San Juan Pre-LP Pics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raven Haven

My favorite part of Lake Powell! I took my last (and best) Trash Tracker group into Paiute Bay to camp last July. Ever since the late 90s when I discovered the digital archives of NAU Cline Library, University of Utah Marriot, and Fort Lewis, I've been looking for an aerial or river-level photo of the Paiute Wash/Bay area before the lake filled up. Does anybody have a photo or has anyone ever seen one? The only pre-lake pics I've ever seen of the area are river level close-ups of the rapids somewhere near Paiute.

1955 Here's the caption:
The San Juan River at the beginning of Paiute Farms. The boat is aground. The river depth averaged only a foot or less, and the sediment was arranged in a herring bone pattern with the shallowest part at the downstream point. Finding and staying in 'deep' water was an interesting challenge. See the note and diagram on the second map near mile marker 53.

USGS EarthExplorer has a 1951 aerial but the resolution is quite low. It's interesting to look at but if you are trying to pick out things on the ground expect the smallest resolvable object to be about 10-20 meters in diameter. There is a '53 aerial also with slightly better resolution.

My favorite part of Lake Powell! I took my last (and best) Trash Tracker group into Paiute Bay to camp last July. Ever since the late 90s when I discovered the digital archives of NAU Cline Library, University of Utah Marriot, and Fort Lewis, I've been looking for an aerial or river-level photo of the Paiute Wash/Bay area before the lake filled up. Does anybody have a photo or has anyone ever seen one? The only pre-lake pics I've ever seen of the area are river level close-ups of the rapids somewhere near Paiute.

Last edited:
They stated that they were at paiute farms which is in Zahn Bay which doesn't exist now. It was the next large bay above Paiute maybe 15-20 miles. Gotta love that area but is probably very witchy now. We will be there for one week may 16-21. So excited, probably will have 2 spare props.

They stated that they were at paiute farms which is in Zahn Bay which doesn't exist now. It was the next large bay above Paiute maybe 15-20 miles. Gotta love that area but is probably very witchy now. We will be there for one week may 16-21. So excited, probably will have 2 spare props.
You're going to the San Juan? Please post a couple pics when you get back!

USGS EarthExplorer has a 1951 aerial but the resolution is quite low. It's interesting to look at but if you are trying to pick out things on the ground expect the smallest resolvable object to be about 10-20 meters in diameter. There is a '53 aerial also with slightly better resolution.
Capt, Do you choose aerial photo mosaics? In the search criteria do you use coordinates? Cool sight but I'm unfamiliar with the search parameters.

We should be in the area of Cha the 17th -23rd. We usually fish Cha to the Great Bend. We will have 2 bass boats with the HB, a Stratos & Ranger

Capt, Do you choose aerial photo mosaics? In the search criteria do you use coordinates? Cool sight but I'm unfamiliar with the search parameters.

You click in the Northwest of the area you are interested in to start and then I move clockwise to finish three more clicks to make a rectangle.

Then move to the "Data Sets" tab and choose "aerial single photo frames". Next click on the results tab. The photos from the 1950s start on page 8 I think.

When you get the the results you click on the little foot symbol and it will show you what the image covers.

Beware sometimes the imagery is rotated like in the screenshot below so you would need to rotate it to north after you download it. Also, to download the high resolution images you need to set up a free account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back