Several deaths this month

Status
Not open for further replies.

BartsPlace

Staff member

Sad.

Sad.

The very odd thing in the first article is the Park Service claims they found the guys body in 20-30 feet of water entangled in wires and cables... then it states their diving team found the guy in 249 feet of water the next day. Something's a bit fishy about that.

I swear, not two weeks ago, I was thinking "I haven't heard of any fatal accidents at Lake Powell this summer". I even searched online as I thought there must have been some accidents that I had not heard of, but I didn't find anything (this was all brought on by a friend who was staying mid-lake a couple of weeks ago for a week and heard two desperate radio calls, one reporting two missing swimmers who had not come up and one reporting "shots fired" - he was asking if I'd heard anything about these incidents in the news).

I don't know if there have been other fatals this year, but to have 3 in 8 days in the same general area sure is strange - 2 on Wahweap swim beach, and one in the Wahweap slips from what I understand. If these have been the only fatalities on the lake this year, even stranger.

Very sad. I
The very odd thing in the first article is the Park Service claims they found the guys body in 20-30 feet of water entangled in wires and cables... then it states their diving team found the guy in 249 feet of water the next day. Something's a bit fishy about that.
In that context it does but to me it sounds like they located his body that night but waited due to safety concerns. My guess is he was electrocuted and that they suspected that so they decided to wait for the power to the marina to be shutdown. By the next day the victim drifted off the cables and sunk down thus causing the discrepancy in the depth.

That is my guess based on the very little information in the article. It will be interesting to see if they update us on the findings.

I did receive a text from the marina yesterday morning.

WAHWEAP

Wahweap Marina,
The power will be shut off to F-docks for approximately 1 hour

Thanks,

Rply UNSUB WAHWEAP to opt out

I think the body was still submerged 20 or 30 feet down the next morning but the actual depth of the F Dock was 249 feet below him. The article was definitely confusing how it was written and that is just my guess, I have no inside information

Most drowning deaths from people swimming in freshwater marinas are from'Electric Shock Drowning'

If people fully understood how little electricity is required to incapacitate a swimmer and what little potential rescuers can do before it's too late, I think they would immediately stop swimming in freshwater marinas. I have a report about Wahweap from 2014 that shows just how many problems there were at the time. The latest safety stuff does squat if it is broken or incorrectly installed.

FWIW
Goblin

Most drowning deaths from people swimming in freshwater marinas are from'Electric Shock Drowning'

If people fully understood how little electricity is required to incapacitate a swimmer and what little potential rescuers can do before it's too late, I think they would immediately stop swimming in freshwater marinas. I have a report about Wahweap from 2014 that shows just how many problems there were at the time. The latest safety stuff does squat if it is broken or incorrectly installed.

FWIW
Goblin
From OSHA:

Effects of electrical shock range from mild tingling to severe burns, cardiac arrest, and death.

Small amounts of alternating current in the water can be extremely dangerous. Just 100 mA (milliamps)—less than 1/3 the amount needed to light a 40W bulb—is almost always fatal.

Use this useful table from OSHA to determine the probable effects on the human body during an electric shock of one second:

Current level(Milliamperes)Probable Effect on Human Body
1 mAPerception level. Slight tingling sensation. Still dangerous under certain conditions.
5mASlight shock felt; not painful but disturbing. Average individual can let go. However, strong involuntary reactions to shocks in this range may lead to injuries.
6mA – 16mAPainful shock, begin to lose muscular control. Commonly referred to as the freezing current or “let-go” range.
17mA – 99mAExtreme pain, respiratory arrest, severe muscular contractions. Individual cannot let go. Death is possible.
100mA – 2000mAVentricular fibrillation (uneven, uncoordinated pumping of the heart.) Muscular contraction and nerve damage begins to occur. Death is likely.
> 2,000mACardiac arrest, internal organ damage, and severe burns. Death is probable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back