Shad Rallies

Status
Not open for further replies.

PowellCapt

I have been away from the forum for some time. Wondering if/when the Shad Rallies ended. Unfortunately I never had the good fortune to attend but always enjoyed reading about them in all of the posts they generated.

The last shad rally was held at Lone Rock in 2014. Gena and I drove down from Cortez to attend. We met alot of wordlings. Including Wayne, Pappa Jake, Squirrel, TR, Mondo weeds, and Curly and Chuck. Pappa Jake God rest his soul handed out his famous pretzels . Was the mormorial for John Rimrock Fraser,Petester and ErnieStrum. Was a great time ,would totally enjoy another one

All’s it takes is someone to step up and take charge. Those of us that used to do it all just burned out.
Needs quite a bit of planning, input and time.
You also have to get a permit.
Help and coordinating it all is a must to be successful.
We used to have over 100 attendees some years.

RBF: Wayne encouraged the shad rallies to get fishermen together to talk (think BS here), camp, fish and generally enjoy an ETF(excuse to fish). The South end usually had one in the spring at Lone Rock or the Wahweap campground and the North usually had theirs at Stanton in the fall. Many camped in houseboats, trailers, motorhomes and tents. Depending on one's schedule, participants usually came and went as they needed but each end culminated with a big fish fry. At the South end we included a group of Wounded Warriors a couple of times. There were camp fires, raffles, big fish contests, stories told and friendships made and renewed. Wayne attended most and gave a lake update and advise on fishing. Each end of the lake had their traditions like the Big Johnson (north). I'll let others tell of the details on these. As was said above, it requires some leadership, organization and contingency planning...otherwise you'd have three grills and no charcoal, etc. Chuck

For those of us that are somewhat new to the board, please explain the shad rally.

Long ago, Wordlings would meet at Wahweap and once at Bullfrog during the spring or early summer when the weather was nice. We would gather as a group at the Wahweap Picnic area, Lone Rock, Stanton Creek and get acquainted, share stories, and share a meal. Seems we often had a Pot Luck lunch. I usually got the NPS permit to have a gathering. Since its been awhile that will take some review with NPS.

At one rally we got a rugged 4-wheeler for Pete Klocki who was not able to get around well anymore. Chuck Fulton - Please chime in here with more details. He just posted a picture of Pete in his new chair.

I gave fish reports and then we went out fishing. On one trip a group of us headed uplake and got into a striper boil in Gunsight. Then we went to Cookie Jar in Padre and caught a bunch of stripers on bait.

Picture taken at Shad Rally - 2008

DSC_2855 2.jpg

The shad rally can be held at anytime or place. We just have to decide when, where and who is in charge. I will help.

DSC_2808.jpg
Bring back any memories? Richard and Michelle Gonzalez in the Nitro boat.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back