Shore Fishing available?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaredberg

I know the ramps are closed and even not allowed on the water outside the marina.

But I haven’t seen anything on being able to go and shoreline fish or even camp.

I have read quite a bit. Has anyone heard otherwise?

No camping anyplace. I asked about shore fishing also, only got one response. I would like to think there was someplace to fish from shore around the lake. I know we cant be on the east side of the lake either.

I called the park office number and spoke to someone just now. She confirmed that I could drive up to the lake at Bullfrog, park, walk the shore line, access the water and fish. I asked her if I could hand launch a float tube or canoe. She confirmed that I could as long as it didn't have a motor. I asked her if I could sleep in the bed of my truck in the parking lot. She said no. She reminded me that there are no bathrooms or garbage dumpsters available for use.

I also called today. Didn’t ask about the truck or launching a non motor float tube.
Yes you can access shore fishing from shore. If you have a houseboat on a dock you can stay their. (They have bathrooms)

looks like I may make a day trip this weekend to test shore fishing!

Reading the Kane County and San Juan County restrictions, there is one glaring difference. A resident or property owner in Kane County can still access any and all public lands, but in San Juan County you must be a "resident". My family owns property in San Juan County, but we reside in Colorado, and we hold no property in Kane County. Looks like my loophole(property ownership) has been closed. Obviously, both counties would prefer we all just stay home.

Suggestion? Perhaps you could walk the shoreline in ARIZONA. Kane County closed recreation to all but Kane county residents. San Juan about the same. It is possible to catch some fish between Wahewap Marina and the dam. Not sure if that is worth driving 100 miles or more. Discussion is still going on between UT and AZ on closures. I will let you know when I learn more.

I do not believe those orders are legal nor would they have a right to ask for identification unless they could site a law that was broken. I am trying to just remain home and help out with things the best that I can and try not to cause any problems. I think we should all do the same to an extent. I would not go looking for trouble, but I also would not allow myself to be harassed. If marshal law was declared there would be totally different circumstances and they would then have legal power to do all of that. Like I said I agree with the idea of self isolation and being a good citizen but the legal issues they would raise trying to remove somebody or even require identification is a mess. If this becomes an issue on the site please just remove it.

I do not believe those orders are legal nor would they have a right to ask for identification unless they could site a law that was broken. I am trying to just remain home and help out with things the best that I can and try not to cause any problems. I think we should all do the same to an extent. I would not go looking for trouble, but I also would not allow myself to be harassed. If marshal law was declared there would be totally different circumstances and they would then have legal power to do all of that. Like I said I agree with the idea of self isolation and being a good citizen but the legal issues they would raise trying to remove somebody or even require identification is a mess. If this becomes an issue on the site please just remove it.
Some places in this country may not be that far from marshal law, NY has had a huge increase in crime and many of their coppers have tested positive. I sure hope it doesn't get to that.

Suggestion? Perhaps you could walk the shoreline in ARIZONA. Kane County closed recreation to all but Kane county residents. San Juan about the same. It is possible to catch some fish between Wahewap Marina and the dam. Not sure if that is worth driving 100 miles or more. Discussion is still going on between UT and AZ on closures. I will let you know when I learn more.

I don't believe Kane County's order is constitutional. Why can only Kane County residents walk the shores of Lake Powell and people from other places can not? The lake and the NRA do not belong to Kane County, Coconino County or any other county. They belong to the citizens of the United States of America. Someone with too much time and money on their hands ought to challenge them in Federal court. My guess is Kane County would lose. They might be able to close shoreline access, but it would be for all and county residents would not be excepted. :(

Ed Gerdemann

I wrote Governor Ducey and asked him to push back and open all Arizona ramps. I can see no camping but what the heck harm is if for people to launch a boat and disappear out on a 188 mile long lake? I am 70 and we are fine taking our chances. It should be our decision IMO.

Done as well. Neither he nor Utah’s Governor believe in this BS or they’d have closed more business sooner. I’d respect them a little more if I thought they did believe it. Instead we’ve got them giving into the fear mongers one little step at a time.

I’m wondering if fishing off the back of the houseboat in the slip, and maybe taking a nap now and then, would constitute “camping” in Kane Cty. I am after all the “property owner”.

I don't believe Kane County's order is constitutional. Why can only Kane County residents walk the shores of Lake Powell and people from other places can not? The lake and the NRA do not belong to Kane County, Coconino County or any other county. They belong to the citizens of the United States of America. Someone with too much time and money on their hands ought to challenge them in Federal court. My guess is Kane County would lose. They might be able to close shoreline access, but it would be for all and county residents would not be excepted. :(

Ed Gerdemann
It’s called concurrent jurisdictions between the state and feds. That’s why state law applies to fishing and such. Vrs Yellowstone has non-concurrent jurisdiction. In Yellowstone you have to purchased their permit to fish.

It’s called concurrent jurisdictions between the state and feds. That’s why state law applies to fishing and such. Vrs Yellowstone has non-concurrent jurisdiction. In Yellowstone you have to purchased their permit to fish.

I still don't believe Kane County can legally limit shore fishing at Lake Powell to just Kane County residents as Lake Powell is a public water, not just Kane County's water. I believe it either has to be open to everyone or closed to everyone. :(

Ed Gerdemann

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back