SLURPS and fishing report 6/10 - 6/13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mildog

Just a quick report fished Sunday though Tuesday this week. SMB fishing was excellent, we also caught a very few walleye and LMB. Tubes, curl tails , crank baits and some morning top-water all worked well in mostly crawfish colors except the top-water lures. The fish were from the surface to 20 feet. Fished in the shade mornings and evening chilled during the heat of the day. Fished canyons and main channel from Cedar to mouth of GHB.

Got into SLURPS Monday and Tuesday evenings from about 6 PM until near dark in the main channel from about 7 mile canyon to the floating restrooms. Lots of fun chasing them. The shad are only about an inch long. so difficult to cast something that small far enough to get in front of the fast moving schools. A 3/8 or 1/2 Kastmaster and small shad fly behind a water bubble worked great. I also tied 18 inches of leader behind a Kastmaster with a small fry looking lure I have, It worked very well, several casts I got them on the trailer not the Kastmaster. It worked great until I doubled and broke off the trailer and decided that was enough and the Kastmaster was working great. Fish were up and down quickly so it helped to have a designated driver to hunt the slurps for a more efficient hook up ratio. We would get one or two or occasionally 3 out of each slurp when we did everything right. Lots of fun and we were all by ourselves. Great fun!!! We did not have luck finding slurps in the mornings at all My buddy that I joined for this trip who had been down for 4 days fishing prior to my arrival did not get into any slurps in the same area mornings or evening so it seems I lucked out on the timing and it should continue and get even better as the shad grow larger.
Now all that changed Wednesday morning!!
WHEN WE DROVE THE HOUSEBOAT IN WED. MORNING WE SAW SLURPS REGULARLY FROM THE MOUTH OF CEDAR CANYON TO THE HALLS BUOY FIELD !! EVERYWHERE from 7AM until 10 AM We couldn't stop and fish as we had to get home. Several of the slurps stayed up for a long time it was driving us crazy to watch. Did not see one boat fishing them all the way in !!!
Good Luck
Mildog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back