South End Jun 8-13

Status
Not open for further replies.

cfulton

We just came back from a great trip in the lower lake. Spent 6 nights in Friendship in the very back. Note: that beach area will be totally underwater by the end of the month. We fished MM 25 with great success (using 'chovies) in the little bay just at the end of the white vertical cliffs. Unfortunately, many of those fish are skinny and without enough meat to filet. Trolling in the MM25 yielded a decent fish about every 15 minutes. Spent the first evening chasing slurps there with limited success..just 5. We were hampered by wind for three days and though we caught fish "spot lock" was difficult and used up lots of battery life. When the wind relaxed on the 13th the whole lower lake exploded with slurps. From Dove to Rock Creek they were everywhere sometimes 3 or 4 in sight at any one time Catching was harder than getting close to the slurps. We used small Kastmasters, small bucktail jigs (3/8oz) and small poppers all with some success but not like it should/could have been. One thing I should have tried was small white streamer flies tied 6-8" behind a kastmaster or bucktail so it would cast a long way. I think the streamer would more accurately replicate what they were eating. I did this once before and it worked well...wish I'd have had more time this trip.
Chuck Fulton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back