than it has been in the last few years. Threadfin shad are more numerous in the southern lake with Gizzard shad dominate in the north.

We will know more next week. Right now, for the first time I can ever remember, I suggest fishing down lake instead of uplake if stripers are your target. Adult smallmouth bass are feeding deeper on shad schools so they are not caught as often in shallow water along the rocky shoreline. Bigger smallmouth bass are down at 20-30 feet and feeding in open water much like stripers.

It is an interesting year for fishing at Lake Powell. It is not bad - just different!.

You did not say anything about walleye in your report. Just wondering if you have a guess as to the future of walleye. Do you see walleye in your sampling and are they also increasing or what? Are they also feeding deep with the stripers and SMB. Are they in better shape this year with all the feed or does feed make little difference with the ferocious walleye predator.

I know this may be impossible to answer , but when you say fishing in the north will be tough . If you had to throw out a guess of where the distinction is between north and south where would you put that imaginary line ?

On your previous sample trips , does the Rincon area tend to lean more towards the GHB results or the results from "down south" ?

thanks much
I use Bullfrog as the dividing line between north and south. Rincon is way different from the northern end canyons around Good Hope Bay. Water visibility is still cloudy up north with only about two feet of clarity. Rincon has about 8-10 feet of visibility. I wish I could tell you how much difference there is in forage abundance but I wont know that until next week when we go back uplake. My guess is that forage abundance near Rincon is near that found down south where threadfin shad are found in huge numbers. There is a dividing line between threadfin and gizzard shad which I do not understand yet.

Using my history of fishing the two areas there is a much higher likelihood of stripers, bass and walleye in the north while Rincon is usually only good for bass, sunfish and catfish. This year is different but we were able to catch stripers on spoons in the north and that will continue though October.

You did not say anything about walleye in your report. Just wondering if you have a guess as to the future of walleye. Do you see walleye in your sampling and are they also increasing or what? Are they also feeding deep with the stripers and SMB. Are they in better shape this year with all the feed or does feed make little difference with the ferocious walleye predator.

Walleye are not caught in the shoreline shallow water electrofishing sample. Walleye are normally in at least 10-15 feet and we sample in 5 feet or less. We do get walleye in the gill nets which will happen the first week of November.

My guess is - Walleye will be extremely healthy in the north and probably over the length of the lake. I have never seen more forage so all fish will benefit over the length of LP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back