San Juan Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mtkruzr

Camped at Paiute Canyon/Neskahi Wash basin from Aug 17 to Aug 24. The graphs show a medium- size school of stripers with an interesting sidescan view on the eastern shore of the basin. I say medium because earlier we graphed a huge school at the entrance of Paiute between two boat-eating reefs. As was described earlier, it was like an aggressive surface boil 40 feet under. Anything silver worked, every drop was a fish. We fished there three days in a row, same spot, as much as you wanted and at 4 PM. Mornings didn't graph so well, so we fished only afternoons. We came to assume this school had taken up residence because the graph displayed sizable shad schools in the same area as well. The fourth day the fish had scattered into smaller schools so we spot-locked a position with the i-Pilot and every 4 or 5 minutes thay showed up on the graph as if swimming a repetitive circuit.

We got a nice early-morning boil crashing shad on the east shore. The ravens were filling up and the smallies were going ballistic on topwater. We graphed that school straight out from the boil during the afternoon, and like Paiute, 40 feet down, silver spoons, as much as you wanted. We noticed ravens hanging out on the shoreline all day as if waiting for the next boil, so again; were they resident fish? Exercise caution because the east and south shores are full of wicked- looking rock reefs just above and below the surface. A couple of small boils swam within casting distance of camp and one of our friends caught two on a fly rod from shore. Smallmouth were everywhere and easily caught on Yamamoto grubs. Surprisingly, topwater worked all day on smallies over those wicked reefs.

Tuesday our camp blew out from the thunderstorms that day. We didn't see it because we were making our way back from the Escalante. Ferocious wind and rain, but no long fetch distances up there so surface conditions weren't too rough. But we saw 30 miles of waterfalls that were jaw dropping; a real NatGeo moment we were lucky to see.

iPhone Import 541.JPG iPhone Import 569.JPG iPhone Import 557.JPG iPhone Import 553.JPG iPhone Import 533.JPG iPhone Import 564.JPG iPhone Import 540.JPG

Great photos! You sure can go from feeling comfortable to scared pretty quick on LP....I would feel pretty exposed camped where you were when a T-storm came ripping through. BTW, that is a really nice boat!!!

Typically we camp on north/northeastern facing beaches because our experience tells us the prevailing afternoon winds and most thunderstorms travel southwest to northeast which puts us in the weather lee. Navajo Mountain acts as our weather telltale. Building cumulus over the mountain means typical southwest winds. Cumulus with occasional thunder and rain shafts, but with the mountain still visible means a gust front plus or minus rain, but when the mountain disappears behind a gray wall of rain, get ready to be clobbered. We know how to hunker down when it hits and it occasionally can come from any direction. Had I done due diligence and listened to the marine forecast, we would have not taken the day trip to the Escalante and stayed to protect camp, but would have missed the waterfalls. In this case we all agreed a trashed camp was a small price to pay to be able to see the waterfalls. These monsters would have gotten us no matter what. Video to follow on the recreation board. BTW the boat is a Ranger Fisherman Series 621 and is awesome.

Typically we camp on north/northeastern facing beaches because our experience tells us the prevailing afternoon winds and most thunderstorms travel southwest to northeast which puts us in the weather lee. Navajo Mountain acts as our weather telltale. Building cumulus over the mountain means typical southwest winds. Cumulus with occasional thunder and rain shafts, but with the mountain still visible means a gust front plus or minus rain, but when the mountain disappears behind a gray wall of rain, get ready to be clobbered. We know how to hunker down when it hits and it occasionally can come from any direction. Had I done due diligence and listened to the marine forecast, we would have not taken the day trip to the Escalante and stayed to protect camp, but would have missed the waterfalls. In this case we all agreed a trashed camp was a small price to pay to be able to see the waterfalls. These monsters would have gotten us no matter what. Video to follow on the recreation board. BTW the boat is a Ranger Fisherman Series 621 and is awesome.
We always joke that the only time we get to see the waterfalls is when we made bad decisions and are out on the water when the storms hit! And yes, we've done that a few times but no waterfalls as big as those that you posted photos of. Fantastic!

