Thanksgiving week!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitromike

We will be on a houseboat on the south end for the week of Thanksgiving. Any tips to finding smallmouth this time of year? Looks like spooning for stripers or using anchovies might work once we find them. Any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I fished Padre Bay (east wall) for smallmouth on Oct 25 and Nov 1. We caught 15 and kept 6 on Nov 1. Both trips the fish abruptly turned on at 2:30pm and stopped at 4:30pm. Fish were in the rock piles close to the bottom about 6 to 15 feet deep. We added an inch of night crawler to the hook on our lures. The smallmouth were not picky on which lures we used. . Going out again Nov 17th. Will post an update if we do any good.

Last edited:
NOVEMBER 17, 2018

Made it through the Castle Rock Cut and it was 6 feet deep.

I took a couple friends sight seeing and we went into the back of Navajo Canyon. They did not fish. I could not resist putting my line in the water for a few minutes. Fished the back of Navajo Canyon and caught 5 fish in 30 minutes consisting of 4 different species (SB, LMB, SMB, BG). The fish were caught in the afternoon between 1430 and 1500 hours where the mid channel depth was 20 feet deep. The striper was in poor condition and too skinny to filet so it was killed and recycled back to the lake. The other fish were too small to keep and thrown back. I used a 1/8 ounce jig with a smoke/silver flake colored grub attached to 8 pound test clear fluorocarbon line. Caught 3 fish (2 SMB and 1 SB) trolling the jig against a wall at 2mph and the others were caught jigging into rock piles . My sonar was going crazy with a lot of fish stacked up in the back of Navajo.

If you were to go into the back of Navajo Canyon with some night crawlers and anchovies, then fish where the main channel is 20 feet deep, I think you will do very well on several different species. Good Luck!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back