Summer Jobs on Powell

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDPJ

Considering a season of work on the lake. Anybody done it or know someone who has? Any advice or knowledge would be appreciated.
Aramark advertises on their benefits page free powerboat rentals and free week on a houseboat upon successful completion of a season. I contacted HR to get more knowledge of these terms (sound kinda too good) and they seem stand offish about divulging that information without getting hired. Somewhat of a large sacrifice coming from San Diego where +-5 degrees of 70 is the norm. Definitely have the sole intention of fishing the lake with all of the free time that I have.

Worked there ten years. What do you want to know.
How accessible and affordable are boat rentals? What’s employee housing like?
Is there a houseboat vacation or at least a significant discount at the end of the season (per the website)
Are work weeks generally 40 hours or are they crazy 60-80 hour weeks?

How accessible and affordable are boat rentals? Power boat rentals are pretty accessible except during peak season times (July 4th etc.) You are only required to pay the insurance which is something like $20 a day.
What’s employee housing like? The seasonal housing is dorms consisting of 12 rooms usually shared with another person. Bunk beds or fulls in single units. A sink. A closet. A small bathroom with standup shower. Community rec center with TV, Pool table, Air hockey, vending machines, foosball, and I think ping pong table. Same building also houses the employee dining room.
Is there a houseboat vacation or at least a significant discount at the end of the season (per the website) I think the dates have change, but you do get a free week on a houseboat (must pay insurance) if you fulfill your contract and it's in their parameters (Like May-Sept. maybe?)
Are work weeks generally 40 hours or are they crazy 60-80 hour weeks? Generally 40 hours. Some departments might allow overtime during peak season just depends on how well staffed everyone is.

Thanks Docker. Very well laid out and precise answer. I appreciate that. What kind of work have done up there?

Used to be unlimited houseboat use and I used to take out three at a time. The rule was that you had to be driving so I sidetied the other two and drove the middle one. 60 feet long by 45 feet wide. Live band on the top deck playing blues. A blast. My wife and I would go out at least 3 times a year. I was a full-time employee. No one was able to get a boat during peak season. Part-time employees did only get to take a houseboat once per season.
Parked my powerboat on the dock and fished on my lunch break, usually around Castle Rock. The food at the cafeteria was pretty darn good, for cheap

Used to be unlimited houseboat use and I used to take out three at a time. The rule was that you had to be driving so I sidetied the other two and drove the middle one. 60 feet long by 45 feet wide. Live band on the top deck playing blues. A blast. My wife and I would go out at least 3 times a year. I was a full-time employee. No one was able to get a boat during peak season. Part-time employees did only get to take a houseboat once per season.
Parked my powerboat on the dock and fished on my lunch break, usually around Castle Rock. The food at the cafeteria was pretty darn good, for cheap
Thanks for the reply. 3 house boats sounds fun!

Worked there one summer in the '80's at Bullfrog. Fun job for the summer, I was already signed up for the Navy so I didn't partake in the after hours parties. Cheap living expenses. Lots of drugs. Not sure if I would want my kids working there.

Erik

Talking with the employees at offshore years ago, I was surprised to find out most of them have never even been out on the lake. So there they are, stuck in the middle of nowhere, dealing with a fair amount of people that treat them very poorly, ( not everyone of course ) and unable to enjoy the wonders of the lake, I thought the drugs were mandatory for survival, ha ha.

Talking with the employees at offshore years ago, I was surprised to find out most of them have never even been out on the lake. So there they are, stuck in the middle of nowhere, dealing with a fair amount of people that treat them very poorly, ( not everyone of course ) and unable to enjoy the wonders of the lake, I thought the drugs were mandatory for survival, ha ha.

Same as when I worked down at Powell, I was the only one who went out on the lake. For many it was work your hours and party at night.

My last tournament partner ran Dry Storage at Bullfrog, he hardly ever got on the water. I never did see much partying when I was there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back