Trailer Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaWhit

Headed down to the Lake this weekend to do some work on my Pontoon stored at OffShore. I will need to unload the boat to change some rotted-out boards on the trailer. Any suggestions on the cheapest, easiest way of what to do with the boat while I work on the trailer. I know the main ramp has a 30 min limit on parking the boat, but thought in the offseason I might be able to screw the new boards parked to the side of the ramp. Any thoughts?

We actually did this very same thing a couple years back.

We went to the main ramp and launched. We then went North of the ramp where there is camping available and swapped them out there. You can access that spot thru the beach exit if my memory serves me right

Problem with that area is some Rangers have deemed that a "Houseboat Only" area and may come down and tell you that you cant park there. It's not marked as such so they can't enforce it, but they have had a real couple of Barney Fifth's over the last couple of years and who needs that headache?

When we did our bunks there, we didn't have a problem with any Ranger. But, once when we got caught in the storm on Bullfrog Bay (waves were coming over our back railing) we got to shore as fast as we could and landed there in the "Houseboat Area". Within 5 minutes if the storm ending, Barney was there telling us we needed to get off the beach. Really depends I guess. Wife and I were in complete disbelief.

A few years ago, we had to do something similar to splash our houseboat to gauge the effect of redoing our pontoons. I stopped and told a ranger what we were doing. I explained that even though we would be longer than usual at the dock, we had someone ready to idle the boat around in the bay if we got to be in the way. He was great about it and explained that while he could not give us permission to break the law, he carefully worded a response to let me know he wouldn't make an issue of it. As it turned out, no one needed the dock for the hour and a half or so we needed the dock and all was well.

For another job on the houseboat, we had a full day's work. For that one, we paid Aramark to tie up to their dock for a day. It didn't cost that much as I remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back