Tempura Striper - TC

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a batter mix much like what could be called a Tempura batter.

1 C flour 1 Tbls Baking Powder 1 Tbls garlic salt, or 1/2 that amount of Garlic powder.

Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl.

Add water so that you make a soft ball with the batter.

Then add white vinegar and whip until the consistency of a light pancake batter is achieved.

For striper, I will soak the filets in beer, any kind is fine, what I find this does is help remove the excess fish taste from the red part of the meat. They can be soaked anywhere from a couple of hours to days, the time really is not too critical.

Remove them from the beer into something that will allow a good draining. You actually want thte filets to be only moist before dipping.

Heat up a pot of oil to 375 degrees. Use a thermometer and a heavy pot for best results. Oh and having all of this outside is a big plus!

Place the filets, or pieces, usually about 2-3 inches in length, into the batter, remove from the batter and place into the hot oil.

Move them a bit and when they hit that golden to a bit darker they are done. Place then into a bowl with a paper towell and chow down!

OH you can also add some cajun spice, or dash and lemon pepper to the mix for a slight change in taste.

I've fed some large crowds with this one and so far there have been no leftovers! That sure tells me something!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back