State Line to Forgotton Canyon - Boils, Boils, Boils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reed

Ok, so I left State Line Ramp Friday morning the 4th of August decided to head north as far as time and fishing would take me. First boil fished in Warm creek only caught two stripers. Next came corner by Gregory Butte. three boils 6 fish. Fueled up The Rope only (4.6 gallons) and kept heading north. Next boil was about Music Temple only caught one before they went under. Dropped a Cotton Cordel 3 oz spoon and caught three more at about 50 feet. Next came the Escalante and Clear Creek. I wanted to hike The Cathedral so took a break and did so. Caught one catfish on a Spoon right and the rope up the wall. Then the wind went away to a far away land and it was on. I do not know how many different boils I ran into between The Escalante and The Rincon but I was wondering If I was going to need to keep going. I must have landed nearly 30 Stripers in that stretch. (So exhausting) Still had tons of light so kept going north. Next boil was around Lake Canyon only two there. Then I noticed splashing across from Bullfrog Marina they were going crazy for the shad in only 20 feet and less of water. Caught maybe ten there. Then I noticed and boat not looking right. Looks like it had broken free from its mooring. (See pic.) I told the Park Service while I was getting fuel (10.2. gallons) they said they would notify Aramark. Hope it all turned out ok. So on I went all the way to Forgotten Canyon See pic of campsite. Six more stripers on a few boils towards then end of Forgotten right at dusk. Next Day (Saturday) only two boils by Halls buoy field. Then all the way back. I did not stop for fuel again ( I always carry 12 extra gallons in Hydro Trailer) until Music Temple where I added 6 gallons. The wind was so bad I did not see any more boils. I did graph some across from Friendship and spooned them from 60 feet . Got about 6 then.

A crazy fun two days that I must repeat again very soon. Thanks again Wayne for all your insight in how to go catching not just fishing.

I did finally figure out that I could catch more if I hook one then toss my second rod hook one then bring them in. I got many doubles. I can still call them doubles right?
20170804_192958-2124x1195.jpg striperaug17.jpg 20170804_162616-2124x1195.jpg

Yes - if you hook a fish in a boil, set that rod down, cast again, hook another and then figure out a way to play both fish and land them - Yes that is officially a WW double!

Now its time for you to move on from doubles and score your first triple and I cant even imagine a quadruple.
We wait for your next report with "baited" breath.

Last edited:
Yes - if you hook a fish in a boil, set that rod down, cast again, hook another and then figure out a way to play both fish and land them - Yes that is officially a WW double!

Now its time for you to move on from doubles and score your fist triple and I cant even imagine a quadruple.
We wait for your next report with "baited" breath.
So did I understand correctly? Did i just get written permission to use four rods at once?

No silly. I have to be on the jet ski with you and hold rod one and two while you cast 3 and 4. Then after you land fish 3 and 4 I will hand rod 1 and 2 back to you and let you reel in the last 2 fish.

That will really make the stripers mad because they were plotting how to get you tangled up in fishing line and then pull you off the PWC and eat all the bait and almonds that fell in the water off the capsized trailer. :)

Oh, allmost forgot my question. Reed, where were the most health fish caught?
Thank's
KyKevin

Oh, allmost forgot my question. Reed, where were the most health fish caught?
Thank's
KyKevin

All the fish I caught were very fat and healthy. Several coughing up 1 inch shad. Only one skinny and he was in the back of Forgotton Canyon and quickly dispatched.

