Silly question ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon R

Hello everyone. I just got back from LP and have a question. I think I know the answer, but, if you do, I'd like to see if I am right. The question is: why is the buoy field at Halls Crossing deserted? T

My guess is because of the fiasco they had the other day. A picture was posted of several houseboats tangled together and someone said the buoy field came loose from their anchors. They probably moved them all over to BF temporarily to fix the anchoring.

I'm sure we'll hear other responses and more details.

Even before the fiasco, the north field looked deserted. It was rumored that they are moving all or some of the field to Wahweap. Something Halls denied when I called. In the early spring I attributed to more boats being pulled due to mussels. Not sure now? I do know a number of boats that were in the north field moved to the south- it clearly consolidated.

We are on a buoy in the north field and have heard nothing about needing to move

With all the customers I see from the North end of the lake, I have not heard anyone say (complain) that they are being forced to move to another buoy field.

I have seen a rise in people who want out of their houseboats. I have a few here that people have just walked away from. It is sad but true.

But what I have heard most of is people saying take your houseboat to down lake. Better services, better rates because of competition, and easier access to goods needed. I don't do the houseboat/on water repairs but people have said I should because an honest shop needs to provide some competition. Not my words, just what I'm hearing.

It may be a combination of a lot of things. I know I had a friend pass who owned a houseboat down here and the kids don't want the boat anymore. The boat is still down here but it is up for sale. Have seen many houseboats sell and go to NM, and one even went to Michigan.

Is North lake really loosing that much attraction to empty a buoy field? I hope not.

I don't know that they are losing boats. Halls told me in 2018 and again last week "we are full". Though Wahweap said "they have cleared out everything they need to, and no further work til this winter" Whatever that means.

I think for a lot of the smaller ownership group of boats, that they pulled the boat for the winter, and may not have re-launched. Services North are a challenge as there are so few resources. Ticaboo Dan has done all our on lake work, and we are thrilled he continues to provide services. But some of the more complicated work, even if Ticaboo/OffShore could pull the boat they don't seem to have the skill set. (I will caveat that and say, the last time they told me they didn't provide the services we needed was 2016). Even with that, I will stay north, less traffic.

I have boats in storage that haven't seen the water yet this year so that is a very good possibility also. With the long, cold spring we had, we expected a much later inflow of boaters but here it is, the middle of August and it still hasn't seemed to recover to full boating season yet.

Ticaboo Dan does a great job at what he does. I thought about talking to him about joining the on water repair part of the lake, but I am just too busy the way it is and wouldn't want to step on his toes anyways. We have a good relationship and I like to keep it that way.

We don't do the houseboat thing anyways so no buoy for us. We have our pontoon and we set it up for our camping style and since we live in Hanksville, we will always stay on the North end. :)

Happy boating

Stopped into the Halls office yesterday and was told that they ARE closing the north field and moving it to Wahweap

I was there last week and observed about 6 boats on the north field. I wonder where they all went?

Simply an observation, but many (not all) of the boats left in the buoy fields seem to be pretty aged, many do not look very well maintained. Just a guess, but at current rates, I’d bet that just a couple years of rent in the field would likely amount to more than the boat is worth.

I’d also guess that with the apparent need to retrieve and clean a houseboat annually due to the quagga, many boats will live our their remaining days stored off the water.

It is sad to see.

Thanks for all of the comments. It seems like there is no single explanation! My guess was the quagga infestation impacted those that kept their boats in the lake, including the slips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back