Stanton Creek Fishin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squirrel

Keeper of San Juan Secrets
I just got back from Stanton creek, 9/20 thru 9/29. Caught over 50 stripers 30 smallmouth, from the bank at my campsite. The stripers and smallmouth were working the bank for the last 5 days, as soon as the wind died down on Saturday. There were full blown boils in the middle of the North bay. I had to crimp the barbs on my popper so I could get the lure out of the fish and get it back in the water faster. This was the best time fishin' at Powell in 35 years. I caught 95% of all the fish on a BPS Extreme Blue/White bucktail popper.
The only other productive fishin' for smallies was the new whale appearing it's head at the Mouth of Hansen Creek. I still can't buy a walleye at Powell. Sq

Great to hear this. I've never caught more than 6-8 in that cove and boy I've tried.
Squirrel, at this water level are there many places to park boats? And, how hard is it to find a campsite (how crowded?)
I'm two weeks away and cant wait-

Great to hear this. I've never caught more than 6-8 in that cove and boy I've tried.
Squirrel, at this water level are there many places to park boats? And, how hard is it to find a campsite (how crowded?)
I'm two weeks away and cant wait-

At this water level there are only 4 or 5 places, on the North side for boats. Most of that area is a steep wall drop off into about 20+' of water. There is more places for camping than for boats. I haven't been on the South side for years, so I can't say about there.

There was a guy that was bringing a houseboat there in 3 days, he said, that claimed a whole cove on the 19th and when we got there on the 20th, he said we couldn't park there because he marked the spot. 6 days later the house boat did show up and he parked it in a different spot, around the corner from the spot he took control of for a week. The boat is the "Classic Voyager". Sorry about rambling on, I was really POed at him. Sq

At this water level there are only 4 or 5 places, on the North side for boats. Most of that area is a steep wall drop off into about 20+' of water. There is more places for camping than for boats. I haven't been on the South side for years, so I can't say about there.

There was a guy that was bringing a houseboat there in 3 days, he said, that claimed a whole cove on the 19th and when we got there on the 20th, he said we couldn't park there because he marked the spot. 6 days later the house boat did show up and he parked it in a different spot, around the corner from the spot he took control of for a week. The boat is the "Classic Voyager". Sorry about rambling on, I was really POed at him. Sq
You obviously are more patient than I am with that type of action. I have no patience for BS like that.

I had no idea you could "reserve" shoreline a week in advance. To whom do I call to make said reservation?
Contact the guy that drives the "Classic Voyager" I'll try to get his # for you. "He talks like he is from Down Under" Sq

That reminds me very much of some waterfowl hunters. When I used to do a lot of duck hunting, I found out there are too many people out there that think they have some kind of special right to public lands, because they have "hunted here my whole life" or "we always hunt here." On LP, I have had house boaters park right next to our camp in a completely empty bay because "we always camp here"!

What a jerk! If you are considerate person, those kind of situations really can get your goat! What possible reason could he have to think he could reserve public land by "marking the spot"?

Indeed... I frequent a lake in Wyoming where there are a limited number of camping spots. Guys would haul their 5th wheels out to these spots on Tuesday or Wednesday nights after work, park them and leave until Friday night. That made some folks angry...
Parks and Rec finally made a rule that said you must be at your camp each night or surrender that spot- now it is much better.

Thanks for the info Squirrel, and yes what a jerk. I'd like to know the official rule for this -reserving public land- if anyone has that info.
THX

I swerved pretty hard to miss that whale three weeks ago. I looked ahead, saw it, had the usual heart attack, and didn't hit it. Wasn't my day to reshape metal.

We fished that whale for over a hour, with good results on SMB. There is a 4' cut from a prop on the top. Somebody wasn't so lucky. When we were coming out of Hansen there was a cruiser at a high rate of speed run the small cut between that whale and the slickrock. He never slowed down. It was his lucky day. Sq

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back