shore fishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurt Douglas

Can anyone suggest somplace that would be good for shore fishing? I need something to get out of the house. I know Stanton Creek is closed to camping but would it be open for days use to fish from the shore?
Thanks, Stay Healthy

Stanton is blocked off to vehicle traffic. That would be a long walk. Maybe the old ferry ramp, by the school, if that’s not blocked to traffic. Sq

Can anyone suggest somplace that would be good for shore fishing? I need something to get out of the house. I know Stanton Creek is closed to camping but would it be open for days use to fish from the shore?
Thanks, Stay Healthy
I know Dome Rock in Bullfrog Bay is a good fishing spot. I have no idea if you walk to it but that may be a place to try if you are near Bullfrog. Also some of coves near the marina and the old store are good for bass.

I know Dome Rock in Bullfrog Bay is a good fishing spot. I have no idea if you walk to it but that may be a place to try if you are near Bullfrog. Also some of coves near the marina and the old store are good for bass.
What I hope is that someone is actively working with whoever is in charge to get this silly ruling repealed.
if there are no first responders to help at the lake, so be it.
if people are ok being six feet apart at the store, I’m sure the anglers would be willing to stay sixty yards apart at the ramp if it meant we could go fishing

Now I have heard that Utah is going to be stopping vehilces coming into the state and have them fill our a questionaire before you can enter. Things are getting pretty crazy, IMHO.

They are already doing that in Texas...you have to show that you have a private space to quarantine or they turn you around.

Meanwhile, Wyoming has a mandatory 14 day quarantine period, but the parking areas for the Platte River accesses are full of Colorado vehicles. There is a lot of talk about personal responsibility, but if people would have shown they were capable of it, all these restrictions would not be necessary!!!

They are not stopping vehicles---they are "requiring" out of state travelers to respond to a questioner on line about their activities about the virus

Good question and I find myself frequently asking “ do I really need to go ten miles to my favorite spot to find fish?” Or 20, or 30 lol. So many times I try a new place because I want to get out of the wind, or there is no wind in the main channel and decide to try a spot there I never have fished, and wow it turns out to be a winner. I stopped outside of two mile (or was it four mile...no trachyte lol) a number of years ago when I saw a small boil. My sonar showed me some interesting bottom I never would have thought was there and it has become my go to place for big bass. Kinda fun pulling out 4+ pound bass while tournament boats are flying by you at 50 to get to “better spot”. That is what first got me thinking about this. Maybe stripers are an exception but if you are looking for green bass my thoughts are they are almost everywhere and how you fish vs where you fish is more important. I believe the dungeefishing guys have made this an art check out Preston’s posts. I paddle boarded around Stanton a few years ago and checked out every finger. There were tons of bass everywhere. For now, access is the key. Where can you get to. There are plenty of ways to get down to the lake as I see cars in places that really surprise me. Sorry I don’t know them specifically because I am lazy and go by boat lol. Google earth is your friend. Good luck, have fun, post pics.

TR

Yes, there are surprises all over the place. My example is Face Canyon. The wind was blowing to hard to leave Face so we fished where we were, basically a flat bottom of rock but with some small pock marks that I would never have guessed held fish....but it did and what a valuable lesson learned.

Good question and I find myself frequently asking “ do I really need to go ten miles to my favorite spot to find fish?” Or 20, or 30 lol. So many times I try a new place because I want to get out of the wind, or there is no wind in the main channel and decide to try a spot there I never have fished, and wow it turns out to be a winner. I stopped outside of two mile (or was it four mile...no trachyte lol) a number of years ago when I saw a small boil. My sonar showed me some interesting bottom I never would have thought was there and it has become my go to place for big bass. Kinda fun pulling out 4+ pound bass while tournament boats are flying by you at 50 to get to “better spot”. That is what first got me thinking about this. Maybe stripers are an exception but if you are looking for green bass my thoughts are they are almost everywhere and how you fish vs where you fish is more important. I believe the dungeefishing guys have made this an art check out Preston’s posts. I paddle boarded around Stanton a few years ago and checked out every finger. There were tons of bass everywhere. For now, access is the key. Where can you get to. There are plenty of ways to get down to the lake as I see cars in places that really surprise me. Sorry I don’t know them specifically because I am lazy and go by boat lol. Google earth is your friend. Good luck, have fun, post pics.

TR
Good morning! You mentioned paddle boarding. Do you know if SUP's or fishing kayaks are being allowed on the lake? Thanks!

Good morning! You mentioned paddle boarding. Do you know if SUP's or fishing kayaks are being allowed on the lake? Thanks!
It is my understanding that a fishing kayak is allowed, but launch ramps are closed. So you would have to drive into an isolated area (in AZ unless you are a resident of San Juan or Kane County in UT) and haul your kayak down to the water. Avoid other people and then haul your kayak back out. You may want to contact the Park service to be sure (928 608 6200).

They are already doing that in Texas...you have to show that you have a private space to quarantine or they turn you around.

Meanwhile, Wyoming has a mandatory 14 day quarantine period, but the parking areas for the Platte River accesses are full of Colorado vehicles. There is a lot of talk about personal responsibility, but if people would have shown they were capable of it, all these restrictions would not be necessary!!!
Agree!!

Last edited by a moderator:
It is my understanding that a fishing kayak is allowed, but launch ramps are closed. So you would have to drive into an isolated area (in AZ unless you are a resident of San Juan or Kane County in UT) and haul your kayak down to the water. Avoid other people and then haul your kayak back out. You may want to contact the Park service to be sure (928 608 6200).
Thanks! I guess for now its just going to be an itch I cant scratch:(

So unless we are a San Juan co. resident, we can't go to Bullfrog?
Thanks

So unless we are a San Juan co. resident, we can't go to Bullfrog?
Thanks
The San Juan and Kane County Ordinances are worded slightly differently. The Kane County Ordinance(Bullfrog side of Lake) says Kane County residents or owners of real property(ie land or houseboat) may use any public lands in Kane County. The San Juan County Ordinance(Halls Crossing, White Canyon, Farley Canyon side of Lake) says only San Juan County residents may use public lands within the county. Small difference, but huge for me as my family owns property in San Juan county but reside in Colorado.

They clearly arnt I forcing it someone told me they talk to some people camping back of warm creek and they were from northern Utah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back