Spot lock advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
You "techno Weenies" kill me. But I do like some of the features described . I'm not much farther advanced than the cane pole and bobber?
LOL! I like things to be simple and functional.... this was a huge learning curve for me and I’m a long way from having it mastered. Having said that, some homework and some actual use of these functions on the water will allow me to exploit all of the functionality of these very powerful tools.

I have the Ulterra 112# on a 21' Lund. Works very well, love the features it has. Mine came on the boat new. First time out I was unable to use the trolling motor most of the morning because I could not get it to deploy. Finally through frustration I hit the deploy button several times in a roll trying to get it to deploy and down it went. You have to hit the deploy button twice to get it to deploy! I am still learning about what all it will do. I have learned more about it in the last 15 minutes reading this than I have in using it for four years. Although it is very powerful, it is also very delicate. I have had to send mine in twice. in four years. I broke the shaft on it once and it quit rotating once. I highly recommend keeping the box it came in because you will need it to send it back for repairs if ever needed. I use mine a lot to steer the boat with while trolling the banks for Walleye and occasionally Crappie. I use the kicker motor for the speed I want and the trolling motor to actually steer the boat. Hitting shallow rocks will cause you problems. For every automatic function there is, there is also a motor and limit switches that control that function. These things don't like resistance or being jarred. They are also sluggish and hateful to use in cold weather. Mostly won't completely stow and or deploy. Had it a couple of times not want to deploy when it was dark and needed to get headed back to camp. Had to just trim it up out of the water and go back. I had to go onto the internet and print an owners manual out to keep on the boat. It will explain how to trouble shoot problems and do preventive maintenance and lubrication.

I saw a promotional slot on one of the fishing shows that showed the features of the new Garmin trolling motor that is similar to the Ulterra. I would take a serious look at these before I spent $3600 on new trolling motor.

Last edited:
I have the ulterra and really like it. It is networked with two different humminbird finders, one at the bow and one on the console. I did have a problem with spot lock turning off while fishing Bullfrog Bay (nice open clear view of sky). I think it was so calm with no wind the motor didn’t need to make adjustments and would “time out”. I have used it since without problem with slight wind.

I fish alone on occasion and the auto deploy/spot lock/remote allows me to launch easily. My main reason for getting the ulterra rather than terrova.
I have used the spot lock, auto pilot, follow the contour, and i track extensively. I sat at home and made an i track that I wanted to follow in the dark later at night. Much less stress at night.

I haven’t really used the foot pedal. That’s something I want to start learning.

I absolutely love the set-up. I’d hate to go back to the cane pole.

You "techno Weenies" kill me. But I do like some of the features described . I'm not much farther advanced than the cane pole and bobber?
I went out ice fishing yesterday with a coworker who has all the gizmos and toys. He had 2 jigs out about 5 feet apart and set up an underwater camera. We watched a monster lake trout swim right between the jigs without any interest at all!!! Just cause you have all the toys doesn't make the fish bite :ROFLMAO: .

I have a theory that the less we are able to get out and fish, the more $$ we spend on the gizmos that allow us to think and dream about fishing....Same thing applies to hunting, skiing etc!!!.

I went out ice fishing yesterday with a coworker who has all the gizmos and toys. He had 2 jigs out about 5 feet apart and set up an underwater camera. We watched a monster lake trout swim right between the jigs without any interest at all!!! Just cause you have all the toys doesn't make the fish bite :ROFLMAO: .

I have a theory that the less we are able to get out and fish, the more $$ we spend on the gizmos that allow us to think and dream about fishing....Same thing applies to hunting, skiing etc!!!.
I spend my money on the trip's and don't worry about all the fancy stuff, I looked at all that stuff and it was more then I paid for my boat :)

On the Ulterra, especially, you must be very careful about line getting wrapped up in the motor. This can happen with other fishermen aboard and everyone is catching fish; it happened to me and I didn't realize it nor that it was affecting the deploy/stow function of the motor, not to mention the ability to stay spot locked. I decided to take the prop off and examine it and I was shocked at the amount of braid and fluoro that was on the motor, that you couldn't see at all without taking the prop off. It ran like a champ after that :)

I'm living proof that your theory is correct. 🥴

We put the Ultrex on my Champ and I think it helped to save our lives last May. High winds kicked up and we filled the boat with water then I turned with the wind and found a deep small cove. Spotlock held the boat in the exact position for over an hour while we changed clothes and waited for the wind to die down.

I use I pilot more than I do spot lock. If yours going to spend the money get the one with all the balls and whistles including a foot control for the day your remote quits or you forget it. JMO
Ditto on forgetting the remote for my Ulterra. We all have forgotten the remote, it made me purchase a 2nd one to keep on the boat and just cycle them by the day.

My remote batteries lase about 6-7 hrs of fishing. You don't want to have the batteries on the remote get real low, as that allows the TM do strange things, such as not stow. That only happens when the wind is blowing, and then the Shi* show begins.

That's the truth! When everything's working the world is great! But when things go bad and sometime they will, it happens fast and always seems like the worst time. I have had my I i-pilot go crazy before when the remote batteries get low. Had to pull the plug to shut it down. Wasn't sure what went wrong for a minute. In a shallow draft bass boat it could throw you out.

Ditto on forgetting the remote for my Ulterra. We all have forgotten the remote, it made me purchase a 2nd one to keep on the boat and just cycle them by the day.

My remote batteries lase about 6-7 hrs of fishing. You don't want to have the batteries on the remote get real low, as that allows the TM do strange things, such as not stow. That only happens when the wind is blowing, and then the Shi* show begins.
Interesting. I have had mine for 10 years, only changed the remote battery once....but it is not nearly as fancy as your iPilot😊
I have had to take the battery out and put it in my pocket to Warm it up on really cold days. Having a spare battery in your boat is probably a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back