Silly Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squirrel

Keeper of San Juan Secrets
The full moon rises on the 17th this month at 4:30 in the morning. Will that still affect the fishin’ around those days? I don’t think it will diminish my overall fishin’ results as they are meager at best. Is it gravity or the (night) light that makes fishin’ difficult. Yes, I’ll be there all next week, that’s why I ask. Sq

I have found that the new moon phase offers the best day time fishing, and the longest mid day bite.where as the full phase offers the best night time bite. That's with stable weather. Good luck with I could get up to prove my theory. Save some shad ;)

The full moon rises on the 17th this month at 4:30 in the morning. Will that still affect the fishin’ around those days? I don’t think it will diminish my overall fishin’ results as they are meager at best. Is it gravity or the (night) light that makes fishin’ difficult. Yes, I’ll be there all next week, that’s why I ask. Sq

I'll be on the southern next week and was wondering as well. Moon, barometric pressure and lake rising could make it tough. But fish gotta eat!

Haven’t proven this to be accurate but my fish forecast app says from 2 & 3 on the 18th is supposed to be really good. Don’t know how they predict it but I know back in the eighties I used a paper version and I swore by it then. Sure wish I was down there testing the app next week. Good luck and check your watch on the 18th!

I fished Full Moon during period from May 15th till May 22nd and just from past fishing trips in that period without full moon I think it slows the daytime fishing down. Hard to quantify because this trip also was cooler with unsettled weather, wind and rain. Almanac said fishing would be good but I would rate it below average. We fished buoy 25, Padre,Last Chance and Face. Face was surprisingly productive compared to the other locations. I think I would rather avoid full moon fishing unless fishing a t night.

My family and I will be on the southern end 17, 18 and 19. We got a new submersible light. Let you know how it goes...
We were there 3,4,5 and 6 of June. 61 fish, mixed bag. Excellent weather, perhaps the best we have ever encountered!

Full moon can definitely have an impact of fishing success. All things being equal it is better to fish on a dark moon than a full moon. However, full moon can be overshadowed by other events that are more important such as, high winds (bad), warming water temperatures for spawning fish (good), increasing numbers of forage fish (best) and other variables. Under a full moon there will still be a window when fish are active.

Drop the trolling motor and start casting any chance you get, don't worry about the moon

Amen! I've had some tough fishing on a full moon, that's for sure, but I've also had excellent fishing - all day excellent fishing. I agree with Wayne that other factors often override the full moon when it comes to fish activity. I'm not going to let the moon phase determine when I'm going fishing. I'm going to go when I get the chance regardless of moon. I might cancel a trip due to forecast hurricane force winds or something like that, but not on the moon phase! :)

Ed Gerdemann

My family and I will be on the southern end 17, 18 and 19. We got a new submersible light. Let you know how it goes...
We were there 3,4,5 and 6 of June. 61 fish, mixed bag. Excellent weather, perhaps the best we have ever encountered!
Fishing was slow, unexpected monsoon kept us busy on Monday the 17th. A little rain Tuesday and a house boat raising Cain all night...
A good trip anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back