Thoughts from a Lake Powell newby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Private Idaho

1. Take a Kid! Number one threat to hunting and fishing is lack of participation.
2. Catch a Catfish. LP would be a destination fishery for Channel Cats if it was in another part of the U.S. Unlike most of the other fish in the lake, the cats have no problem getting plenty of food. I have never seen catfish as fat as the ones in LP. Put a piece of hotdog on a small circle hook and toss it out from the beach. Summon a kid to reel it in when you get bit.
3. If you don't have a boat, go anyway. LP is a huge lake that you can fish like a small lake. What I mean is that each cove and/or bay fishes like it's own pond. work the structure and see what's in your area. The schools of stripers may not be in your bay so be ready to target other species. Vertical jigging a small Berkley Gulp minnow on a 1/4 oz jig head in 12 to 20 ft of water produced stripers, channels, and bluegill.
4. Bring a boat, any boat. I caught fish from shore but did better fishing from my 13 foot kayak.
5. Look for shad. Even if you don't see a lot of surface action, there are usually fish under or following the shad (including the cat). I caught stripers, LMB and catfish casting jigs and plugs to schools of shad even when I wasn't seeing boils.
6. study a map/google earth. Access from the shore is limited so have a good idea of where you can access the water. also, you can get an idea of what the bottom is like in the area you're heading for from the aerial photos on google earth.

Just my 2 cents based on limited experience on the lake. ;)

Great tips, couldn't agree more. Especially #4, we bought an 8' pedalboat to access areas in the North Lake when water levels are down.

#4...we mounted a small tiller trolling motor on our 14’ aluminum canoe.

The boys (I still call ‘em ‘boys’ but they’re 37 & 39) were gone so long one time we thought they had killed the battery. Nope, just hitting so many stripers and SMB they didn’t want to come back.

They said the canoe setup was so stealthy the fish didn’t know what hit ‘em.

#1...the ‘boys’ have been coming with us to Powell since they were 8 & 10.

Great tips @Private Idaho thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back