This weekend, fish out of Hite or Hall's ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarzArz

Two week ago (Sept. 22-24) my wife and I ran up for a three day weekend to fish out of Hite. Great trip to Powell, but lots of wind and no fish! We decided to give it one more try this year, so planning to head up for Friday, Saturday and Sunday on the water.

Trying to decide between fishing out of Hite or Halls? We generally fish within about 10 miles of camp.

We would welcome any thoughts on which might be a better fishing destination for this weekend, or results in either area over the last week? Seems like its been a bit quiet on fishing reports, I assume due to cold and wind.

In any case, I would welcome your thoughts and suggestions.
Even not catching fish at Powell is better than most things! lol But would be nice to put a few fillets in the freezer for winter! We are especially interested in Stripers, but normally fish both SMB and LMB also.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

The BarzArz

I would recommend Hite if you're going to camp out on shore. From Hite to Good Hope bay is probably only 10 miles and there should be good stripper fishing at stripper city (between Trackyte and White's canyon) and also in Good hope bay in front of Red Canyon. Everything in between is good structure along the main channel and 2 mile and 4 mile also offer good fishing for SMB and LMB. I love to fish Good Hope bay. There's just so much structure. I too am thinking about fishing this weekend. I almost have myself talked into it!

With the water as low as its been in recent years we've found our best success for everything other than Stripers is from two mile canyon down stream. I would start there and work your way all the way down to the main points to at least the top of Good Hope. Maybe with another good water year the coves and points from Hite to Farley and into White will start producing more consistently. We had to postpone for last weekend and will probably be down next weekend doing the same thing.

I would recommend Hite ... there should be good stripper fishing at stripper city (between Trackyte and White's canyon)

That sounds pretty darn good to me. If there were any stripers around it would be even better!

:)

Thank you all! We are thinking, Hite it is.
In any case, wish us luck...but will report back.
Red Basstracker Tin Boat from NM

We're heading to Hite the weekend of the 20th. I'm still questioning launching -- please come back with a report on launch conditions, water depth, travel conditions back and forth from Hite to Trachyte, etc...

SMB,LMB,walleye,striper, and crappie are what we consider the slam. He also caught numerous nice size sunfish.he said everyone he talked to was having a tough time catching anything the last couple of days.

We're heading to Hite the weekend of the 20th. I'm still questioning launching -- please come back with a report on launch conditions, water depth, travel conditions back and forth from Hite to Trachyte, etc...

lake level today is 3628. You shouldn't have any trouble launching your boat - the boat in your profile picture - at that level. We previously launched a 21 foot Trophy at 3621 at the unimproved ramp, the one furthest downstream on the upstream side of the courtesy dock. The Trophy I mentioned is a deep V with a cuddy. We will be at Hite the 18th-22nd in a tan Crestliner. We are camping somewhere at Hite in a large wall tent. Look us up and we will tell you what we know about the fishing - but sometimes that ain't much. LP has been finicky this fall.

Finicky is a good description. My long-term thoughts are that this is a good thing. In most years the fish are hungry and always looking for a meal. Our current fish population has been blessed with lots of food and cover. Now as the water cools they are getting picky. They eat when they want and relax and hang out when meal time is over. On my trip I found the smorgasbord wide open from 2-4 PM and basically shut down the rest of the time.

It sucks that we are not catching as many fish as we want but we will get back at them next spring when we catch more and bigger fish than the past few years. Right now we have to understand what their schedule is and make sure we take advantage of that opportunity. Two days ago it was 2-4 PM. Today the water is warming a bit which may prolong the feeding opportunity.

We would really like to have a fish report with the specifics. It might help others catch more fish.
He said fishing was real slow but better in the afternoon. Most were caught on shallow crankbaits in shallow water. He did see a boil in about 8' of water with big stripers launching out of it right before dark and it stopped when it got dark. Trolling for stripers at 30-60 ft has been decent. LMB and SMB were small. Thats only one day of fishing so I have limited info.

We're on the road. We will report back on conditions for Hite launching and fishing success, or lack thereof!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back