Trolling for Stripers

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanillaIceCream

Hi - I've only trolled for trout and want to troll for stripers this spring.

I have a trolling pole with 20# twisted line on it, 100 yards of line. Is this strong enough and long enough for striper at Lake Powell? Its fine for trout.

Erik

should be plenty but that is thick line, you may want to put on a leader made of fluro, keep your speed up(3-5mph), don't troll in a straight line, 150-175 feet out you can get a bomber deep diver down to 20 feet flatlining. It is a great way to check out a canyon to locate schools that you can spoon up or use bait on. As you make turns make note of which side gets bit and adjust your speed down or up depending on which one gets hit.

Do you catch trout on 20 pound test line? Or is there a leader involved? If you catch trout on your current rig then it should be fine for stripers.

If you want to maximize your catch then have a couple of other options close at hand. I troll to find fish and react quickly when a striper is hooked trolling. They are a schooling fish so the first fish lets you know that others are in the area. On our last trip to Last Chance we found deep striper schools which responded to spoons fished directly under the boat. Then we moved to shallow water and caught stripers trolling in 12-30 feet of water. When a striper was caught trolling the others in the boat began casting successfully for stripers trailing the troll caught fish. Others were caught on spoons in 18 feet of water. We had many triple catches resulting from one fish being hooked trolling.

My point for reiterating information from posts made previously in the recent fish report is to answer your question: Yes your rod is good for striper trolling. Just be aware that catching a striper trolling is the beginning of the big adventure and not the end point. Your goal should be to mingle with the entire school instead of the "one".

I don't fish with one rod but have at least 3 ready to cast (Trolling lure, spoon and medium running shad lure) as needed.

Wayne - I forgot to mention I do have fluorescent leader, I think its 8lb. I also have some metal leaders for fish with teeth.

I use 20lb line as I troll for trout with Pop Gear, also called beer cans or cow bells, with a lure behind. I switched to a heavier line as don't like to lose the pop gear, and pop gear makes a lot of drag resulting in broken lines sometimes.

Your helpful responses let me know the stripers won't be that different from trout.

Chet - with trout I do zig-zag and could almost predict exactly when a trout would strike with my little kids onboard and tell them to get ready, here come's the fish... - (they thought I was a fish-whisperer). So it seems the speeds and tactics are the same with stripers, thank you.

Something different I plan on with striper fishing, was to stop once a fish is hooked from trolling and switch to casting with all of us in the boat casting. Standard procedure with trout was just slowly circle back to the area and bring in another one.

I just had a fish finder (Helix 5) installed very professionally and tidy by Chuck's Marine in GJ, CO on our new-to-us boat. Last year without sonar it was hard to find the fish at Powell, although we did see some boils in Hall's Creek last year - but we focused more on exploring the lake last year. I'm interested to see how modern civilian sonar works as compared military sonar (I served on three submarines and got to play around in the sonar shack a bit).

I do carry 3-4 different rods, set up differently for casting and wanted to troll while using the sonar, I've always liked trolling as a favorite.

One more question; does anyone use pop gear for trolling for stripers?

Erik

I don't use popgear because of my universal fishing attitude. I want to be able to switch quickly from one technique to another. It takes a bit longer to stow a rod with popgear instead of just one lure. Hook the lure to the rod guide and place the rod in the holder - pick up another rod and cast... to boiling fish, trailers following a troll hooked fish, or whatever you see that makes you change rods in a hurry.

FYI - Trolling is a very effective technique for catching stripers. The other readily accessible rods tend to double your catch.

It would be good information to know if anyone has used popgear or other attractors for catching stripers.

I don't fish with one rod but have at least 3 ready to cast (Trolling lure, spoon and medium running shad lure) as needed.

So, this is how my conversation with my wife is going to start tonight.

Hey honey, you know the fishing guru at Lake Powell says I can catch a lot more fish, but first I am going to need to invest in some more fishing poles....... :)

Do you catch trout on 20 pound test line? Or is there a leader involved? If you catch trout on your current rig then it should be fine for stripers.

