Stephen's Mid lake fishing trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yukon

New Member - first post. Thanks for the amazing web site, Wayne! Its like a college course in warm water fishing. And thanks to all the members who have shared valuable information freely making our first family fishing run to Powell a great time. Stephens family from Henefer / Morgan Utah went to Powell for a quick weekend May 4 and 5th. Me, 3 boys, a girl friend, and my bride crammed into the boat and tried to create general mayhem with the water critters. Fished North of Bullfrog both days in Forgotten, Knowles, Cedar and Moki. Great weather, warm and just a slight breeze. Struggled to find any bedded bass, they seemed to have moved back down a little. Fishfinder did not work so don't have water temp and really impacted our ability to find the beasties. Got bites on a venom tubes fished on light heads, hula grubs and curly tails, all in the member favorites colors of pumpkin and green. Wife slayed the first fish of the trip on a pink girly looking flicker bait from the shore under the lodge the night we arrived. Heard about that all trip long. Cranks and stick baits did not work well on this trip. Nor did spinner baits. Tried to figure out bottom bouncers but without the fish finder dont think we were working the right areas for Mr Walleye. Wife did catch sunfish on them though. Strippers on Moki in the traditional spots but we did not spend much time there. In fact our biggest problem might have been trying to catch everything in one quick trip rather than focusing a bit more. So, catch rates were not that great as we bounced around areas trying different things. The boys and bride had the most fun messing with sunfish with tiny hooks and a chunk of crawler. They could have sat there for hours teasing them. No luck trolling or with surface baits. Family had a great time. Oldest and his girlfriend spent more time playing snuggle bunny in the front of the boat than fishing - oh well we have all been there right. My middle son is paraplegic which make fishing interesting at times but when he gets into it he always out fishes the rest of us. My youngest was the dedicated water wizard on this trip and got bragging rights on biggest and most. Now if I could just find him a cute young fisher girl so he will keep going with me cause I need someone to tie the knots. Question, we had a debate at dinner if we were catching bluegill or a green sunfish - can a more experienced eye check out the photo and answer the question? Until next time - tight lines to all

carey powell bg.jpgdutsy powell bg.jpgjosh powel smb.jpgjosh powell sb.jpglance powell lmb.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back