Sec. Zinke Issues Order to Expand Hunting, Fishing on Federal Lands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waterbaby

Escalante-Class Member
http://www.breitbart.com/big-govern...pand-hunting-fishing-national-wildlife-areas/

Sec. Zinke Issues Order to Expand Hunting, Fishing on Federal Lands

92d0e6408ab23129630f6a706700770d_s878x584-640x480.jpg

AP Photo/The Great Falls Tribune, Rion Sanders

by AWR Hawkins18 Sep 201799

Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke issued a September 15 order to expand hunting and fishing opportunities on federal lands around the country.
The order–Order No. 3356–sets in motion a plans to expand hunting and fishing opportunities by mandating studies and reports on where and how hunting and fishing can be expanded. To that end, the order “mandates the Department to submit reports, upon the Secretary’s approval, to the Wildlife and Hunting Heritage Conservation Council and the Sport Fishing and Boating Partnership Council for their respective responses and recommendations.” It also “instructs the Department to identify within 30 days, specific actions concerning recreational hunting and fishing on public lands and waters, habitat improvement, predator management, and access to public lands and waters.”

Zinke quoted President Theodore Roosevelt in order, writing:

As President Theodore Roosevelt recognized, “in a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” For generations, countless Americans have hunted and fished across the Nation’s natural landscapes and waters, enjoying opportunities steeped in traditions, rich in history, and integral to meeting many subsistence and sustenance needs, while also providing an effective means of managing various populations of wildlife species.

The reference to Roosevelt demonstrates Zinke’s understanding that hunting and fishing is a key component of conservation; that hunters and fisherman help keep animal populations as levels suitable for habitation continuation.

On March 3, 2017, Breitbart News reported that one of Zinke’s first acts as Interior Secretary was to repeal an Obama-era lead ban. The ban was a last minute move put forward during Obama’s final days in office. The lifting of the ban has been followed by efforts to expand hunting and fishing opportunities, with Order No. 3356 being only the latest example.

Hopefully, AZ GFD will get the hint, and start actually doing their job. We desperately need a depredation hunt in our area! We are totally overrun with cow elk. Recently,in less than a block in a residential area, I counted over 40 cows, and a corresponding number of calves, grazing along the road at mid day! Tonight, I heard a bull bugle in the front yard, and shined a light on a harem of about 50 cows and a 6 X 6 bull strolling down the driveway. And we live in the middle of town! They have eaten everything green except iris. Roses and lilacs seem to be their favorites. Luckily they have not challenged the 8' chain link fence around the garden. You do not exceed 40 MPH from here to Flag or Winslow at night! If you do you WILL hit one!

Tonight in Missouri Zinke signed a declaration making October National Hunting and Fishing month......

Hopefully, AZ GFD will get the hint, and start actually doing their job. We desperately need a depredation hunt in our area! We are totally overrun with cow elk. Recently,in less than a block in a residential area, I counted over 40 cows, and a corresponding number of calves, grazing along the road at mid day! Tonight, I heard a bull bugle in the front yard, and shined a light on a harem of about 50 cows and a 6 X 6 bull strolling down the driveway. And we live in the middle of town! They have eaten everything green except iris. Roses and lilacs seem to be their favorites. Luckily they have not challenged the 8' chain link fence around the garden. You do not exceed 40 MPH from here to Flag or Winslow at night! If you do you WILL hit one!
Sorry to hear about your roses, let me know if they issue over the counter tags for your area and I will be glad to sit on the front porch with my bow and guard those roses for you. ;)

Unfortunately, AZ GFD is apparently run by brain dead bureaucrats. They issue a limited number of tags for each hunt, but apparently do not pay much attention to the populations! They could put out a thousand all fall tags for cows in each of most of north central Arizona game units, and we would still have an overpopulation. When you see 100 cows grazing in the yard across the highway from the market, Yeah, we have too many.

It got worse last night. An apparently spurned P'oed 5X4 bull shredded half of a 15' high smoke bush before we could get a light on him and run him off! Our front yard is pretty well trashed for the first time in 15 years.
This evening as I came home, the property owners down the road were on ladders trying to save what is left of their apples as the elk were standing on their hind legs to get them yesterday.

Since you can not fire a gun within a half mile of a dwelling, you archery permit hunters for this unit are welcome to camp on my front porch.

I am wondering if you have this problem every year. If so and it is a legal place to archery hunt, then I would be happy to put in for that unit. My freezer is almost empty.;)

Early archery hunt was done Sunday. You need to put in early! Permits are hard to get. The bride will not let you hunt off the porch as she loves to watch them, even though they destroy the front yard!

Dale are you in Unit 5A south of 40 Winslow to Flagg? My daughters youth hunt starts in 2 weeks from tomorrow.

If so we would be glad to help you with your elk problem.

No. I am in Unit 22, below the Rim, between the Verde River and Tonto Creek. AZGFD does admit that we have a high concentration of elk, but says there are only 1700 in the Unit. Apparently, they are all in Pine. There were over 100 cows and calves in the yard across from the market when I came home tonight. Didn't see a bull, though. Bugeling continues all through the night. Does 5A go down to Clint's Well and the Lake Mary road? If so, you have a pretty good chance. there are elk all over there as well.

Good luck to your daughter. My granddaughter got her first elk on her first hunt. My son built her a 308 when she was 12. My new daughter in law used that gun to get hers last year. First time she ever pulled a trigger=one fat spike bull! Delicious!

5A is the rim north to 40 from 87 to knoll lake. I will be by on Wed and Thur. to chase them north for you. They only need to go north for a miles or two.

My daughter is 16 and this is her first tag. Took 5 years to get it. The other daughter got her first tag at 16, That was 7 years ago. They both shoot a 270 and my 7m.

She is a better shot then me. 2 weeks ago she put 6 rounds in a 2 inch circle at 100yards. All I need to do is find her one.

Yeah, come down here and chase them up the rim. The granddaughter can hit a target 12" square at 800 yards 90% of the time with that gun. I can't do that with anything I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back