Southern Lake October 31st - November 5th, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guido

This was my only fall trip this year due to the road collapse in early October, as I normally do 2 nine day trips at a minimum every year. It was actually scheduled for the 3rd through the 11th, but I had to make adjustments when I found out about the big flush.

Arrived in the wahweap campground on Tuesday and setup camp, got everything prepped for an early start on Wednesday. Went straight to the double islands (which are not islands anymore) in Warm Creek after reading Ed's report and managed 1 smallie, then went to check out the back of warm creek. Started trolling and managed 2 stripers for my efforts.

The next day I went to Dry Rock Creek in search of smallies and stripers, managed 1 smallie in dry rock and then headed to the back of Rock Creek to try trolling up some stripers, and picked up 2. Did find a nice size school there but they were not too willing. Stopped at Gregory Butte but got blanked there and the 2 gravel islands nearby.

Friday I went to Gunsight Bay and things really started to pick up, so I thought OK the front that came through Tuesday did have an impact on the fishing and it will get better. Ended the day with a dozen or so smallies and 2 stripers.

Saturday, was a late start as Sue was driving up from the valley to do some fishing with me, so I took her to Navajo Canyon as she really wanted to focus on smallmouth as we have primarily sought out stripers for 10 years or so. We fished all the rock piles on the way in and did very well, probably had near 30 fish before we reached the back of the canyon where we started trolling for stripers, had a few misses but got a nice one hooked up that was 4-5 pounds. And that is how we finished out the day.

Sunday I took her to Gunsight since i had already done well there and we killed the smallies, lost count actually, and we caught some nice quality fish as well. We trolled and picked up one striper and one very nice smallie.

Monday we went back to Gunsight (as we were saving Navajo for Tuesday our last day) and we caught a few then the bite shutdown. Even though the few we caught were nice size there just was no quantity. My assumption is the high flow event definitely had an impact on the bite, so we decided to head back home the following day and save the vacation day for golf next month. :)

Lures used: 4" single tail watermelon black flake grub on jig and same color shad shaped worm on drop shot for the smallmouth and blue and chrome rat-l-trap and firetiger deep thunderstick for the striper. These lures produce big time every year and have been my go to's.

IMG_20181104_123904968_HDR.jpgIMG_20181105_114712422_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
We have fished Lake Powell for more than 35 years. Agree with cfulton on the speed, but we have done well at many different speeds (a bit slower or faster). We have also found that the depth can be a more important factor then speed depending on the time of year. We have done better trolling a bit deeper in May/June verses when we go in September where we can troll at shallower depths.

What speed works best when trolling for strippers?
I have always used 2.7-2.9 when the water is cooler (spring and late fall) and 3.0-3.5 once the water warms up, i vary it until the fish let me know what speed I should be doing.

And as Chuck said above Mr. Impatient (Wayne :)) does near 4-4.5 miles per hour.

And I bought some planer boards and tried them but could not get them to work correctly so I gave up as I am pretty impatient myself.

Thanks for the info. I have only fished lake Powell a few times with little success with strippers. Would love to have a few techniques for my next trip down to lake Powell.

Have you ever used planner boards for more action on the lure?

My ultimate goal is to find an active school of stripers. I watch the graph intently while trolling looking for that school. If I catch a fish trolling that is great because sometimes the school follows that hooked fish as it comes to the boat and more fish can be caught by casting cranks or dropping spoons.

Trolling is not my end game. It is only a way to find the school of 100 to 1000 stripers. These fish are caught more efficiently by using spoons. Now is the season for some of the epic striper schools to cooperate in a manner that is beyond belief. We have caught as many as 90 fish on one drift with the school staying active under the boat for more than an hour.

I troll to find fish but spoon to catch fish.

Here are a few fish we got spooning on a trip to the San Juan a few years ago.

sjstbspoon.jpg

Wayne thanks so much for sharing with me. I will try this out. You guys have me ready to go fishing. Been chasing northern pike in southwest colorado to long. Hope to spend more time on Powell next spring.

There's a youtube on winter striper fishing on LP Don't have the link
but I saw it a few days ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back