It must have been the 21st, we got caught in it at Moki, and it ripped my bimini top off, and by the time we got back to Bullfrog, it was the worst storm, I have ever been in anywhere. And I've been in Tornado's. My Tritoon was all most flipped, end for end. My Grand kid's were terrified, along with the rest of us. The house boat's were jumping 4 ft, at least, and it was as violent, as I and a lot of other people, that have been going for 30 year's, have ever seen. Had a lot of damage to my boat. But was just tickled pink, to get out of it. Never seen it rain, any harder then that. Any where I have ever been.

Nice report, and glad you made it through it o.k.
Have a good one.
KyKevin

Guess we just missed it - we left on the 20th. Between this report and the microburst - what I wouldn't give for a web cam on the Halls buoy field. Guess we'll find out if we are still standing next Friday

Guess we just missed it - we left on the 20th. Between this report and the microburst - what I wouldn't give for a web cam on the Halls buoy field. Guess we'll find out if we are still standing next Friday

Bride,
If things go as planned, my son, granddaughter and I will be launching out of Bullfrog at first light tomorrow, Saturday, headed uplake. I will be motoring by the Halls Buoy field, I'll try and take a picture and post it up...

Bride,
If things go as planned, my son, granddaughter and I will be launching out of Bullfrog at first light tomorrow, Saturday, headed uplake. I will be motoring by the Halls Buoy field, I'll try and take a picture and post it up...

I would appreciate that! Sounds like there have been some nasty winds the past few weeks. We are at the far end of the field (Moki direction) close to shore. The yellow kayak peeking above the black canvas on the top deck makes it easy to find.

I keep thinking we need to form a neighborhood watch. Whenever one of us is down, we circle around the "neighborhood" and post an alert if something seems amiss. Elusive Lady and I have started to exchange "all is good" reports with each other this year.

I would appreciate that! Sounds like there have been some nasty winds the past few weeks. We are at the far end of the field (Moki direction) close to shore. The yellow kayak peeking above the black canvas on the top deck makes it easy to find.

I keep thinking we need to form a neighborhood watch. Whenever one of us is down, we circle around the "neighborhood" and post an alert if something seems amiss. Elusive Lady and I have started to exchange "all is good" reports with each other this year.

Thanks for the info on it. I saw that picture Ryan posted last week or two, so think I will recognize it. I'll try and get you an "all is good" shot of it!

Guess I had better get packed, looks like its going to rain here.

Have a fabulous trip
Good evening Bride. Sorry so late getting back with you. The pictures are from Saturday morning we just got off the lake tonight and headed home. Lots of fish, I’ll post a report tomorrow. But here’s a couple of pictures of your houseboat, from what I can tell it looks like it weathered the storm . The one next to yours looks pretty rough, not sure if that’s normal or not. Lots of driving to do, more tomorrow.

Good evening Bride. Sorry so late getting back with you. The pictures are from Saturday morning we just got off the lake tonight and headed home. Lots of fish, I’ll post a report tomorrow. But here’s a couple of pictures of your houseboat, from what I can tell it looks like it weathered the storm . The one next to yours looks pretty rough, not sure if that’s normal or not. Lots of driving to do, more tomorrow.
I can’t tell if the pictures went through or not from my cell phone. I I’ll send a couple and hope I’m not being redundant .
6DDCC723-E8F8-4C02-ACB1-226E8B789244.jpeg

Attachments

• C8DF6D3A-05DE-4FA2-AD5A-3FE915D24A68.jpeg
    C8DF6D3A-05DE-4FA2-AD5A-3FE915D24A68.jpeg
    368.9 KB · Views: 39
THANKS! Nice to see everything looks good.

Hope you had a great trip! We are excited for ours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back