Sharrow Props

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutter99

Another Mid Winter topic to help pass the cold dark days...
Anyone have any knowledge of these new props? Crazy looking but they have some solid numbers (their numbers) to go with them.
I started thinking I wanted one until I found out they cost more than my first boat- an 87 4winns I bought in 90!

I followed a discussion about these on the iboats forum. Nobody has tried one.
I would love a chance to go boating. Fuel cost is pretty low on my list.

I realize the production costs of this design are expensive. The performance data seems impressive. However, the real difference is between the second prop tested vs the Sharrow. I am pretty sure that the 2nd prop in the test is no where close in dollar amount to the Sharrow. The difference between those 2 props does not make me want to purchase the vastly more expensive sexy prop. I would also be interested in the test that may not have been run, the Sharrow vs. a duo prop set-up. I switched from a VP SX outdrive to a Duo prop set up for less than the $4500 tag of the aluminum Sharrow. I ended up with a great used outdrive and stainless props for $3500. IMO this prop is not worth the price of admission. It would take an eternity to recoup the investment in the prop from fuel savings.

Ouch! $4500 for an aluminum prop? Good thing no one ever hits bottom at Lake Powell. :P

I already have people come in for stolen trailer lights while at the lake. I don't see me having one of these in stock anytime soon. :(

They say the pitch doesn't need to change from your current configuration. I'm no engineer, but I see less contact surface than a regular prop. Must be in the angles.

Interesting design though, but still more than what I paid for my boat. I'll have to pass. If I see one come thru this summer, I'll ask about it and share the details. ;)

My props are 150 bucks. I can buy a lot of props for the difference in price, and fuel etc. But they are mighty sexy looking. Too bad they spend their life under water where they can't be seen. Maybe mount one on the bow as a decoration and brag about how much it cost?
I'll know I've made it when I can afford the buy one of these as a bow ornament!
;)

My random thoughts:

1. These look cool.

2. I don't know who can drop $4,500 or $9,000 on a prop, but its not me. But I am not even a little jealous of someone who can plunk down that kind of money for a prop. I am grateful for the early-adopting big spenders. If enough of them buy, Sharrow can cover their R&D cost and sell to the rest of us at a price that makes sense to the unwashed masses.

3. There look to be some significant fuel savings -- like 20% to better than 100%. My only jealousy is with anyone who is boating enough to come out ahead with a $9,000 prop by cutting their fuel bill in half. THAT is something to be jealous of!

My random thoughts:

1. These look cool.

2. I don't know who can drop $4,500 or $9,000 on a prop, but its not me. But I am not even a little jealous of someone who can plunk down that kind of money for a prop. I am grateful for the early-adopting big spenders. If enough of them buy, Sharrow can cover their R&D cost and sell to the rest of us at a price that makes sense to the unwashed masses.

3. There look to be some significant fuel savings -- like 20% to better than 100%. My only jealousy is with anyone who is boating enough to come out ahead with a $9,000 prop by cutting their fuel bill in half. THAT is something to be jealous of!

That, and the cool scallops it would cut in a barely submerged whale!! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back