San Juan Debris report

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
Trash Tracker Crew just came back from the SJ and reported lots of debris upstream

"The Trash Tracker did the San Juan last week. It is a mess. Silt starts at the beginning of the Great Bend and the debris fields start just after that. There are huge debris fields from the top of the Great Bend to around Alcove Canyon. Every nook and cranny is jammed with trash and debris. We kept hitting submerged logs and damaged the props on both work boats. The winds were so bad we had to call it quits it was so bad. Dozens of tires and rims, and every kind of plastic and propane containers are visible in the debris."

Hello Wayne, I have been trying to help with the reduction of the striper population for over 20 yrs, first time posting on your new site, very nice page I must say. We are headed to the San Juan next friday for 5 days and was wondering how Piute Canyon looked for debris and water clarity, we were there at the end of Sept. and did great with the down riggers set a 65+ feet, removed 52 nice stripers which was great compared to how bad the wind was. I appreciate your time.

Wow. 110 degrees, silt, mud and trash filled bays....sounds like a good time...to be in the mountains! I love a good spring trip to LP, but why on earth would you want to go there now?

Hello Wayne, I have been trying to help with the reduction of the striper population for over 20 yrs, first time posting on your new site, very nice page I must say. We are headed to the San Juan next friday for 5 days and was wondering how Piute Canyon looked for debris and water clarity, we were there at the end of Sept. and did great with the down riggers set a 65+ feet, removed 52 nice stripers which was great compared to how bad the wind was. I appreciate your time.

It looks like Piute Canyon is okay with most of the driftwood further up on the Great Bend. You might want to find a camping spot in Cha bay which also has good fishing and slurping stripers as well.

I appreciate all of the responses, we had Cha in mind. All we can do is give it a try. Thanks.

some debris from Cha up, do-able just keeps your eyes open. Paiute/bay is green with good visability And slurps all day. Very few people up here I have seen maybe three boats all day. Smallie bite is ridiculous. Life is good (maybe a little hot). ;). You are missing out Dorado!

TR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back