If you want to maximize your catch then have a couple of other options close at hand. I troll to find fish and react quickly when a striper is hooked trolling. They are a schooling fish so the first fish lets you know that others are in the area. On our last trip to Last Chance we found deep striper schools which responded to spoons fished directly under the boat. Then we moved to shallow water and caught stripers trolling in 12-30 feet of water. When a striper was caught trolling the others in the boat began casting successfully for stripers trailing the troll caught fish. Others were caught on spoons in 18 feet of water. We had many triple catches resulting from one fish being hooked trolling.

My point for reiterating information from posts made previously in the recent fish report is to answer your question: Yes your rod is good for striper trolling. Just be aware that catching a striper trolling is the beginning of the big adventure and not the end point. Your goal should be to mingle with the entire school instead of the "one".

Howdy Wayne! I will be going to Powell this coming week to go after stripers. Can you please post pics or just a good description/size/ name of spoons I should have for this trip? Thank you very much.

Wayne, thank you for all your help. I'm heading out this friday morning, towing my runabout and driving to Page (two day drive from my home) I'm getting a houseboat on Sunday August 26th, 2018 and I'm looking forward to a week of fishing and exploring.

I've been reading alot for the last month and I really hope to catch some stipers. I've never caught one before so I'm very excited for the chance. I'm not a very good bass fisherman, a little better at trout fly fishing or deep sea fishing.

I'm bringing 6 rods and reels. 2 ultra lights (maybe just for sunfish, bluegill or crappie); 2 spinning rigs and 2 level winds. 20 lb braid with 10lb flourocarbon leader except on the ultralights 10 lb braid with 4 lb leader. I've setup with carlolina rigs (to go deeper) or just bare hooks for anchovies, I also have Yamamoto baits, Heddon spook, evergreen topwater, Berkley Swim Shad power bait and assorted spoons. I've never trolled before and my boat does not have a trolling motor so I don't know if I can troll effectively (20 ft Mariah with V6 3.4L alpha drive) I will be heading out of Wahweep with the houseboat and still don't know where we will find a spot 1st night (maybe in gunsight canyon, Padre Canyon, Face Canyon) but if I can fish near the housboat, that would be best.

Everything I've read seems to favor anchovies as a start (I'm planning on bringing 20 lbs for the week) but I would love to fish top water and jigs if I can.

So a couple questions:
1) Where might be the best place to park the houseboat 1st or 2nd night for fishing? I would like to fish near the houseboat and would like to find a place where we can stay without moving the houseboat too much. The group will explore the lake on the runabout, but not for fishing. I'll take off for fishing a couple hrs at a time. I plan on getting up early and fishing at sunrise while others sleep.
2) Should I chum off the houseboat for fishing? I think I'm the only one who likes catfish, but everyone else would love to eat a bass, so if all I catch off the houseboat is catfish, I guess at least I won't go hungry,

3) Any other general suggestions. thanks much

It sure wouldn't hurt! Could you also add how vital it is to also have a 20' + boat that is specific for fishing. And that anything less than 300 HP is probably unsafe to have on the lake???

After all, it doesn't hurt to ask.
Safety first, women love that

Wayne, thank you for all your help. I'm heading out this friday morning, towing my runabout and driving to Page (two day drive from my home) I'm getting a houseboat on Sunday August 26th, 2018 and I'm looking forward to a week of fishing and exploring.

I've been reading alot for the last month and I really hope to catch some stipers. I've never caught one before so I'm very excited for the chance. I'm not a very good bass fisherman, a little better at trout fly fishing or deep sea fishing.

