Striper chunks as chum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coming in next week for a few days of striper fishing, and would rather not keep running in to the marina for fresh frozen Anchovies. How would striper chunks work as chum and bait?

Cut off the white under belly skin of the striper, just past the vent up to the gills, and cut a 2 to 3 inch long piece 1/2" to 3/4" wide in the shape of a small fish. Cut a flip tail or split tail at the end of the bait. Need a sharp knife and a board to carve it out on. You can make use the un edible parts of fish you intend to eat and catch more fish with out spending a lot of money on chovies. If they are really biting you can fish for hours on a single bait. If they are a little slow a new bait every 1/2 hour helps your catch rate. You can get 2 or 3 baits out of one belly piece. One great thing about this method is that it is the bait is really though to get off, usually have to cut it off with a knife. First tried this in Florida catching pink mouth grunts when we ran out of squid.

No need to get elaborate. If you are fishing with bait, you are going to catch some marginal and or skinny stripers. Just cut em' into 3/4" cubes and start chumming. Any part of the striper will stay on your hook for a very long time if you hook them through the skin. Just be sure to not block off the hook with too thick of a piece....

why would anyone ever buy anchovies when there are plenty of stripers to use as both bait and chum???

well.....how do you catch the first fish?

The last time I fished at Buoy 25 I saw 4 boats fishing along the wall. I idled in to find a spot and saw 4 or 5 stripers that had been thrown back but did not make it. They were floating on the surface. I scooped up a fish, filleted and cut it into small chunks and then went fishing for stripers. It worked very well.

Another option is to try Gulp minnows. They keep quite well in your tackle box and you can use them to catch the first fish.

The most logical thing to do is bring a bag of frozen anchovies or a half bag that was used last trip in your fish cooler where you are going to immediately put fish on ice to keep them in great shape until you can fillet them.

I rarely fish with anchovies to catch Stripers, but when I catch an occasional Striper with a lure I keep it and use it for bait. Wayne is right, it works really well. On our most recent trip, those who used anchovies to start off with did well, so taking a bag or two in a small cooler is a pretty good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back