Stanton - mid February

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m planning on camping from shore at Stanton Creek and fishing the area in my float tube. Anyone fished there recently? Or early spring in previous years? If I can’t find a decent bite there during the day I’ll probably hit the docks at night.

I fished Stanton last year on March 5th. Caught some walleyes from shore.

Start off with what you did last year. If it’s calm and sunny, there has been good discussion on Jerkbait bites, I’d go to that if plan A doesn’t work.

Anyone got any dock night fishing tips? I’m going to bring my ice fishing flasher (sonar) and use it off the docks. Going to catch some suckers the day before I come down for bait. Anyone ever use strips of cut sucker? Can’t imagine it not working well.
Getting excited to head down!

Anyone got any dock night fishing tips? I’m going to bring my ice fishing flasher (sonar) and use it off the docks. Going to catch some suckers the day before I come down for bait. Anyone ever use strips of cut sucker? Can’t imagine it not working well.
I am pretty sure you are not allowed to bring bait from other bodies of water.

@wayne gustaveson would know for sure.

You can certainly use cut up stripers that you catch in Powell though.

Best if you get some frozen anchovies as they are definitely allowed.

Just looked at the regs, dead sucker is legal 👍🏻
Ok, that's good to know.

Just didn't want you to get in trouble as I know there is very little live or dead bait that is allowed....like no minnows for example. :(

Chance of getting stopped this time of year are probably nil also, but you never know.

Here is a recent report posted today: Dock fishing after dark
Using bait off the fish dock after dark. I am working on another report of a big largemouth caught using these same techniques - stay tuned!

Ok, that's good to know.

Just didn't want you to get in trouble as I know there is very little live or dead bait that is allowed....like no LIVE minnows for example. :(

Fixed it for you.

The Utah regs are pretty clear on this. From the Utah Fishing Guidebook page 12 under the Bait section:
...While you are fishing, it is unlawful to:
•Use or possess live baitfish
•Use or possess tiger salamanders (live or dead)
•Dead shad from Lake Powell may be used as bait only in Lake Powell. It is illegal to remove dead shad from the Glen Canyon National Recreation Area.
•Dead striped bass from Lake Powell may be used as bait or chum only in Lake Powell.
•Dead, fresh or frozen saltwater species, including sardines and anchovies, may be used as bait in any water where bait is permitted.
•Dead mountain sucker, white sucker, Utah sucker, redside shiner, speckled dace, mottled sculpin, fathead minnow (all color variants, including rosy red minnows), Utah chub and common carp may be used as bait in any water where bait is permitted.
You may only use live crayfish for bait if you are on the water where the crayfish were captured. It is unlawful to transport live crayfish away from the water where they were captured.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back