Sharon Hunt - Rock Creek to Balanced Rock - June 8, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
Hello Wayne: We just returned from Spectacular Lake Powell. We spent a week on the lake from May 30th to June 7th and as always the fishing
was awesome. We camped around Dangling Rope and fished from Rock Bay up to Balance Rock. Our big success were the 60 walleye we caught
all ranging in size from 14'' to 24''. We also caught 20 stripers the bigger they were the skinnier, the smaller ones were fat and healthy. As usual
too many SMB to keep track of the number caught. I landed the 3lb. LMB in Rock Bay at noon on Monday that was a blast. We fished all the inlets,
coves, and backs of canyons anywhere we found structure or underwater ledges from 5 to 30 ft. depth.

We used Yamamotto 5'' grubs single + double tail in Chartreuse, pumpkin, grn pumpkin, grn watermelon with 1/4 or 1/2 ounce jig heads. I think they would bite any color if we had tried more. The weather was wonderful warm days and mild nights another great trip for our memory book! Thanks again for the website!

Attachments

• shuntlmb18.jpg
    shuntlmb18.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 130
  • shuntstb18.jpg
    shuntstb18.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 134
  • shuntwae18.jpg
    shuntwae18.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 134
  • huntmrlmb18.jpg
    huntmrlmb18.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 132
  • huntmrwae.jpg
    huntmrwae.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 129
What is your secret on catching walleye? Please share in detail Time, depth, lures, location, structure. I just got back from lake Powell with no success on walleyes.

I caught a couple today while trolling shallow water looking for bass and stripers. The walleye hit at a bottom depth of 10-15 feet where there was stain in the water making it cloudy. Stripers, smallmoth and walleye were all sharing that same area. I was pulling a Lucky Craft LV in chartreuse shad color and moving at 3.5 to 4 mph. I seem to catch walleye often when trolling fast. They may be more susceptible to lures moving slowly but I don't have the patience to do that. When you catch one make sure to turn around and troll back over the same spot or use a bass jig with a worm and pull it slowly along the bottom.

Sorry I have been on vacation. I think the answer to the walleye success is mainly slow-----presentation. Like Wayne said cloudy or stained water
is also important and stay on the bottom bumping up and dropping back down. They many times only give you one hit and then they are gone
so using night-crawler on the hook will improve your chances. Also we only use Yamamoto soft grubs, we have tried others and we have not had
the same results. We believe they are more natural to the fish, they are a little more expensive but who cares if they catch fish! Hope this helps
your fishing success!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back