San Juan County’s largest Navajo chapter formally opposes Bears Ears Monument

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bart

The Bears Ears story is not unique in the sense that Obama’s Interior Department and crony environmentalist special interest groups conspired to use Native Americans as a front to push a big government, globalist agenda.

When a group of white environmentalists devised the Bears Ears Intertribal Coalition in order to put a Native American face on a massive federal land grab, the tribal chapters–save for a handful of individuals–who actually live in San Juan County vehemently opposed the plan.

The same players; radical environmentalists, Obama, the bleeding heart Hollywood elite, did the same thing with the Standing Rock Sioux in North Dakota, by using Native Americans as the sympathetic face of a progressive, anti-prosperity power grab.

http://freerangereport.com/index.ph...chapter-formally-opposes-bears-ears-monument/

Standing Rock Protests Tied to Soros-Funded Group ... left-wing activism groups funded by liberal billionaires George Soros and Tom Steyer.

Democracy Alliance is the second indirect tie between the Bold Alliance and Soros. Soros’ donations to the Tides Foundation and to Democracy Alliance both indirectly benefit the pipeline resistance actions in Louisiana. Already, critics of the Bold Alliance efforts in Nebraska have used the donations to attempt to characterize the group as an arm of rich coastal ideologues.

http://www.insidesources.com/standing-rock-protests-tied-soros-funded-group/

Big money, environmentalists and the Bears Ears story... who met in San Francisco to discuss, among other things, if it was wise to "hitch our success to the Navajo."

Many Utah Navajo are against a monument designation for Bears Ears.. as the Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation announced its biggest ever round of grants for environmental causes — some $15.6 million — with some of that going to the Bears Ears campaign.

Byron Clarke, vice president of the Navajo community group Blue Mountain Dine' and a member of the Aneth Chapter of the Navajo Nation, does not support a monument designation and said he's bothered by the implications from the San Francisco meeting of the Conservation Lands Foundation.

"The whole tone of it seems like the tribes are generally being used as pawns for the environmental groups to get what they really want," Clarke said. "They are being played. It is somewhat insulting."

"This is not a grass-roots Native American effort to protect sacred lands," said Blanding City Manager Jeremy Redd. "This is an effort by environmental groups to get what they want. … People feel like they are being run over by the money and the organization that these special interest groups have. Sadly, local people don't have that kind of money behind them."

Redd added that the Utah portion of the Navajo nation, Native Americans who live off reservation in San Juan County and the Blue Mountain Dine are nearly "across the board," opposed to the monument designation.

Since when do the locals matter? How can they possibly know what is best for them? The elite stars have a duty to save the world and if some local people think they know better they will berate them. The Navajo will be used and I applaude the Nation for seeing through the charade.
Big money, environmentalists and the Bears Ears story... who met in San Francisco to discuss, among other things, if it was wise to "hitch our success to the Navajo."

Many Utah Navajo are against a monument designation for Bears Ears.. as the Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation announced its biggest ever round of grants for environmental causes — some $15.6 million — with some of that going to the Bears Ears campaign.

Byron Clarke, vice president of the Navajo community group Blue Mountain Dine' and a member of the Aneth Chapter of the Navajo Nation, does not support a monument designation and said he's bothered by the implications from the San Francisco meeting of the Conservation Lands Foundation.

"The whole tone of it seems like the tribes are generally being used as pawns for the environmental groups to get what they really want," Clarke said. "They are being played. It is somewhat insulting."

"This is not a grass-roots Native American effort to protect sacred lands," said Blanding City Manager Jeremy Redd. "This is an effort by environmental groups to get what they want. … People feel like they are being run over by the money and the organization that these special interest groups have. Sadly, local people don't have that kind of money behind them."

Redd added that the Utah portion of the Navajo nation, Native Americans who live off reservation in San Juan County and the Blue Mountain Dine are nearly "across the board," opposed to the monument designation.

As it turns out Secretary Zinke is touring the area today evaluating the situation in person. I honestly cannot remember the last time a Secretary of the Interior was as hands-on as this Secretary. Zinke is one of my favorite appointments this President made... I'm posting a separate thread with photos from his tour today.

The locals who know this area oppose taking this much land, too.....

https://navajotimes.com/opinion/letters/ltters-protecting-1-9-million-acres-excessive/

Protecting 1.9 million acres is excessive

August 25, 2016

Let’s talk about what-ifs: What if someone wanted to put say, 10 oil rigs out on this proposed Bears Ears Monument? Would it help the economy of the poorest county in the state?

Yes!

Each rig would need 10 acres (just a guess). That’s a total of 100 acres. They want to protect 1,900,000 acres for 100 acres. That’s a little excessive.

Would the oil rigs really offend people that came here to see the ruins? No, it has not bothered anyone yet. One of the canyons with the highest concentration of ruins in the county already has many oil rigs on it and it does not stop anyone from visiting.

What if someone wanted to do some uranium mining? Would it go right in the middle of ruins? No, they are already protected under the antiquities laws. Cedar Mesa is already mostly wilderness area and designated National Historic area. Let’s say someone did want a uranium mine and it took 200 acres. They want to protect 1,900,000 acres for 200 acres of mining? Would it help the local economy? Yes! Would it bother or stop anyone from visiting ruins or enjoying the beauty of the Bears Ears? No!

