Trash Tracker Report part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raven Haven

Helo all!
We just finished our first trip of the season with wonderful volunteers from Pennsylvania, Colorado, Michigan, and Arizona. We found a nice beach behind Cookie Jar where we made base camp. As usual, firework remnants were the most common item picked up on beaches. We Trash Tracked Kane Creek, Kane Wash, Padre, and most of the area around Padre Butte. I had to pull out one 3-foot rebar stake left in the sandstone in Padre. To the many other houseboats tied up to the sandstone, PLEASE remove the stakes. My co-captain TT Dave and his volunteers cleaned up a large fireworks mess in Kane Wash. Thankfully, we saw a lot less human feces on the beaches. Hopefully word is getting out to use those things called toilets.
As for fishing (after work hours, of course), we only saw two boils the entire time. One in Padre and one in Kane. Both very small. It's fun times getting 60+ year old ladies who've never fished in their lives onto catfish off the back of the boat. I motored the volunteers up to Rainbow Tuesday morning at 7:00 in fairly calm conditions and didn't see surface action the entire way.
We are heading out again Saturday, heading to the area of Rock Creek or Dove. If any Wordlings see us stop by and say hi!
Stay safe,
TT Eric and Mary
Take only pictures, leave only footprints

Last edited:
So I would like to know if I run across a piece of rebar stuck in the sandstone, how do you remove it? I have not seen one however that does not mean I wont.

So I would like to know if I run across a piece of rebar stuck in the sandstone, how do you remove it? I have not seen one however that does not mean I wont.
The best method to remove the whole piece is to use a pipe wrench or water pump plier to twist and pull them out. The other method is to cut them off at the surface of the rock. It would be really nice if those that put them in would take responsibility and take them out when leaving. Personal responsibility is something that is slipping away more and more with each generation, I fear.

The best method to remove the whole piece is to use a pipe wrench or water pump plier to twist and pull them out. The other method is to cut them off at the surface of the rock. It would be really nice if those that put them in would take responsibility and take them out when leaving. Personal responsibility is something that is slipping away more and more with each generation, I fear.
I agree. It is shame that as a society we have denigrated to "oh well someone else will take care of it" attitude. I have taught my kids to take responsibility for all that they do. I have set that by being the best example of that ideal that I can.

Thanks for the info as well.

Most of the rebar I have seen in the rocks are very old, curious if I am the only one that sees old rebar? Most people I see nowadays pinned in the rock are using stainless steel bar and are actually drilling out the hole.

We camped in Rock Creek last week on a nice beach all the way in the back of the canyon. We had two dogs with us and picked up their poop everyday but the bad thing is that there were several piles of old dog poop left by previous campers on the beach.

On the TT, we carry a Sawzall, but usually we manage to get the entire piece out. This is accomplished by banging the crap out of it with a sledgehammer or shovel. If I can get it to twist then I can usually pull it out. Sometimes we put a little water into the hole to help lessen the friction.
TT Eric

Trip #2
Another great trip with Captain TT Dave and outstanding volunteers! Jeanne and Barbara from the Scottsdale area and Ron from the White Mountains. We camped in Friendship cove with many friendly neighbors. Thanks to the Phoenix folks who dropped by with extra water and snacks.
Again, MANY fireworks to clean up on beaches. The volunteers hit it hard Saturday afternoon and Sunday with hundreds of small firework remnants and other trash from the back of Friendship.
The trashy highlights of the trip were the mini refrigerator we found in the main channel near mile marker 36 and the queen-size sofa bed on the beach in Neanderthal. It was deposited in the water there and was thoroughly soaked with sand and debris. We broke it apart with knives and the Sawzall and brought aboard the Eliminator. Living in the sofa bed habitat were 3 baby mice and mama mouse (safely relocated by volunteer Ron), 2 crayfish, and a cool frog.
We are off for our last trip on Friday morning with the Durango crew including TT Tiff and Dr. Gulliford. We are off to the San Juan, so if you see us stop by and say hi!
Stay safe,
TT Eric and Mary
Take only pictures, leave only footprintsIMG_0922.jpg

There’s a boat
On the TT, we carry a Sawzall, but usually we manage to get the entire piece out. This is accomplished by banging the crap out of it with a sledgehammer or shovel. If I can get it to twist then I can usually pull it out. Sometimes we put a little water into the hole to help lessen the friction.
TT Eric
There’s currently a boat in Shoot the chute that has at least 6 rebar posts drilled. I HOPE Desert Dream pulls them out when they leave

Trip #2
Another great trip with Captain TT Dave and outstanding volunteers! Jeanne and Barbara from the Scottsdale area and Ron from the White Mountains. We camped in Friendship cove with many friendly neighbors. Thanks to the Phoenix folks who dropped by with extra water and snacks.
Again, MANY fireworks to clean up on beaches. The volunteers hit it hard Saturday afternoon and Sunday with hundreds of small firework remnants and other trash from the back of Friendship.
The trashy highlights of the trip were the mini refrigerator we found in the main channel near mile marker 36 and the queen-size sofa bed on the beach in Neanderthal. It was deposited in the water there and was thoroughly soaked with sand and debris. We broke it apart with knives and the Sawzall and brought aboard the Eliminator. Living in the sofa bed habitat were 3 baby mice and mama mouse (safely relocated by volunteer Ron), 2 crayfish, and a cool frog.
We are off for our last trip on Friday morning with the Durango crew including TT Tiff and Dr. Gulliford. We are off to the San Juan, so if you see us stop by and say hi!
Stay safe,
TT Eric and Mary
Take only pictures, leave only footprintsView attachment 2965
Thanks for all you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back