Trip Advice Needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

svivian

Escalante-Class Member
Hello, I am a long time lurker and first time poster needing some help. I am hoping to head down to Bullfrog and launch the 3rd thru the 6th if ramps are open in this weird world we are in right now. I am wanting to take the significant other on her first trip to powell and want to head south towards Escalante and then to Rainbow bridge. I am more familiar with the North end for fishing but not for hiking. My boat has an 85 gallon fuel tank and i can carry an additional 15 gallons in jerry cans for a total of 100 gallons. My boat is 21' and has a 150 hp outboard that gets about 15g/hr at 30 to 35 mph or 2mpg on the worst. I have a 9.9 hp 4 stroke kicker for backup. Using Navionics i can see that its roughly a 102 mile round trip to rainbow bridge and back and i should burn roughly 51 gallons of fuel leaving me 25 gallons for exploring the escalante and 25 gallons for reserve.

So my questions are does this sound realistic considering i cannot fuel up at dangling rope or halls with current circumstances. If so what would you guys recommend for fun hikes since the fishing reports have not looked good and i want her to have a good trip? For those who know the North and South, should i wait until everything opens up and just head North for better fishing? If so what are good areas to hike and explore besides Defiance house?

Sorry for all the questions but this is the best place to answer them and would like real experience in terms of travel and safety.

Thanks,

Hello, I am a long time lurker and first time poster needing some help. I am hoping to head down to Bullfrog and launch the 3rd thru the 6th if ramps are open in this weird world we are in right now. I am wanting to take the significant other on her first trip to powell and want to head south towards Escalante and then to Rainbow bridge. I am more familiar with the North end for fishing but not for hiking. My boat has an 85 gallon fuel tank and i can carry an additional 15 gallons in jerry cans for a total of 100 gallons. My boat is 21' and has a 150 hp outboard that gets about 15g/hr at 30 to 35 mph or 2mpg on the worst. I have a 9.9 hp 4 stroke kicker for backup. Using Navionics i can see that its roughly a 102 mile round trip to rainbow bridge and back and i should burn roughly 51 gallons of fuel leaving me 25 gallons for exploring the escalante and 25 gallons for reserve.

So my questions are does this sound realistic considering i cannot fuel up at dangling rope or halls with current circumstances. If so what would you guys recommend for fun hikes since the fishing reports have not looked good and i want her to have a good trip? For those who know the North and South, should i wait until everything opens up and just head North for better fishing? If so what are good areas to hike and explore besides Defiance house?

Sorry for all the questions but this is the best place to answer them and would like real experience in terms of travel and safety.

Thanks,
I suggest slowing your boat down for better mileage. I usually run mine to where it planes good. Don’t need all the speed. It will surely give you better mileage

I'm not big on the hiking information but I do know you MUST GO. You're fuel situation is good and if you feel comfortable at least hit the mouth of the SJ. I agree with Ben slow her down a little. The benefits of letting the scenery sink in and being able to see more will not be wasted on your wife. Be careful out there and watch the wind. Stop at the base of Hole in the Rock as well.

I'm not big on the hiking information but I do know you MUST GO. You're fuel situation is good and if you feel comfortable at least hit the mouth of the SJ. I agree with Ben slow her down a little. The benefits of letting the scenery sink in and being able to see more will not be wasted on your wife. Be careful out there and watch the wind. Stop at the base of Hole in the Rock as well.
Thanks, the reason for going south and specifically rainbow bridge, is the weather and lack of crowds. If i go south i will definitely cast a few at the mouth of the SJ. I feel 100 gallons should be sufficient but if i get a good head wind that could change things which is why i like to have reserve fuel.

Heading out this evening to Bullfrog, will be launching in the morning. Anyone who will be up in the Northern end of the lake this weekend who would like a contact in case you need anything please send me a message.

Case of water, beer, lunch meat, bread, burger's and bunn's, hot dog's and marshmellow's, and 10 gallon's of gas, oh allmost forgot the hot dog bunn's. If I can think of anything else I'll try to get you before you leave :unsure:
Just trying to lighten myself up, in these bad time's, hope you and the miss's have a great trip, and catch the H--- OUT OF THEM.

Case of water, beer, lunch meat, bread, burger's and bunn's, hot dog's and marshmellow's, and 10 gallon's of gas, oh allmost forgot the hot dog bunn's. If I can think of anything else I'll try to get you before you leave :unsure:
Just trying to lighten myself up, in these bad time's, hope you and the miss's have a great trip, and catch the H--- OUT OF THEM.
lol will do hope to do as well as you on some of those crappie but will be happy just to be out on the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back