Striper Frenzy (Thank You Wayne)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterMan

We were fishing the mouth to the great ben on May 2 when this happened. The first pass into the great ben we hooked a double trolling. The next pass back to the mouth I hooked a single. The stripers started the appear on the graft. Mr. Pike grabbed his jigging rod as I played with the hooked striper. Mr. Pike hooked up and I brought my striper on board and grabbed my jigging rod. After I hooked up Mr. Pike brought his striper on board. We hit the spot lock and we continued this process for one hour and 45 stripers later when we gave up do to live wells full and getting dark. After filleting the stripers we found only 4 of the 48 stripers were in bad shape.

The graph shows the time frame and how the fish worked.

Graph after the first several stripers caught.
IMG950578.jpg
The graph were there where to many stripers to read the bottom
IMG950583_2.jpg
The graph after one hour
IMG950588.jpg
The graph 6 minutes after we stopped fishing
IMG950590.jpg
150 QT cooler
IMG950593.jpg

Hope this helps you catch more stripers.

Last edited:
I have boated in that area for many years in early July. You picked a good area for stripers. Congratulations.

WaterMan, or any one else, can you share some of your sonar settings for getting a good display like those? I'm an electronics newbie and picked up a Hook 9 this spring on clearance. I've tried it a few times at Navajo and getting better at manual adjustments, but would love a picture like that when I get to Powell next.

I have the Lowrance Ti 7, and start with the auto sensitivity. If you are getting a bunch of clutter, enter into the sensitivity setting mode and play around with how high you can turn up the sensitivity before you start getting clutter, then back it off a bit. When the fish are stacked like that, you should have no problem seeing the fish, even on the base setting! Be sure to turn off the fish ID setting...

A few years ago on here, one of the members offered a hands on, educational outing on his own boat from Bullfrog to show people exactly how a fishfinder should work, settings, scenarios, etc. I thought that was amazing, and showed how great this site truly is. I think it was KBass, but I can't recall who for sure.......but I do remember how awesome that was to offer! :cool:

I am pretty sure you are right about K-Bass. I was on the boat with Carol & Clell (C&C) when he was doing his tutorial for them. It was at one of the North rallies. Sq

A few years ago on here, one of the members offered a hands on, educational outing on his own boat from Bullfrog to show people exactly how a fishfinder should work, settings, scenarios, etc. I thought that was amazing, and showed how great this site truly is. I think it was KBass, but I can't recall who for sure.......but I do remember how awesome that was to offer! :cool:

It was KBass at one of the north rallies a number of years ago. He gave me quite a few good pointers. You can also go to doctorsonar.com

TR

It was KBass at one of the north rallies a number of years ago. He gave me quite a few good pointers. You can also go to doctorsonar.com

TR
Hi guys. The things I mention to people have to do with "shrinking" the water picture (screen) to the range you are fishing. Most people leave their finders on automatic depth mode. If the fish are in 60 ft of water I adjust my depth range to 60 or 80 ft. by turning off the auto depth. This allows my picture to be scanning the fishable water not the whole water column. Then I use the zoom to really zero in on specific schools or fish. Most times you can see your lure when spooning or bait fishing vertically using these settings. I think it is difficult to talk these steps. Much easier to show than try to explain. Hope this helps rather than confuses. I should be down to the lake June first in the slips south of the store on K dock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back