Striper action 6/15-6/16

Status
Not open for further replies.

richyd4u

Decided on a whim, to head over to LP from STG, UT Thursday-Friday last week. Reports looked promising, so I though what the heck. We usually go later in the summer for the jumps, but the slurps sounded like a challenge! Got to Wahweap Thursday around 0600, headed through CR cut and immediately found slurps on the main channel side of the double islands. 1/4 oz silver cast master did the trick, but you had to be positioned just right to get a hit...you had to anticipate the direction of the slurp in order to get a long cast in front of the cruising stripers....if you do, game on. Lots of Juveniles in that area, although I did pick up some bigger 2-3lb class by allowing my cast master to flutter down below the school. I even caught some 2lb smallies that were running around with the striper schools. After an hour or so, I gave up on them and headed up to Padre Bay and MM25...found some MASSIVE slurps in that area. One slurp had thousands of stripers in it, and stayed up for hours. I just followed it around and positioned myself and bam, bam. These stripers were a better class then down in the Warm Creek area...2-3 pounders. Super fun on my 7 ft ultra light rod and 6lb test fluro! I chased them for a couple hours until the boat traffic got so bad it broke them all up. Then I pulled into the cove right off the white cliffs at MM25 and set up with chovies. Took about 10 minutes or so with nothing, but then GAME ON! It was hard to keep up with the 2 poles by myself, so I would just leave one rod in the holder with the fish on, get the other one in, reload it with a chovie, drop it back down, then real the other striper in just in time for the other rod to get hit again, and so on and so on! Pretty fun! Loaded up 40 nice stripers, and then the heat turned on and it was game over for the day.
Day two (Fri) I solely searched out slurps...found them all over the main channel all the way up from Warm Creek to MM25. I would stop and catch a bunch, then proceed on to the next slurp. Some of the slurps were becoming boarder line jumps with some aggressive splashes. Again, 1/4oz silver cast master was the ticket, with long casts leading the school. Stopped back again quick at MM25 to finish of the few chovies I had left from the previous day. Game on again until I ran out of chovies and decided to hit the road back home. Over all, 70 stripers by myself, with a lot of them caught in the slurps...couldn't have had more fun! Can't wait to go back in July when all those slurps turn into top water crashing jumps!

-Rich20170615_085611.jpg 20170615_152119.jpg

Decided on a whim, to head over to LP from STG, UT Thursday-Friday last week. Reports looked promising, so I though what the heck. We usually go later in the summer for the jumps, but the slurps sounded like a challenge! Got to Wahweap Thursday around 0600, headed through CR cut and immediately found slurps on the main channel side of the double islands. 1/4 oz silver cast master did the trick, but you had to be positioned just right to get a hit...you had to anticipate the direction of the slurp in order to get a long cast in front of the cruising stripers....if you do, game on. Lots of Juveniles in that area, although I did pick up some bigger 2-3lb class by allowing my cast master to flutter down below the school. I even caught some 2lb smallies that were running around with the striper schools. After an hour or so, I gave up on them and headed up to Padre Bay and MM25...found some MASSIVE slurps in that area. One slurp had thousands of stripers in it, and stayed up for hours. I just followed it around and positioned myself and bam, bam. These stripers were a better class then down in the Warm Creek area...2-3 pounders. Super fun on my 7 ft ultra light rod and 6lb test fluro! I chased them for a couple hours until the boat traffic got so bad it broke them all up. Then I pulled into the cove right off the white cliffs at MM25 and set up with chovies. Took about 10 minutes or so with nothing, but then GAME ON! It was hard to keep up with the 2 poles by myself, so I would just leave one rod in the holder with the fish on, get the other one in, reload it with a chovie, drop it back down, then real the other striper in just in time for the other rod to get hit again, and so on and so on! Pretty fun! Loaded up 40 nice stripers, and then the heat turned on and it was game over for the day.
Day two (Fri) I solely searched out slurps...found them all over the main channel all the way up from Warm Creek to MM25. I would stop and catch a bunch, then proceed on to the next slurp. Some of the slurps were becoming boarder line jumps with some aggressive splashes. Again, 1/4oz silver cast master was the ticket, with long casts leading the school. Stopped back again quick at MM25 to finish of the few chovies I had left from the previous day. Game on again until I ran out of chovies and decided to hit the road back home. Over all, 70 stripers by myself, with a lot of them caught in the slurps...couldn't have had more fun! Can't wait to go back in July when all those slurps turn into top water crashing jumps!

-RichView attachment 674 View attachment 675
That's a good haul of fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back