Slip Moorage & selling shares

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firegurue

Question for everyone,

Received an email from a Captain Brady Stating the following:

We wish to bring to your attention that ‘XXXXXX’ has a listing outside of the NPS approved concessionaires in violation of Federal Regulation CFR36 and in violation of your moorage agreement.
As it is ‘XXXXXX’ current moorage would not be transferable if a sale were to take place.
Continued Violation of the moorage agreement (paragraph 14.) would mean the loss of current moorage.
To Discuss Listing your Vessel and the different options available please contact LPRM Boat Brokerage.
[email protected] or (928)645-1039
We look forward to working with you and believe you will find the current Boat Brokerage Services on Lake Powell more than satisfactory

Has anybody heard of this crap, I see boats listed everyday for Powell that are on Bouys, slips etc. on Craigslist, KSL, Boat Trader etc. Just trying to find out as I don't have the agreement in front of me to reference. Typical Aramark crap! Thanks

My understanding is he is correct. If you read the contract closely it spells out everything you are required to do and not do but very little of what Aramark will do. Somewhat lopsided against owners. Without consumer representation or competition among venders, owners are losing.

My 2 cents:

"Yes, for those moored on the lake it is a catch 22. They are forced to sell using Brady Carothers and the "Boat Brokerage". Sure they do advertise on "Boat Trader" and other forums but Brady does not return inquiries, email or phone calls so buyers can not get info or even schedule a walk through.
I have purchased 3 houseboats for use on the Lake Powell since the 1996. Bought the first in a slip @ Wahweap before the boat brokerage came into being. You could put a "for sale" ad in the notebook at the marina office for free. Tried buying the last 2 houseboats thru the "brokerage" but had to give up after months with no response. Had cash in hand !! Bought both vessels out of the NP

My personal experience bears out what is common knowledge around the marinas:

To sell your boat move it to storage out of the NP and advertise on "Boat Trader", "Craigslist"etc. There are lots of buyers waiting who get no response from Brady.
For Buyers be patient and watch those same forums for one out of the park.

Just reporting from my own experience , maybe others have had better luck with the "Brokerage".

Several years ago, +/-2012ish, at Wahweap, after ARAMARK started the requirement for using their brokerage if selling your boat in a slip or buoy in their marina, they had several options a seller could choose, from full-service brokerage ($$$$) to slip transfer only ($). All options required listing the boat with the brokerage, but essentially, if you ended up selling the boat yourself through your own efforts or to a friend or family member, the price of such service was much less. I do not know if they still offer such options.

So, to answer your question, yes, what you described is what I recall is stated in the slip rental agreement - I hope for your sake they still offer a less expensive option if you prefer to do all of the legwork to sell the boat yourself.

p.s. - if I recall, the brokerage fee in +/-2012 was 5% for full service and 1 or 2% DIY - don't quote me to these numbers, but this is what I remember - not that it's relevant now.

Last edited:
I appreciate the responses, and you are all correct. We did some research and looking at the contract and they are correct in the fine print lol, that you do have to list the boat with the brokerage, but you can also list it wherever you want as long as they know about it and they get their share. If it the boat sells, you have to pay the $300 transfer fee plus the 1% fee of the total price, unless the brokerage handles the entire deal then they get 3% of the total price for their work. I do agree and know from our history of trying to sell the boat through the brokerage, that it will sit on their site with little to no movement. Frustrating, but it's their rules and until we get more competition the lake for services, they are here to stay.

My 2 cents:

"Yes, for those moored on the lake it is a catch 22. They are forced to sell using Brady Carothers and the "Boat Brokerage". Sure they do advertise on "Boat Trader" and other forums but Brady does not return inquiries, email or phone calls so buyers can not get info or even schedule a walk through.
I have purchased 3 houseboats for use on the Lake Powell since the 1996. Bought the first in a slip @ Wahweap before the boat brokerage came into being. You could put a "for sale" ad in the notebook at the marina office for free. Tried buying the last 2 houseboats thru the "brokerage" but had to give up after months with no response. Had cash in hand !! Bought both vessels out of the NP

My personal experience bears out what is common knowledge around the marinas:

To sell your boat move it to storage out of the NP and advertise on "Boat Trader", "Craigslist"etc. There are lots of buyers waiting who get no response from Brady.
For Buyers be patient and watch those same forums for one out of the park.

Just reporting from my own experience , maybe others have had better luck with the "Brokerage".
Sol Mate, did you have any recommendations as to where would be a good place out of the NP to place a 60 foot houseboat?
I also have had no luck with the brokerage.

I appreciate the responses, and you are all correct. We did some research and looking at the contract and they are correct in the fine print lol, that you do have to list the boat with the brokerage, but you can also list it wherever you want as long as they know about it and they get their share. If it the boat sells, you have to pay the $300 transfer fee plus the 1% fee of the total price, unless the brokerage handles the entire deal then they get 3% of the total price for their work. I do agree and know from our history of trying to sell the boat through the brokerage, that it will sit on their site with little to no movement. Frustrating, but it's their rules and until we get more competition the lake for services, they are here to stay.
Curious how your experience has been so far with using the brokerage.
Do you find he emails you back in a reasonable time?
Does he advise when the boat has been shown to a prospective buyer?
Really thinking of just pulling our boat out as we get little if any response.

Thanks

Curious how your experience has been so far with using the brokerage.
Do you find he emails you back in a reasonable time?
Does he advise when the boat has been shown to a prospective buyer?
Really thinking of just pulling our boat out as we get little if any response.

Thanks
The service we receive is basically nothing. Aramark wants their money and that's about the end of the service you will receive. We have always sold our shares outside of Aramark as when the customer calls them to see the boat they rarely receive a response back and we are never notified if they show the boat. My recommendation is list it with them to meet the requirement, but pursue selling it through your own avenues. It is a monopoly for sure and everyone suffers from this.

I have bought and sold several houseboats, over the last 10-12 years and got the same "warnings", about buying or selling without the Aramark "services". I like Brady personally, but was TOTALLY disappointed with the service and skirted even the 300.00 fee, by getting out of the Rec. Area...

As I understand it, most shared ownership boats are typically LLC's. The LLC would be listed as the owner. The moorage agreement would also be in the name of the LLC. Members/owners of the LLC come and go but the LLC is still the listed responsible party. Can a member/owner of the LLC sell his "share" even if that is the only share and have the entity(LLC) still listed. This would appear to show Aramark the same "owner" and no sale. Just curious.

We have sold shares and transferred shares in our LLC. Don’t know if the LLC is transferable under the same name, but I think it would be.

As I understand it, most shared ownership boats are typically LLC's. The LLC would be listed as the owner. The moorage agreement would also be in the name of the LLC. Members/owners of the LLC come and go but the LLC is still the listed responsible party. Can a member/owner of the LLC sell his "share" even if that is the only share and have the entity(LLC) still listed. This would appear to show Aramark the same "owner" and no sale. Just curious.
I think this is the only way to legally avoid the issues with the brokerage. The owner (the LLC) does not change, the shareholders in the LLC do change.

What you do then is pay to have the boat retrieved and blocked at any of the storage facilities outside the park and then sell it. Sure, this means that if someone wants to see the boat on the lake it means a launch and retrieve but at least you wouldn't be in breach of contract.

If it's not being stored in the park, it doesn't fall into the moorage contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back