Trash Tracker Report-Rock Creek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raven Haven

Hello! SoCal volunteers Mary, Joan, Trash Tracker Dave, and I just returned from our first trip of the year. We spent three nights in the back of Friendship Cove. We cleaned the back of the cove, all three forks of Rock Creek (which was relatively clean), and Neanderthal. We'd like to thank the GROWING number of Lake Powell visitors who "take only pictures and leave only footprints." I've been either a Trash Tracker captain or volunteer for 15 years and I can honestly say that the Lake we all love is generally getting cleaner. I believe WaynesWords.com and the Wordlings are a big reason why. Almost all of the trash we picked up or scooped out of the Lake was water bottles or styrofoam, most of which can (hopefully) be a result of the wind. The only intentional trash I personally saw was a very messy firework beach (set recently) in Neanderthal. The game volunteers and I worked on it for over an hour in the heat but it's impossible to get all the small bits of fireworks. So if that was you, we cleaned up most of your mess for you. Other than that, I was very impressed with the cleanliness of recently vacated houseboat camps. Thanks again to all those who pack out what they pack in. Dave and I will be back out Sunday-Thursday heading for Oak Bay, so if you see us on the Lake, come on over and say hi!
As for fishing, we saw slurps throughout the day in that whole part of the Lake. One striper even told me that he was going to start boiling soon.
Stay safe,
Eric

Last edited:
Yes. And thank you. I wish we lived closer and could contribute more to the effort. I imagine one could make it a positive experience.
But on our annual trip we do address what we can.

Oh my, I hope you didn't find the rubber rattlesnake we left on the first beach to the left behind the rock in Rock Creek. My so called friends put it in the upper cupboard of the houseboat and asked me to get something out of that cupboard. The snake was tied to the inside handle with fishing line so when I opened the cupboard it jumped out at me. HAHA. I tied it to a piece of firewood on the beach so someone else could enjoy the prank but the last person I would want to have the bejegus scared out of them was a noble trashtracker. I pray not
Hello! SoCal volunteers Mary, Joan, Trash Tracker Dave, and I just returned from our first trip of the year. We spent three nights in the back of Friendship Cove. We cleaned the back of the cove, all three forks of Rock Creek (which was relatively clean), and Neanderthal. We'd like to thank the GROWING number of Lake Powell visitors who "take only pictures and leave only footprints." I've been either a Trash Tracker captain or volunteer for 15 years and I can honestly say that the Lake we all love is generally getting cleaner. I believe WaynesWords.com and the Wordlings are a big reason why. Almost all of the trash we picked up or scooped out of the Lake was water bottles or styrofoam, most of which can (hopefully) be a result of the wind. The only intentional trash I personally saw was a very messy firework beach (set recently) in Neanderthal. The game volunteers and I worked on it for over an hour in the heat but it's impossible to get all the small bits of fireworks. So if that was you, we cleaned up most of your mess for you. Other than that, I was very impressed with the cleanliness of recently vacated houseboat camps. Thanks again to all those who pack out what they pack in. Dave and I will be back out Sunday-Thursday heading for Oak Bay, so if you see us on the Lake, come on over and say hi!
As for fishing, we saw slurps throughout the day in that whole part of the Lake. One striper even told me that he was going to start boiling soon.
Stay safe,
Eric

That's incredible that you take the time to organize and make the efforts to clean up the lake. I'd like to reward your efforts with a free set of Lake Powell - Lake Level Maps http://lakepowellgpsmaps.com/index.html, but I don't know how to pm you. You can reach me via http://lakepowellgpsmaps.com/contact-us.html. Please let me know which format you would like. iPad, iPhone, Tablet, SmartPhone, Windows, Lowrance, or Garmin.

Thank you for your awesome efforts!! We are heading up the lake on the 27th and will be looking for a beach spot in Friendship for the houseboat. Any other recommendations from our fellow Wordlings that we should send our scout boat to?

Oh my, I hope you didn't find the rubber rattlesnake we left on the first beach to the left behind the rock in Rock Creek. My so called friends put it in the upper cupboard of the houseboat and asked me to get something out of that cupboard. The snake was tied to the inside handle with fishing line so when I opened the cupboard it jumped out at me. HAHA. I tied it to a piece of firewood on the beach so someone else could enjoy the prank but the last person I would want to have the bejegus scared out of them was a noble trashtracker. I pray not

Didn't see ANY rattlers! Rubber or scaly! But we also didn't poke our nose behind shaded rocks!

Straight across from Friendship on south side, follow the cliff face heading right (west) at the end of it you will see a wire fence about 50 feet up right where the cliff face looks like it ends. I'm talking about the long cliff that starts at Dungeon and goes west to said fence. Hook back in that cove and at the end of it you will have a surprize. At the end you will hook right. Frienship is sweet but this place is magical if water level is right.
Thank you for your awesome efforts!! We are heading up the lake on the 27th and will be looking for a beach spot in Friendship for the houseboat. Any other recommendations from our fellow Wordlings that we should send our scout boat to?[/QUOTE

Straight across from Friendship on south side, follow the cliff face heading right (west) at the end of it you will see a wire fence about 50 feet up right where the cliff face looks like it ends. I'm talking about the long cliff that starts at Dungeon and goes west to said fence. Hook back in that cove and at the end of it you will have a surprize. At the end you will hook right. Frienship is sweet but this place is magical if water level is right.

Attachments

• You_Doodle_2017-06-26T01_40_55Z.jpg
    You_Doodle_2017-06-26T01_40_55Z.jpg
    390.7 KB · Views: 44
go past 3 heading south and go around the first point then hook straight back to the end which will go to the right. It really doesn't look like there is anywhere to put a houseboat until you go right at the end ,then it opens up with one beach on the right side. We were there mid may but I think the higher water will make it even better.

I don't recognize that stretch at all. Is it uplake? How cool it that to be in a satellite image!

I don't recognize that stretch at all. Is it uplake? How cool it that to be in a satellite image!
I moved the post over to the Weird happenings at Powell thread. Sorry for the misposting. That is where the closeup pic is moved to but since you ask here is a larger scale image that gives SA & perspective. It's the unnamed canyon between Cornerstone & Teddy's Horse Pasture. It is normally slickrock with steep sides. That year the level was just right for a sandy outcropping to give us a small private beach with early afternoon shade. Not good for more than a few people but there was practically no traffic since it dead ends fairly quickly.
upload_2017-6-26_11-11-19.png

Goblin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back