Tiller motors

Status
Not open for further replies.

KYKevin

Keeper of San Juan Secrets
Do any of you guy's run a tiller, what size prop would a guy get for a 60 hp? What would be a good all around prop for Powell, to 6000 ft?
Thanks

I don’t have a filler but I do have a 16’ Lund with a 60 HP Merc 4-stroke. I have both a 10 pitch and 12 pitch aluminum 3 Blade. For Powell, the 12 works pretty well. I can get up on plane with two people and a full live well.

I don’t know how it would do at 6000’. I can tell you that at the Colorado mountain lakes, it can struggle to get on plane with the 10 pitch and the same load.

With a tiller I would assume you will have more weight in the rear and may want the lower pitch.

Just for comparison, I have the 16’ Tracker with the 60 hp 4 stroke Merc. with an 11p prop. It takes about 6 seconds to plane at 11 Mile res. (8600’) Top end is 31mph on the GPS. Live well is 3’ in front of the engine and seating is 4’ in front. Most of the weight is in the rear. Sq

If I can get 30+ out of it, i'll be satisfied. I'm thinking 12 to 13 pitch, what diameter to go with the 12 pitch?

Kevin, Go to Mercury Marine, click on propellors, then click on propeller selector, then fill in the altitude, boat size, weight etc. it will give you several choices even with that I've had to experiment a little.

Thank's, I'll try it. Hard to find someone willing to let a guy, try prop's, and bring them back, if there not the right one. And there's nothing, with in 100 mile's of here.
Thank's again.

I'd suggest you contact your boat's manufacturer. Give them your boat and engine models and inform them of the altitudes you will be using it. They might be able to help you. When I was propping my motor I contacted Ranger Boats and gave them all the info and Lake Powell's elevation. What they recommended was spot on. :)

Ed Gerdemann

I was going to tell Ed, I't funny, how even the prop dealer's, can't really tell you, that much about altitude's, and proping your boat. But I did find one, that told me, if the one I buy, is not right, they would change it out, I would just have to pay shipping. But shipping can be expensive to. But I do think I will go with a four blade.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back