Trolling for Stripers

Discussion in 'Lake Powell Fishing' started by VanillaIceCream, Feb 9, 2017.

1. VanillaIceCream

VanillaIceCream Well-Known Member

Hi - I've only trolled for trout and want to troll for stripers this spring.

I have a trolling pole with 20# twisted line on it, 100 yards of line. Is this strong enough and long enough for striper at Lake Powell? Its fine for trout.

Erik

2. Chet Garling

Chet Garling Well-Known Member

should be plenty but that is thick line, you may want to put on a leader made of fluro, keep your speed up(3-5mph), don't troll in a straight line, 150-175 feet out you can get a bomber deep diver down to 20 feet flatlining. It is a great way to check out a canyon to locate schools that you can spoon up or use bait on. As you make turns make note of which side gets bit and adjust your speed down or up depending on which one gets hit.

3. wayne gustaveson

wayne gustaveson Administrator Staff Member

Do you catch trout on 20 pound test line? Or is there a leader involved? If you catch trout on your current rig then it should be fine for stripers.

If you want to maximize your catch then have a couple of other options close at hand. I troll to find fish and react quickly when a striper is hooked trolling. They are a schooling fish so the first fish lets you know that others are in the area. On our last trip to Last Chance we found deep striper schools which responded to spoons fished directly under the boat. Then we moved to shallow water and caught stripers trolling in 12-30 feet of water. When a striper was caught trolling the others in the boat began casting successfully for stripers trailing the troll caught fish. Others were caught on spoons in 18 feet of water. We had many triple catches resulting from one fish being hooked trolling.

My point for reiterating information from posts made previously in the recent fish report is to answer your question: Yes your rod is good for striper trolling. Just be aware that catching a striper trolling is the beginning of the big adventure and not the end point. Your goal should be to mingle with the entire school instead of the "one".

I don't fish with one rod but have at least 3 ready to cast (Trolling lure, spoon and medium running shad lure) as needed.

Ryan and Bill Sampson like this.
  4. VanillaIceCream

VanillaIceCream Well-Known Member

Wayne - I forgot to mention I do have fluorescent leader, I think its 8lb. I also have some metal leaders for fish with teeth.

I use 20lb line as I troll for trout with Pop Gear, also called beer cans or cow bells, with a lure behind. I switched to a heavier line as don't like to lose the pop gear, and pop gear makes a lot of drag resulting in broken lines sometimes.

Your helpful responses let me know the stripers won't be that different from trout.

Chet - with trout I do zig-zag and could almost predict exactly when a trout would strike with my little kids onboard and tell them to get ready, here come's the fish... - (they thought I was a fish-whisperer). So it seems the speeds and tactics are the same with stripers, thank you.

Something different I plan on with striper fishing, was to stop once a fish is hooked from trolling and switch to casting with all of us in the boat casting. Standard procedure with trout was just slowly circle back to the area and bring in another one.

I just had a fish finder (Helix 5) installed very professionally and tidy by Chuck's Marine in GJ, CO on our new-to-us boat. Last year without sonar it was hard to find the fish at Powell, although we did see some boils in Hall's Creek last year - but we focused more on exploring the lake last year. I'm interested to see how modern civilian sonar works as compared military sonar (I served on three submarines and got to play around in the sonar shack a bit).

I do carry 3-4 different rods, set up differently for casting and wanted to troll while using the sonar, I've always liked trolling as a favorite.

One more question; does anyone use pop gear for trolling for stripers?

Erik

5. wayne gustaveson

I don't use popgear because of my universal fishing attitude. I want to be able to switch quickly from one technique to another. It takes a bit longer to stow a rod with popgear instead of just one lure. Hook the lure to the rod guide and place the rod in the holder - pick up another rod and cast... to boiling fish, trailers following a troll hooked fish, or whatever you see that makes you change rods in a hurry.

FYI - Trolling is a very effective technique for catching stripers. The other readily accessible rods tend to double your catch.

It would be good information to know if anyone has used popgear or other attractors for catching stripers.

6. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

So, this is how my conversation with my wife is going to start tonight.

Hey honey, you know the fishing guru at Lake Powell says I can catch a lot more fish, but first I am going to need to invest in some more fishing poles....... :)

Shuttle91, Lake Bum and TR. like this.
  7. tt600

tt600 Active Member

I use a flasher on my downrigger. Hard to say if it helps. I got a bunch cheap off amazon.

8. wayne gustaveson

I will send you a permission slip if that will help :)

Ryan likes this.
  9. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

It sure wouldn't hurt! Could you also add how vital it is to also have a 20' + boat that is specific for fishing. And that anything less than 300 HP is probably unsafe to have on the lake???

After all, it doesn't hurt to ask.

10. Dayson

Dayson New Member

Howdy Wayne! I will be going to Powell this coming week to go after stripers. Can you please post pics or just a good description/size/ name of spoons I should have for this trip? Thank you very much.

11. wayne gustaveson

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  12. Dayson

Dayson New Member