Stripers on spoons Good Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty

Friday 9/14 we left Bullfrog at first light boating north looking for boils. No boils seen. All the way to Good Hope there were a few splashes of fish hitting the surface but no boils. Water was calm. We used spoons all morning to target the echoes on the graph with no success. As the day warmed we fished for fish along the shore in the shade and picked up many on small jigs. Walleye, smb, lmb, sunfish, bluegill and catfish. Later in the afternoon as the shade reached a spot where the graph showed a structure that stretched out away from shore we spooned some echoes in 63' of water. Boated 15 good healthy stripers. The school moved on so we went looking. Did not find them again that evening. No boils either. Night fished in a great cove but caught only catfish.

Saturday morning we looked for more boils. None seen. Went back to spot where we found stripers the day before. A few hundreds yards south of the floating restroom. Spooned up 35 good stripers. In about two hours. Small spoon seemed to work better. Or else the good angler in the boat is really just that much better than I as he landed at least 20 of those. Also a few healthy catfish.

At the fish cleaning station we talked with anglers that found a boil in Forgotten. But landed most of their fish on anchovies perhaps in Halls Creek. They had some very nice catfish also.

There were many shad schools and in calm water we could see them. The fish on this trip were not line shy and hit hard. They also fought well costing us a few jigs as we did not retie often enough I guess. We tipped our jigs as it made a difference with the smaller fish. The stripers are a lot of fun when they are this fat.

Thanks for the report. It keeps me humble as I was in the same area and only spooned up two fish! Learning a new fish finder that replaced my “old” paper graph and sounds like I have a lot to learn about catching stripers. Old dogs can learn new tricks, it just takes us longer some times! Glad you had a good weekend!

Last edited by a moderator:
Friday 9/14 we left Bullfrog at first light boating north looking for boils. No boils seen. All the way to Good Hope there were a few splashes of fish hitting the surface but no boils. Water was calm. We used spoons all morning to target the echoes on the graph with no success. As the day warmed we fished for fish along the shore in the shade and picked up many on small jigs. Walleye, smb, lmb, sunfish, bluegill and catfish. Later in the afternoon as the shade reached a spot where the graph showed a structure that stretched out away from shore we spooned some echoes in 63' of water. Boated 15 good healthy stripers. The school moved on so we went looking. Did not find them again that evening. No boils either. Night fished in a great cove but caught only catfish.

Saturday morning we looked for more boils. None seen. Went back to spot where we found stripers the day before. A few hundreds yards south of the floating restroom. Spooned up 35 good stripers. In about two hours. Small spoon seemed to work better. Or else the good angler in the boat is really just that much better than I as he landed at least 20 of those. Also a few healthy catfish.

At the fish cleaning station we talked with anglers that found a boil in Forgotten. But landed most of their fish on anchovies perhaps in Halls Creek. They had some very nice catfish also.

There were many shad schools and in calm water we could see them. The fish on this trip were not line shy and hit hard. They also fought well costing us a few jigs as we did not retie often enough I guess. We tipped our jigs as it made a difference with the smaller fish. The stripers are a lot of fun when they are this fat.

Thanks Marty, Great 👍report. We will be heading to Stanton creek in a week. Sounds like the trip uplake will be in the plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back