Toy Tank for extra fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flipper

I was considering adding a toy tank for extra fuel to the back of my house boat. I have had issues before with trying to get fuel pumped into a variety of different tanks at the fuel pumps on the lake. I have had employees at the fuel pumps refuse to fill tanks because they were the wrong color or because they were not approved or did not have the proper labeling on them. I would hate to spend hundreds of dollars on a tank and not be able to utilize it. What all does a tank have to have to be safe and legal? Colors - labels - venting - baffles - size - material used? I would also like to hear about any options or pumps that others have used. Thanks in advance!

Contact Laketime in Page and ask them for advise. Each of their houseboats has a 200 gal "toy tank" on the back deck with an electric pump (which is like a service station pump and hose. Chuck

I don’t know what the “right” answer is.

Before we got the new houseboat, a friend picked up some 25-30 gallon plastic barrels off craigslist. The ones he got were used for industrial soap from a car wash.

The barrels were thoroughly rinsed out. He went online and bought some stickers that are labeled gasoline. And he bought a fuel transfer pump designed for gasoline that pumps at 12 or 15 gallons per minute.

The barrels were filled on land (cheaper fuel and I would argue likely better as well) and brought to the houseboat in dock. We would either pay Executive Services to put them in a cart behind the ATV, we would use a hand cart to roll them out, or we would put them on the swim platform of the boat and float them to the back deck of the houseboat.

In fact this was done as recently as last fall on a rental boat, and Aramark said because the barrels were labeled we were good.

The barrels were cheap. I think the fuel pump was around $500.

A 25 year firefighter from Denver is on our regular crew and he didn’t have issue with what we did. Perhaps we were taking our life into our own hands. It seemed safe to me and we did many trips without incident.

Someone here might have a different opinion.

Contact Laketime in Page and ask them for advise. Each of their houseboats has a 200 gal "toy tank" on the back deck with an electric pump (which is like a service station pump and hose. Chuck
I agree that Laketime should be a good source. My boat with them has a tank similar to your needs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back