Runoff going strong early in the Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
The lake came up another foot and is now at 3596 with 41k Acft coming in and 18K going out. If this continues for another month or two the high water dreams may be fulfilled.

Dungee reported mudline (2 feet visibility) at Castle Butte and 5-10 feet visibility at the restroom and green water down to Cedar Canyon. His report will follow when he gets home.

Just returned from GHB. Was there the 29th thru the 2nd.
Castle Butte / Blue Notch was stained. 1-2 feet visibility.
On the Horn 1 foot visibility.
Fished Ticaboo, water was much better there.
The week was cool / cold and wet. Fishing was slow.
Camped and Fished Cedar canyon. 1 night
Camped and Fished Forgotten canyon. 1 night
Camped and Fished Ticaboo canyon. 2 nights
Came home early because weather was getting worse.........
We caught stripers in the very backs of canyons in 3-7 feet of water???? Go figure.

Just returned from GHB. Was there the 29th thru the 2nd.
Castle Butte / Blue Notch was stained. 1-2 feet visibility.
On the Horn 1 foot visibility.
Fished Ticaboo, water was much better there.
The week was cool / cold and wet. Fishing was slow.
Camped and Fished Cedar canyon. 1 night
Camped and Fished Forgotten canyon. 1 night
Camped and Fished Ticaboo canyon. 2 nights
Came home early because weather was getting worse.........
We caught stripers in the very backs of canyons in 3-7 feet of water???? Go figure.

Catching stripers in shallow water in the springtime can mean that:
1. Shad or sunfish are in shallow water and the healthy stripers are trapping them against shore so they can eat their fill
OR:
2. Some thin stripers have been left behind by the fast moving school and they are foraging for anything they can find to eat including crayfish or a random small fish that moves slow enough for the striper to catch.

Which of these fish did you catch? Bass fishermen pounding the shoreline normally catch #2.

Also: Any sign of walleye?

The Stripers in the back shallows of the canyons were skinny but large.
Deeper water using down riggers (20'-40') we caught big healthy Stripers,
a few Walleye and a few Crappie. No Large mouths?? Trolling GHB nothing, water was colored.
Small mouth were plentiful on Wednesdays and Thursday in Ticaboo but no so good in Cedar or Forgotten.
Fish a little in Cedar mid canyon with anchovies and caught a few big healthy Stripers........
I would rate the trip - SLOW - Fishing was slow - Too cold, rainy and blowing sand. Not the best trip ever.
Brought home two gallons bags of fillets. Did Okay.

Preston ? Sorry I didn't recognize you when you turned around as we passed. Would have loved to visit!
We were camped in Ticaboo left Saturday 11 am and went to Cedar...20170401_200422[1].jpg

Last edited:
This year’s levels, Runoff started March, 16 Water level April 2, 2017 was 3596.35

upload_2017-4-3_23-48-42.jpg

Last year’s levels, Runoff started April, 16,2016

upload_2017-4-4_0-9-18.png

Last edited:
This makes me wonder when the "peak" runoff will happen this year. In years past, seems like June 10 thru 20 is typical, but this is not a typical year.
I've always wanted to be at the lake when there is 100K CFM rolling in- That would be great to see... up a foot a day... Dreaming I know.
On another note, how do they estimate inflow per day when there are so many active tributaries in the spring?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back