When Secretary Jewell came to visit she was taken to a ruin called Moon House. This ruin has been there approximately 1,000 years. It still has paint on the inside walls and most of the ruins in its immediate vicinity are whole. They and all the ruins have been and will continue to be protected. Only 20 people a day are allowed into this particular ruin. You have to stop and get a permit to go there and see them. No dogs are allowed at the ruins.

These and all the ruins sound pretty protected already. They are 1,000 years old after all. Weather and animals have played a part in the destruction. The locals that supposedly have looted and destroyed these ruins must have missed this ruin and many others. I can personally take anyone to any canyon in this county and show you whole, still intact ruins. The people that put holes in the ruins and did most of the looting were the Wetherills over 130 years ago.

Yes, we have some scoundrels that may do some looting but just wait and see what kind of destruction happens when you bring in hordes of people to explore these canyons and ruins.

The locals love this land and want to be able to make a living and not destroy anything. We just want to live in our solitude and share the land as needed. Putting 1,900,000 acres into a national monument is excessive. We already have Hovenweep National Monument, Natural Bridges National Monument, Canyonlands National Park, Glen Canyon National Recreation Area, National Forest, the Ute Reservation, and the Navajo Reservation within our county.

Can we please have a little land to hunt, fish, gather wood, and recreate on? Maybe we could have a little for making some money too.

Wendy Black
Blanding, Utah

I thought I saw that Zinke did not recommend any rollback in the illegal Clinton/Obama land grabs. Was I seeing the Washington Compost or the New York Slimes?

Not too much info out there, a lot of speculation still.

The leaked memo is over here, it does not get into specifics but does recommend BENM and GSENM be reduced in size: https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/4052225-Interior-Secretary-Ryan-Zinke-s-Report-to-the.html

This Salt Lake Tribune article includes a map indicating what the state would like to see and what the county wants (or at least, used to want) to see: http://www.sltrib.com/news/environm...s-feds-trim-bears-ears-monument-by-90-percent

The fun part (one guy's opinions):

The state's proposed area, while bigger than neighboring Natural Bridges, is around 120,000 acres - a huge reduction in size and a not-so-coy slap in the face for the greenies. The article states that this is the area Zinke spent his time visiting.

The area proposed by the county includes Cedar Mesa, and I agree that Grand Gulch deserves protection.

The detached Mancos Mesa section is disguised as part of the monument. I believe it was included because of potential useful minerals. You will never have a chance to see this area except maybe from the air.

The state wants to designate the Indian Creek region as a National Recreation Area - the first I've heard of this idea, it might have some merit.

The huge Dark Canyon/Ruin Park region has several Wilderness Study Areas, monument status would finally lock these areas up for good. (If memory serves) Only Congress can make official Wilderness areas (as opposed to WSA's), this leads me to think that this is another end run to lock up those lands.

This monument will do nothing to protect the area. It will bring in hordes of...humans that will trash the place. To be pro-monument is to want it destroyed.

Few will be happy with the result, whatever that may be.

Thanks for reading.

I agree with you and the writer of the letter I posted above - right now most of these sites are not well know - this alone helps keep them more protected than suddenly turning it into another major tourist attraction. I am a pretty conservative person, but the other night watching a program on The Smithsonian Channel about our national parks and their history - it showed how we have literally loved many of them - like Yosemite - to death.. Crossing of The Fathers monument at Lake Powell was pristine - until tourists found them and thought defacing would be fun past-time.

Just another attempt by the left to force us off our public lands. We have been fighting attempted road closures in our National forests here for at least 30 years. It started with the fake spotted owl, and has gotten worse. The Tonto NF is supposedly the heaviest used National Forest in the country, and they are trying to close off all the old, previously numbered roads!

Not Psychic at all! Just reporting what the leftist controlled USFS has been doing for over 30 years here! They used the spotted owl lie to shut down logging, close every sawmill, and destroy thousands of jobs in NE Arizona, as well as most of the pacific Northwest. They started pulling forest road signs, and taking D 9's to the end of the roads, and dropping the rippers to tear up the roads. When they got back to the main road, they would plow up a 10' high berm. We have lost over 75% of the fire roads, which we also used for firewood cutting, to these thugs over the last 30 years, and as a result, the forests are overgrown, the firefighters can not get to the lightening strikes, and the 5000 acre fires are now 500,000 acre fires!

EVERY BIG FIRE, ESPECIALLY IN MEXIFORNIA, IS CAUSED BY THE LEFTISTS WHO WILL NOT LET US TAKE CARE OF OUR PROPERTY! Yes, WB, I AM SCREAMING!

Those of you in that area need to get involved! contact everyone you can, from your county supervisors to the local FS people, to the representative and up the chain from there! Especially your congressman and senators! The pathetic loser Orrin Hatch is quite vulnerable!

leftist controlled USFS has been doing for over 30 years
Here in Colorado we have suffered from the pine beetle that I believe could have been stopped with some effort and fire/logging 25 years ago. I have a saying about the USFS, "They have "protected" our forests to death."

Here in Colorado we have suffered from the pine beetle that I believe could have been stopped with some effort and fire/logging 25 years ago. I have a saying about the USFS, "They have "protected" our forests to death."

The photo in JBinNM's post looks like the roads they closed here. All were numbered and well traveled, and many did not even need a high clearance vehicle. That one looks like a typical driveway!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back