Unique sights at current water level?

Status
Not open for further replies.

szobell

I am curious if anyone has any unique sights that are exposed at this low water level? I'd MUCH rather have the lake up 90 feet, but if it is this low, i am wondering what i can see. We will be heading down in a few days to the south end of the lake. Any thoughts would be appreciated!!

Dead and dying mussels being consumed by nats and flies. Wish I had something more interesting to give you. Welcome to WW.

The mouth of Rock Creek has two very nice water caves. The largest is always fully navigable and the skylight cave entrance is now accessible at this level.
SKYCAV-1.jpgSKYCAV-2.jpg
SKYCAV-3.jpg
It is always nice to pull into the huge, cool, dark cave below:
RC Cave 22.JPG
The skylight cave (below) is across Rock Creek from the huge one as shown on the map. It is exceptional and has been featured on the cover of Lake Powell Magazine. These pictures are at about the same water level as it is right now. It is totally lost at about 3628' so now is pretty good. It will even be better later on as the water level drops a few more feet. See below:
RC Cave 21.JPG
RC Cave 20.JPG

This last picture is not mine but is still this same cave at about this water level.
Skycave photo .jpg

FWIW,
Goblin

If you go up towards Rainbow Bridge you might as well go a few miles farther to Reflection Canyon. It is frequently shown on advertisements to Lake Powell and the photos are usually at or near this water level.
Big Picture off of GE:
Reflection 03.jpg
The following two pictures are also near the current water level and both are looking out of the canyon towards the main channel.
Neither of these are my pictures.
Reflection 02.jpg
Reflection 01.jpg

FWIW,
Goblin

Last edited:
The mouth of Rock Creek has two very nice water caves. The largest is always fully navigable and the skylight cave entrance is now accessible at this level.
View attachment 3168View attachment 3171
View attachment 3170
It is always nice to pull into the huge, cool, dark cave below:
View attachment 3179
The skylight cave (below) is across Rock Creek from the huge one as shown on the map. It is exceptional and has been featured on the cover of Lake Powell Magazine. These pictures are at about the same water level as it is right now. It is totally lost at about 3628' so now is pretty good. It will even be better later on as the water level drops a few more feet. See below:
View attachment 3178
View attachment 3177

This last picture is not mine but is still this same cave at about this water level.
View attachment 3173

FWIW,
Goblin

Goblin? Money. Great, informative answers...the cave on the left side is one of my faves...

What is CID? Waterfall sounds great!
Not exactly a raging torrent for a waterfall, flash flood from a thunderstorm excepted, the picture below is from the impressive cathedral which is a grotto-like amphitheater in Clear Creek Canyon 14 miles past Reflection Canyon in the Escalante arm of Lake Powell.
The picture below is of a very low water level around a guestimate of 3550'.
The current water level is only about ten feet below the rounded rock area just to the right of the fall.
It would be a coin toss today on whether the water actually started to 'fall' or was still 'cascading' through the well worn crack.
(This photo is off the net)
CID.jpg
That being said, the CID is a great IBT square to fill. IBT='I been There'
If you have come that far you might as well continue a little farther upriver to Davis Gulch and see La Gorce Arch. 2.9 miles from the mouth of Clear Creek to the mouth of Davis Gulch. The front side of La Gorce is accessible by boat but I doubt you can motor around to the back side at this level.

Goblin

The lower arch is the first one you get to. The higher arch is second. Make sense?
If you get to the double arches in Anasazi Canyon you may as well go slightly farther to the end of the canyon at this water level. A similar waterfall to the one in CID is at the end of Anasazi. There is also a great little slot canyon beyond the waterfall but at this level the challenge would be getting over the fall.
Here is the GE images to build SA (Situational Awareness):

Anasazi 1.jpg
Anasazi 2.jpg
Anasazi 3.jpg

Here is a panoramic image of the waterfall pretty close to the current water levels. The image is from
Panoramic Photographs of Lake Powell
by David Herberg

AnasaziWaterfall.jpg
AnasaziWaterfall cropped.jpg

FWIW
Goblin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back