Sam Sherwood report

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
I was to host Bob Seiter (Sun Country Floors Owner/Pres) and his BIL from SLC this past Thursday and Friday but when BIL Brent didn't show Wed evening, Bob and I hustled it up to the San Juan on Thursday morning and fished from 7:45 till 3 pm and caught 131 fish, mostly smallmouth but they were mostly dinks. A few LM, stripers, and crappie tossed in as well. The incoming wind and threat of rain had us head back to Wahweap sooner than expected. Most fish caught on Ned rig and Yamamoto dbl tail jigs with a few crank fish and top water also.

Brent showed up Thursday night and off we went again about 6:15 am Friday morning but we stayed closer to Padre Bay and Gregory Butte area. We had 103 at lunch time but 2-3 times the weight of the San Juan fish. All the species we caught in SJ came aboard again this day and we also caught 4 walleye and some really good LM inc the biggest one I have hooked in 35 years on Powell. I would not waste the time/gas ($5.93 at Dangling Rope Marina) to go back to the San Juan for bass fishing but it does seem to shine when the striper boils get going in summer and surprisingly it was the most popular fishing spot by far with a dozen boats up there in the same (Piute) Bay we were in.

63 degree water in the morning and 70 in the late PM. Upper 50's air temp in AM, low 80's in the afternoon. The fish were in 2-8' of water. The water is low so look out for 'surprises' and be prepared for some rough water when leaving Wahweap launch and going around through the narrows over to Antelope Point Marina to go uplake. This is the only route available on the water down south with the low water conditions. With tour boats and high volumes of boats through these narrows during 'business hours' it's not the place for a smaller boat, bad backs, or the faint of heart! Luckily I was only 2 for 3 in these areas...

Sam Sherwood
4/25&26/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back