I'm bringing 6 rods and reels. 2 ultra lights (maybe just for sunfish, bluegill or crappie); 2 spinning rigs and 2 level winds. 20 lb braid with 10lb flourocarbon leader except on the ultralights 10 lb braid with 4 lb leader. I've setup with carlolina rigs (to go deeper) or just bare hooks for anchovies, I also have Yamamoto baits, Heddon spook, evergreen topwater, Berkley Swim Shad power bait and assorted spoons. I've never trolled before and my boat does not have a trolling motor so I don't know if I can troll effectively (20 ft Mariah with V6 3.4L alpha drive) I will be heading out of Wahweep with the houseboat and still don't know where we will find a spot 1st night (maybe in gunsight canyon, Padre Canyon, Face Canyon) but if I can fish near the housboat, that would be best.

Everything I've read seems to favor anchovies as a start (I'm planning on bringing 20 lbs for the week) but I would love to fish top water and jigs if I can.

So a couple questions:
1) Where might be the best place to park the houseboat 1st or 2nd night for fishing? I would like to fish near the houseboat and would like to find a place where we can stay without moving the houseboat too much. The group will explore the lake on the runabout, but not for fishing. I'll take off for fishing a couple hrs at a time. I plan on getting up early and fishing at sunrise while others sleep.
2) Should I chum off the houseboat for fishing? I think I'm the only one who likes catfish, but everyone else would love to eat a bass, so if all I catch off the houseboat is catfish, I guess at least I won't go hungry,

3) Any other general suggestions. thanks much

We are up here now. Been solid at the dam west wall near the barriers. Chum and throw a whole anchovy on. As far as bass fishing goes we caught a bunch all over the lake. Probably close to 100 today. They were chewing on jigs green pumpkin color and Yamamoto double tail grubs. All I had were hula grubs so I just bit the skirt off and put it on. All near the chuck rock. We will be at the dam till about 9 tomorrow then have to make our way back to phx. Good luck.

It’s hard to tell if people are still responding to this since it was originally posted in 2017. But for what it’s worth, we troll with 12lb fluorocarbon line and Bomber Deep Fat Free Shad crankbaits (they’re big, like 3-4” long and swim 20+ feet deep).

In 25 to 50 feet of water at 3.6mph you’ll catch fish all day long. As Wayne and others have said, you’ll often catch two at the same time if you use two rods.

As recently as two weekends ago we trolled to the back of West and then returned and caught more fish in a few hours than we ever have including a number of Striper, a few Smallmouth, and even a beautiful fairly large Walleye.

Another interesting lesson learned: When we accidentally troll these deep swimming lures over shallow depths (anything less than 20’) they will drag along the bottom. In almost every case we’ve done this, we either snagged it, or caught a Walleye. So for some reason the Walley love to eat the Bomber Deep Fat Free Shad when its dragging along the bottom in < 20’ of water.

Another interesting lesson learned: When we accidentally troll these deep swimming lures over shallow depths (anything less than 20’) they will drag along the bottom. In almost every case we’ve done this, we either snagged it, or caught a Walleye. So for some reason the Walley love to eat the Bomber Deep Fat Free Shad when its dragging along the bottom in < 20’ of water.

This is not unusual, if fact I think it is pretty much a pattern in many lakes. At LP, we always try to be bouncing bottom off and on when we are targeting walleye. If your not hitting bottom off and on, you are too deep! Lots of different lures work, anything that dives deep, is durable, and will run true after bouncing bottom and catching fish all day. I change out the hooks on Cabelas Walleye divers, which are often on sale for $2 or so, and have found them to be a consistent producer. Strike King KVD 5XD in sexy shad has killed a ton of striper and walleye as well....

So, this is how my conversation with my wife is going to start tonight.

Hey honey, you know the fishing guru at Lake Powell says I can catch a lot more fish, but first I am going to need to invest in some more fishing poles....... :)

One day I asked my wife why she had so many skin care products in her bathroom cabinet? She replied "want me to go out and start counting fishing poles?" ......."Nope, have all the products you want baby."

It is important to note that the smaller diameter of the line the deeper your lure can dive. If it is thick as in braided line it will rise. Also with mono filament it will stretch and allow crank baits to swim better with out jumping out of the water. 12# mono.
dale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back