Sand Gnats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Pyle

We are in a cove in Gunsight and the gnats are really bad. Way worse than I ever remember.

Does anyone know a spray or something that will keep them away from the boat?

Are the gnats usually worse by beaches with sand? Are they less when beaches on rocks alone?

Or are they just bad everywhere right now?

I noticed a lot at Antelope Marina also.

Just trying to decide if we should move to another spot.

Mike

I agree that the gnats are as bad as I've ever seen at least on the south end of the lake.

Re your question, my experience is they are much worse on beaches where there are lots of tamarisk that I'm anchored near, and much fewer around sandy beaches with few tamarisk, with rocky shores somewhere in the middle. But with that said, this year they seem horrible everywhere. At APM, there are lots of spiders to go along with the gnats, but out on the beach we just had gnats, no spiders.

Thanks Pegasus

I asked a few people at the fuel dock where they were and how bad the gnats were, pretty much bad everywhere.

Too bad we can’t call in a air strike and clear out a beach. Love the smell of DEET in the morning. If there were a lot of Agro planes in the area I would try. Haha

Mike

Several years ago I posted that a few passes with a Thrush Commander spraying methyl parathion (organophosphate) along the beach area would take care of all spiders, knats, scorpions, and Easter cone nose blood suckers (assassin bugs....the Navajo call em Walapai Tigers) for a long time.
Or one pass with a Lockheed Constellation spraying Zectran (Carbamate) even better.

Of course all humanity would have to stay out of the area for 36 hours, but then you'd be good to go.

Actually talked to Antelope Point about if for the spiders a few years ago.
Can you believe....they just laughed.

Ok, ok......so what's a few dead birds and fish here and there.

weeds

Spoke with someone at Antelope a few years ago as well. I offered no solutions so I got a little more than a laugh. The APM employee informed me that they cannot remove spiders or, I assume, any other wild life by National Park Service rule. He indicated the only exception is a poisonous life form.

Connor's dad

We are in a cove in Gunsight and the gnats are really bad. Way worse than I ever remember.

Does anyone know a spray or something that will keep them away from the boat?

Are the gnats usually worse by beaches with sand? Are they less when beaches on rocks alone?

Or are they just bad everywhere right now?

I noticed a lot at Antelope Marina also.

Just trying to decide if we should move to another spot.

Mike
We camped in Padre Bay last week and I have to agree that they are the worst I've ever seen. We were actually glad to come home, between the gnats and the wind it was not our best vacation ever. If anyone out there has tips on how to keep them away from the boat it would be greatly appreciated!

It was really bad in Dungeon as well. Someone invent an emitter that sounds like a bat's sonar, that should keep them away.

At the beginning of the week, we were all blowing out of our mouths "phht, phht" to keep the flys out. By the end of the week, we all were sucking in, no problem, nice snack... ;)

I agree that the gnats are as bad as I've ever seen at least on the south end of the lake.

Re your question, my experience is they are much worse on beaches where there are lots of tamarisk that I'm anchored near, and much fewer around sandy beaches with few tamarisk, with rocky shores somewhere in the middle. But with that said, this year they seem horrible everywhere. At APM, there are lots of spiders to go along with the gnats, but out on the beach we just had gnats, no spiders.
Are 'gnats' a euphemism for teenagers? Just sayin':LOL::sneaky::rolleyes:

As far as bats go, we have taken a number of old bats out on the lake and it didn't help the gnat problem.:confused: In fact, when my sister-in-law was out with us, that old bat brought her two gnats with her so it actually made it worse.o_O
Goblin

Up north its just clouds of mating midges. They don't bite so they don't bother me too much, just have to learn to keep my mouth shut when they swarm the shore. Must be right water temp for big hatches.

They are harmless Midge flies. They do not bite but are indicators of low-oxygen waters in a lake.
he Chironomidae comprise a families of nematoceran flies with a global distribution. They are closely related to the Ceratopogonidae, Simuliidae, and Thaumaleidae. Wikipedia

Scientific name: Chironomidae
Higher classification: Culicomorpha
Phylum: Arthropoda
Did you know: The predictable responses of populations of certain species to different levels of a variety of pollutants has resulted in the use of larval chironomids as biological indicators of water quality.

...he Chironomidae comprise a families of nematoceran flies with a global distribution. They are closely related to the Ceratopogonidae, Simuliidae, and Thaumaleidae…The predictable responses of populations of certain species to different levels of a variety of pollutants has resulted in the use of larval chironomids as biological indicators of water quality.
I was just about to say that.

Goblin

They are a pain in the ....wherever, but harmless. You could have an allergic reaction if you swallow them so keep Benadryl on hand. It works for dogs and people so is a must in every first aid kit. They also can cause reactions in your eyes. Flush asap to avoid their juices from stewing in your tears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back