Great, I hope it's not just the Shad, I hope it's the mussel's allso, one way or the other. I'talked with a guide, out of Havasu, and he told me, after the mussel's, got in there, the fishing got better and better. Hope something good, come's out of them. There's no dought, the Bluegill's are doing better, then I have ever seen them. Headed down, to chase boil's, I feel the energy building.
You all have a good one.
KyKevin

Ok, so I left State Line Ramp Friday morning the 4th of August decided to head north as far as time and fishing would take me. First boil fished in Warm creek only caught two stripers. Next came corner by Gregory Butte. three boils 6 fish. Fueled up The Rope only (4.6 gallons) and kept heading north. Next boil was about Music Temple only caught one before they went under. Dropped a Cotton Cordel 3 oz spoon and caught three more at about 50 feet. Next came the Escalante and Clear Creek. I wanted to hike The Cathedral so took a break and did so. Caught one catfish on a Spoon right and the rope up the wall. Then the wind went away to a far away land and it was on. I do not know how many different boils I ran into between The Escalante and The Rincon but I was wondering If I was going to need to keep going. I must have landed nearly 30 Stripers in that stretch. (So exhausting) Still had tons of light so kept going north. Next boil was around Lake Canyon only two there. Then I noticed splashing across from Bullfrog Marina they were going crazy for the shad in only 20 feet and less of water. Caught maybe ten there. Then I noticed and boat not looking right. Looks like it had broken free from its mooring. (See pic.) I told the Park Service while I was getting fuel (10.2. gallons) they said they would notify Aramark. Hope it all turned out ok. So on I went all the way to Forgotten Canyon See pic of campsite. Six more stripers on a few boils towards then end of Forgotten right at dusk. Next Day (Saturday) only two boils by Halls buoy field. Then all the way back. I did not stop for fuel again ( I always carry 12 extra gallons in Hydro Trailer) until Music Temple where I added 6 gallons. The wind was so bad I did not see any more boils. I did graph some across from Friendship and spooned them from 60 feet . Got about 6 then.

A crazy fun two days that I must repeat again very soon. Thanks again Wayne for all your insight in how to go catching not just fishing.

I did finally figure out that I could catch more if I hook one then toss my second rod hook one then bring them in. I got many doubles. I can still call them doubles right?
View attachment 850 View attachment 852 View attachment 851
What's with the little tri-hull?? Looks almost identical to our Miss My Money??? Where was it?? Not ours but I did not recall ever seeing one like it at the lake??

What's with the little tri-hull?? Looks almost identical to our Miss My Money??? Where was it?? Not ours but I did not recall ever seeing one like it at the lake??
It's a holiday mansion that was beached in bullfrog bay when a storm came up, snapped the anchor lines and it was pushed up on the rocks as a result. Exec tried to pull it off the beach but couldn't do it with just the tow boat they had. Halls and bullfrog marina have several both in the slips and on the buoys.

If the fishing got better after the mussels, wouldn't that fly in the face of the mussels killing the impound?
Great, I hope it's not just the Shad, I hope it's the mussel's allso, one way or the other. I'talked with a guide, out of Havasu, and he told me, after the mussel's, got in there, the fishing got better and better. Hope something good, come's out of them. There's no dought, the Bluegill's are doing better, then I have ever seen them. Headed down, to chase boil's, I feel the energy building.
You all have a good one.
KyKevin

I think if the mussel's did'nt attach to everything, and were like the other mussel's in the lake, and cause such work, and problem's, they would just be another mussel on the beach, no big deal, but where they spread, and cause a lot of damage or work, they are a big deal. And all I was saying, is we do have them, and I hope, at least the fishing benifit's from them. A guy allway's has to try, and look at both side's, and hope one side is brighter.

Unfortunately, the mussels are just getting established. If they take off like they have in many lakes ...and lets hope they don't..., they eat most of the plankton, which drives the food web that supports all of the game fish. It is way too early in the infestation to really know what the effects of the mussels will be to the fishery, especially the stripers. But it will certainly not help them!

The mussels have been in Lake Mead for many more years than Powell. I only hear from just a couple guys but they have not noticed declines in fishing there. The water is warmer at Mead due to the elevation difference so the shad probably do better. Unfortunately there is not a good info source like we have in Wayne's Words. Chuck

I wonder how the mussels have affected Powell's water infrastructure. The power plant intakes and the dam. The water district in Vegas has been severely impacted by the mussels, taking radical measures to kill them including chemical introduction. Probably not the best thing for drinking water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back